Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Wiggy Marie posted:

The interest rate is federally regulated, so what you can do is consolidate with someone who offers incentives on top of the rate. You know who I’m gonna recommend, so don’t make me repeat myself :).

It’s better to wait for closer to July 1st and see how the rates will change; if they’re rising, you can consolidate to keep the lower rate you have, or wait and see if the rates go down in the future. If they’re falling, wait until after the 1st.

I have a lot of questions about loan consolidation. As I understand it, you can only consolidate once with a bank, but you can later re-consolidate with a different bank, correct? Are you allowed to do that as many times as you want, and if so, does that mean that every July 1 that the interest rate goes down, it benefits you to change banks?

If you're consolidating with a new bank, do they honor incentives and perks you've earned from your first bank for on-time payments and such, or is only the federal interest rate considered? As a corollary, does it make sense to change banks at different periods over the life of your loan if different banks have better incentives during those periods - for example, changing to Citibank for their 'graduation present' interest reduction, then switching to NTHEA for their principle reduction?

Finally, do you have any information on banks that do consolidations of private loans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU