Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ginger Ninja
Apr 29, 2005

Better red than dead.
My situation: I'm 18, and currently a junior at Hunter College in New York City. I got an AA from a community college in Florida which was free after financial aid, but I had to go and choose to study out of state since I was extremely dissatisfied with Florida's educational system. Two words: Jeb Bush.

Tuition has been covered by the Pell and Stafford loans, but I still need extra money just to get by in this expensive city. My rent is $800/mo (including all utilities), but I only make $7.50/hr part-time and can't seem to find anything better right now. And here's the topper: both of my parents are deceased. I may have perfect shiny credit myself thusfar, but I have no one who will cosign. I have a 3.0 GPA because yes, while I may have been smart enough to excel ahead, I did face my share of circumstances regarding my family that brought my grades down. Woo, no scholarships coming to me.

I need $10,000 to get me through the rest of the year, but at this point, I'll take any amount. Sallie Mae, MyRichUncle, Goal Financial, and others have turned me down. I really have no idea what to do, but I've gotta get some money within the next month or I'm screwed.

Help me, goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ginger Ninja
Apr 29, 2005

Better red than dead.
I might have posted in this thread before, but search is down. I'm a 20 year old undergrad, starting my senior year in the fall. My school is cheap and awesome, but unfortunately, a lovely retail job barely covers my gently caress-you-New-York rent so I've been taking out Sallie Mae Tuition Answer loans to assist with living expenses. I just applied for another one, and was credit denied. They didn't mention anything about a co-signer, so I guess that's out of the question, but regardless, it'd have to be a very reluctant family member since my parents are dead. My aunts and uncles have been hosed over by rear end in a top hat family members borrowing money from them, so I can see why they don't want to sign with me. Sigh.

I really need money. I think I might have exhausted my federal resources for this term. Any suggestions for alternative loans that'd be kinder to my situation? Yeah, scholarships, I know, and I'm trying, but you'd think with all of the minority scholarships out there, that there'd be an orphan scholarship. Nope.

The Ginger Ninja
Apr 29, 2005

Better red than dead.
I had two Tuition Answer loans out with Sallie Mae prior to leaving the country for a semester, and apparently used up their grace period during that time. I won't be graduating until spring '09, but the spring '08 term just ended yesterday and already they're on my rear end about paying up. Starting on June 4th, I'll be taking 6 credits throughout the summer and I'll be enrolled full-time in the fall, but my school can't give me any official proof of registration documents until after the first day of classes. I called Sallie Mae to ask them why I can't defer it, and they said that if they detect that I'm not in classes full-time on May 28th (a day during my mere week of a break!) then I'll have to pay up, no matter what.

Argh! How can I make them leave me alone? I'm stuck in limbo until June 4th. Maybe I'll just let the loan payment be late until then, and then fax the enrollment docs? I really can't afford to pay it right now since I'll be out of the country during that break, making my dollar stretch abroad.

The Ginger Ninja
Apr 29, 2005

Better red than dead.
If my boyfriend called Sallie Mae for me, even if his intentions were very good, I'd still get pissed off at him for getting into my financial business. Just my two cents.

The Ginger Ninja
Apr 29, 2005

Better red than dead.
Dear Wiggy, here are my facts:

-I need a private loan of $7500.
-My parents passed away so I don't have a co-signer. I don't have brothers or sisters either, and I could never ask my grandparents for various reasons. This also makes me "independent."
-My credit score is a lovely 620. The last two digits are my age.
-My tuition has already been covered through Pell and New York TAP, but I need the money to help pay for the cost of rent, etc. New York is so pricey. :( I also want to use it to pay off credit cards I used during a financial emergency so I can try to boost my credit score and sort of consolidate things. Is this a good idea? I want to pay off three cards, chop them up, and then pay down the last one but keep it open. Then, when I graduate school, I want to consolidate my Federal and private loans so all of my debt can be in one place.

What should I do?

Man, it sucks to be an orphan.

The Ginger Ninja
Apr 29, 2005

Better red than dead.

Carlton Banks posted:

Neither. Think of EFC as a tool to figure out who is in the greatest need of grants or other need-based awards. Someone with an EFC closer to 0 will get more in grants/subsidized loans than someone with a high EFC. A 2500 EFC is on the low end, so you might get lucky and get some need-based awards. Don't sweat it.

My EFC is 0 (because both of my parents died before I turned 18), and they STILL don't give me enough money to be able to make ends meet. If they don't approve me for more Federal loan money this month, I might have to learn how to dance on a pole. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ginger Ninja
Apr 29, 2005

Better red than dead.
Wiggy -- remember my situation from before? I got a friend who'd sign up as a co-borrower, and Sallie Mae and My Rich Uncle both outright denied me. The latter gave me this message: "Unfortunately at this time we are unable to arrange credit for you, regardless of your Co-borrower. For more detailed information about this decision please refer to the status email that was sent to you."

My credit score is currently 620. I think I've exhausted my Federal options. I really, really need a private loan right now. What do I do?!