Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I think you'll be able to help me.

I'm going into my 3rd semester this fall. I have an academic scholarship (tuition, room, and board), plus Stafford loans, and my parents were denied for the PLUS loan, so I will be eligible for more Stafford loans. Altogether, about $9k.

HOWEVER, I'm an Aviation student- and if you know anything about that, it's an expensive road to go down. So, I'll be needing about $7000 extra each year to pay for flight training.

I realize I'll need a cosigner, which shouldn't be a problem, but I'm at a loss of which loan to go for. Originally, I was going to do Sallie Mae, but I'm reconsidering after reading this thread. Basically what I am asking is which loan company is best to go for in my situation, right now. Feel free to PM me if you need more details or would like to talk in private. Thanks for this thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Wiggy Marie posted:

Second, you're correct: I've spoken with aviation student, and holy hell it's like a medical degree but with flying.

What alternative loans has the school recommended, and/or which are you checking out personally? Every single one is different, and there are billions out there, so gimme a start point and I'm all over it.

Oh well, flying is fun :)

As far as alternative loans go, I don't have any leads really. After Gov't loans, the people at my financial aid center said that a private loan was what I would have to get, and pointed me to the brochures for the private loans. I'm not sure if they were busy that day or what, but not very helpful. I can all them if you want me to, and see what they recommend, but I can't go by there because it's about 200 miles away. I might do that tomorrow, though.

I was going to check out Astrive and Chase, simply because I've heard of them. I might also check out my hometown bank's student loans, but I'm not sure how they'll be. It's Arvest Bank, if you're curious.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I wish I could help some more, but my internet is crawling around 14.4k down (Hopefully getting fixed tomorrow). http://www.hsu.edu is the website, Henderson State University. I'll give them a call tomorrow morning and let you know what they say, though.

edit- http://www.hsu.edu/content.aspx?id=8257 <-- preferred lenders.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Wiggy Marie posted:

CloFan and Dismayed Jester, I haven't forgotten you two. I WILL get back to you, I promise! Feel free to nag me in PMs and IMs to remind me.

Cool. I know I gave you a big job by not having any idea of what companies I want to loan from ;) Also, there's a nice big Sallie Mae banner at the top of this page... hmm, unless you respond soon, I might click it...

But really, thanks for helping me and other goons out! You rock!