Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kuuz
Feb 10, 2005

Wiggy Marie posted:

When are my loans deferred (no payments due)?

You must be at least half time or more at a Title 4 school - that is, any school that is capable of participating in the federal loan program. It doesn’t have to actually participate, it just has to be eligible to. Several online colleges are also eligible.

If you are not sure if your school is a Title 4 school, there's a handy search link up above for you to use!

Please excuse me if this has been answered, but if I continue directly onto graduate school (medical or masters) after my undergrad my loans will continue to be deferred until I'm less than half-time status, correct?

Does that mean that my subsidized loans (Perkins, Stafford) will continue to be subsidized until I'm below half-time status? I'd love to hold on to these subsidized loans for as long as possible. It's a really good deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuuz
Feb 10, 2005

Wiggy Marie posted:

kuuz, you are correct. As long as you are at least half-time or more and at a school that is eligible to take federal loans (it doesn't have to actually participate in the program), your student loans are deferred. Your subsidized loans remain subsidized loans at all times; what changes is whether they are accruing interest or not. Simple rule of thumb: during ANY type of deferment or your grace, subsidized loans have no interest. Otherwise, interest ahoy!

Thanks a bunch for answering all these questions, I really appreciate it. It's amazing that the government could potentially be paying the interest on 10k+ in loans for the next five or six years. If my math is correct that could work out to about $3,600 in interest (6% of 10,000=$600 per year X 6 years). I'm gonna hold onto these loans for as long as possible.