Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whovian Bookworm
Oct 25, 2004
Just this once, everybody lives!
I'm currently in need of a loan to survive the spring semester. I'm an undergraduate with not good credit. My mom is jobless and recently homeless with really really bad credit, she's currently not paying the one PLUS loan someone was stupid enough to give her. My dad's credit is just as bad and he has no job as he's currently going back to school. My financial aid office told me to try for a private loan.

Is it possible for my dad to apply for a second PLUS loan for me? If not, do you know of any private loans that he may qualify for? We tried Sallie Mae and were denied, so I don't have much hope, but its worth a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whovian Bookworm
Oct 25, 2004

Wiggy Marie posted:

Chouzan, are you already maxed out on Staffords for the year? If not, a PLUS loan denial will actually get you additional Stafford funding. If yes...your co-signer for an alternative loan doesn't HAVE to be a parent, they can be *anyone* who is credit-worthy. What school are you at? I can try to find some alt loan information for ya.

I have the subsidized (I think) stafford, but my mom already has a PLUS loan out for this school year, it just wasn't enough to cover other stuff like rent and food. I don't have any other family, and no credit-worthy friends. My school is a tiny liberal arts college, Albertson College of Idaho.

Whovian Bookworm
Oct 25, 2004
Are there any decent alternate loans that you recommend? Any that are specifically for the gap between tuition and living? One of my roommates left unexpectedly, so I need a loan for room & board this year. I need a non-certified loan, if possible, as my financial aid office has refused/lowered PLUS loan amounts/certified loans on me before, so I really need to try to get this loan without involving them.

Whovian Bookworm
Oct 25, 2004

Catenoid posted:

Mine just sent me a check for the full amount in less than a week (Chase), and they had my loan added to my online account immediately and gave me a year after graduation before I have to start repaying the loan. I just had to prove enrollment, and everything else was pretty straightforward. Would use again A++.

The federal loans just institutionalize the practice of forcing students to take out loans, and they subsidize universities at the students' expense, so pecans to you, pecans to you, almonds to you, almonds to you, and so on and so forth. :(

Well, they do have a non-certified private loan, but my school isn't listed, as they don't participate in it. I'm at a loss of what to do, I've emailed my financial aid office twice this month, and I'm ready to kill them already... What most frustrates me is that they're well aware of myself and other students having this problem, but seem to offer no help.