Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

So I'm a bit confused on the IDR payment adjustment requirements, I keep seeing news stories saying you must consolidate before the end of 2023, however on the studentaid.gov sites it states:

"Please note that submitting a consolidation application alone does not guarantee any benefits under the payment count adjustment. In general, it takes at least 60 days to process a Direct Consolidation Loan application and to disburse the new loan. This means that if you want to consolidate your loan(s) in order to get the benefit of the adjustment, you should submit a loan consolidation application by April 30, 2024."

We currently have approx 50K left from on my wife's loans. If possible I'd like to wait to consolidate because we filed taxes jointly this year which makes all the IDR plans higher than our current payment. But, If I can wait until we file this coming years taxes and file them separately, my wife's smaller income makes this a very attractive proposition, especially if we get credit for former payments.

I could swallow a couple months of higher payments if necessary before recertifying, but being able to wait until I get my W2s done in February would be far easier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU