Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AsphaltBelyflop
Oct 18, 2004
Eat me.
Does anyone know if the monthly payment changes when you get rate reductions? My gut tells me no, but I'm not certain.

I'm trying to put together an Excel spreadsheet that will calculate this stuff exactly and show me the benefits of various consolidation offers in dollars and cents.

Edit: Actually, if the payments don't lower, the loan will almost definitely be paid off before it's term...

AsphaltBelyflop fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 26, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsphaltBelyflop
Oct 18, 2004
Eat me.

Wiggy Marie posted:

It doesn't change the payments themselves, but the amount of payment going to interest vs. principal.

I got your PMs, and I'm sorry I didn't reply; it's really hard for me to keep up with SA during the work week since I can't touch the site at work, hehe.

I can help with general questions about consolidation, and I can help break down how different benefits can help you. Remember, interest rate reductions before anything else!!!

If you find another great company, please post it here so that I can add it to the OP. And hey, thanks for registering! You are The Awesome!!!

Don't worry about the PMs. I figured most of the answers out anyway.

I haven't found any other great companies or anything, but if I finish up this spreadsheet I'll send it your way. That way you'll be able to tell directly if one offer is better than another, and perhaps distribute it to other people who would like to see the benefits of various offers.

I'll work on it today and post if I get something viable working.

AsphaltBelyflop
Oct 18, 2004
Eat me.
Ok, so I finished my calculator, and I checked the two options in the OP.

Assuming it is a 24 year loan, NTHEA would save you ~$850 over the life of the loan (with the considerations presented). I suppose it's worth mentioning that a lot of that can come from the final $599 forgiveness. If you paid attention towards the end of your loan you could actually maximize it with minimal effort for an even higher yield.

I've fiddled with the variables a little, and NTHEA always comes out on top, but the final savings fluctuate a bit. Also, it's worth noting that $850 saved over 24 years is nothing to get too excited about.

I also included a way to calculate the benefit (if any) of paying more than the minimum on the loan. Unless I am doing the calculations wrong (which is possible, but they seem to check), I will never pay more than my minimum. The money you would add to your payment can earn a great deal more.

For instance, sticking with the OP, if I were to choose NTHEA as my consolidator and then pay $300 a month instead of the $211.56 minimum, I could earn $2000 more in interest (from a savings account with a 4.5% APY) than I would save by paying the loan off early (this of course would require me to actually save every penny of that difference and not touch it for the life of the loan - easy enough I guess, but I imagine most people would rather spend it). Again, $2000 over 24 years is not a whole lot of cash, neither is 4.5% though.

If anyone is interested in taking a look at the calc/using it yourself just send me a pm. I tried to make it as versatile as possible.

AsphaltBelyflop
Oct 18, 2004
Eat me.
Hey Wiggy,

Sorry about not getting back to you with my loan calculator... I left the country, traveled for a long time, finished school, got a job, and managed to misplace the calculator in the meantime. I'll see if I can dig it up, but looking around for consolidation options makes me wonder if it's even that useful of a spreadsheet anymore. A bunch of places that used to offer consolidation seem to have dried up in my absence. What the hell happened, and do you know of a couple good places to compare in the "new" market?

AsphaltBelyflop
Oct 18, 2004
Eat me.
Bullshit. This sucks.

Will any of this be fixed in the near future? Like... immediately, or am I just screwed... the bastard stepchild of a system that is ignorant to the effects of its own actions?

If I remember correctly, you can "re-consolidate" loans so long as you have two or more. Would it be beneficial to keep one loan out of any consolidation I attempt so that I can re-consolidate when/if any of this gets fixed? Isn't it bad to consolidate after repayment has started... are the "penalties" associated with consolidating after repayment prohibitive in the sense that they will be much less beneficial than the alternative?

No luck on the calculator so far... I have to have it somewhere though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsphaltBelyflop
Oct 18, 2004
Eat me.
While I'm in a crap position, I don't envy yours. Sorry.