Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyvinyd
Jun 2, 2005

"School! Ah, yes. Then you haven't heard of the easy road to success."
I am currently a 3rd year undergrad student, and I plan to go to law school after next summer. I expect to have about 50-60k in student loans at that time, spread out over some subsidized, some unsubsidized, and mostly private loans through Sallie Mae. I am worried about being out of school past my grace period by having to leave school for a semester or even a year after I graduate before I get into a school that I like. It's going to be a real problem for me if I have to be making payments to my loans while I'm in law school.

I see two possible options-

1- I have heard that you can consolidate loans and have them re-deferred if you get back into school. This sounds very fishy to me, so I want to ask about that here.

2- Take some bullshit post-grad courses just to keep me at 6 hours per semester.

Those are the only options for solving this problem that *I* can think of, so what do you think? I want to have a solution to this problem before I have to face it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyvinyd
Jun 2, 2005

I am going to have roughly 60k in student loans to start paying off after next spring. About half of this is through the government, and the other half is from Sallie Mae. I know I am going to want to go the consolidation route, but I'm told to check rate changes so I can know whether to start the paperwork this year or next year. Is this really an option? I thought I was supposed to consolidate after I was finished with school. Also, I can't even find any information on rate changes, so I have no loving idea what these people are talking about.

Nyvinyd
Jun 2, 2005

So is there anything I can do to consolidate my federal loans and private loans into a single smaller payment over a longer period of time? I'm not sure I'll be able to handle two (though I suppose I would be forced to find a way). Or for that would I be forced to consolidate both into a much higher % private loan? I really just want to get out from under the thumb of Sallie Mae, as I intentionally picked a different lender but foolishly didn't research what company that lender was using.