Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MentosMan
Dec 4, 2005
Is it possible for me to take out perkins/stafford loans without a co-signer if I am under 18? I am starting school this fall and have to pay my entire way and neither of my parents can be co-signers, a problem that has already stopped me from being approved for PLUS loans or any private student loan. I'm worried that I will be denied for my perkins/stafford loans as well since I am applying on my own for them and will not be 18 until this coming november. Should I be worried about this?

I've also been told that if you are denied for the undergrad PLUS loan, the federal goverment will allow me to have an extra $4000 dollars on my stafford loan (already at $3500). This is true, right? How do i go about doing this? Will i like receive notification in the mail or would I have to talk to the bank i applied for the stafford loan at (citibank) and tell them to add $4000?

Thanks for the incredibly useful thread, I had no idea about anything to do with loans before reading the OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MentosMan
Dec 4, 2005
Is there a way of finding out if your federal loans are FFEL or Direct? I have them through Great Lakes and Sallie Mae, and it doesn't say anywhere on my statements. Give them a call I guess?

Alternatively, I'm looking at consolidating these federal loans, and was curious if I can consolidate these loans (Stafford loans) and consolidate a Perkins loan in down the line? My Stafford loans payment start this January, whereas the Perkins loan starts in May, and has the grace period associated with it. Would it make sense to consolidate my Stafford Loans now, and re-consolidate the Perkins loan in down the line if needed?

My future financial situation is up in the air for the time being, since I just got hired but don't start until Mid-January, and currently cannot afford my loan payments that start in January (2 lenders are Federal, then private CitiAssist loans)