Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thepedestrian
Dec 13, 2004
hey lady, you call him dr. jones!
I'm going to be starting grad school at UT Austin in the fall, and I've been offerred both subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford loans. Due to scholarships, some good investing of my college fund by my grandpa and the generosity of my parents, I never had to deal with student loans in undergrad, so I'm way out of my depth.

I accepted my financial aid awards through UT's website and I was greeted by a HUGE list of lenders and it said hey, pick one. So uhh...who the hell do I go with?

I feel like this question may have been answered before, but I swear I've read through this entire thread, I read the OP twice, and I still don't really know what to do. I couldn't possibly research every choice on the list, there has to be at least 40-50. I'm leaning towards Frost Bank because they sent me something in the mail and it didn't sound too bad, but I'm not too good with money and I don't really have a good frame of reference.

It sounds like a lot of this advice is for what to do once school is up and you have to start repaying, but I haven't even gotten my loans yet.

Also, if for some reason the lender I choose for this first year includes monthly pokes in the eye or something else undesirable that I didn't realize, can I go for someone different for the next year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepedestrian
Dec 13, 2004

anonin posted:

i just registered for your site, but whats all this about having my parents sign and date something and faxing it to you? i thought it would be a simple registration...

I'm guessing you're either 13 or you weren't paying attention at the screen that asks you if you're over/under 13. They made a law a few years back that people under 13 can't participate in internet forums without parental consent. Or something like that, I'm a little hazy on the details since the internet was all grey backgrounds and blink tags when I was 13.

thepedestrian
Dec 13, 2004
I heard through a not terribly reliable source that the debt ceiling bill ended subsidized student loans and even subsidized loans taken out before the bill passed will start accruing interest at some time next year. I'm in grad school for a minimum of 18 more months (though on fellowship now, no longer need loans) and I have one subsidized loan left. Am I going to have to start making payments while I'm still in school and broke?

thepedestrian
Dec 13, 2004
Ok, I phrased things poorly. I am concerned about my subsidized loans (which were taken out in ~2008) becoming unsubsidized and interest will start accuring. It seems this will indeed happen in July of next year? From that CS Monitor article linked above:

quote:

Starting July 1, 2012, that subsidy will stop, and interest will begin to accrue while students are still in school.