Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carbon sixty
Jan 23, 2006

This isn't rocks for jocks.
This is fantastic. I am in the process of applying to graduate school and am considering all my financial options. I'm 25, currently a full-time professional, but once I'm in school, I will be going full-time, so working is not possible. I'm applying to a state school, so I'll be tuition-free, but will need money to cover my full rent, all living expenses (including car maint. and insurance) and school fees (apx $1,800 per semester). I may have partial assistance from my parents, but their sitution is uncertain. I guess it's kind of similar to EpicProportion's situation.

I know you mentioned you might be able to research alternative loans through a school, I was wondering if at all possible, if you could see what turns up for San Francisco State University (SFSU)? I'm applying to the Applied Geosciences program, if that makes any difference.

I'm gonna get myself over to the internet sites you mentioned, and see what I can do from there. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carbon sixty
Jan 23, 2006

CropGuru posted:

Is it illegal to take out loans, toss them in a CD or MM account, pocket the interest, and pay back the principal on finishing a Ph.D.?

I was glad to see this answered, I'd been wondering the same thing.

I was actually accepted to grad school yesterday (hurrah!!!!) so I'm going to go back and reread the whole thread now.

carbon sixty
Jan 23, 2006

Well, just got my aid package today, I received the full amount of money from the government, $20,500 total in Staffords for this year, $7,800 or so subsidized, and the rest unsubsidized. It's good news, since it covers tuition, books, rent, and car insurance, but not much else like food, health insurance, field trips with the department, etc.

So I'm really, really happy about getting the money, but I'll probably have to take a small-ish private loan and/or apply for every grant and scholarship I can get my hands on.

I'm meeting with a financial aid counselor on Monday, so we'll see what happens after that!

Needless to say, I'm feeling a little less stressed.

carbon sixty
Jan 23, 2006

Wiggy Marie posted:

carbon sixty, that is wonderful news!!! Congratulations!!! I imagine that's a HUGE stress off your back! :)

Remember, private/alt loans as a last resort! They're not all bad, but if you must take one out slam it with payments as soon as you can to pay it off as early as possible.

Do you think my situation would be a good one for the gradPLUS loan? I have excellent credit. It looks like I will need to come up with about another $10,000 to $15,000 a year above what I got in Staffords, and gradplus seems like it would be a good choice. Does that count as an alternative loan? I will probably be working directly out of school, or else going right into a PhD program (thus defering my Staffords, yes?).