Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.
If you are used to using a central repo like SVN the Atlassian git tutorial is really helpful as they explain how each part differs from SVN.

https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorial/git-basics

I had read a few tutorials about git without really getting the difference between it and SVN (besides being non-centralised), but that atlassian tutorial gave me the real "ah-ha" moments in seeing the differences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.
I wonder if one of your Visual Studio gurus can help me:

I have a medium sized web app that I run in VS2013. It is a solution with several web projects in it. Lately debugging my app in IE11 has become painfully slow.

If I run it without debugging in any browser (including IE) it runs flawlessly, and debugging in a non-IE browser also runs without any problems. I can't figure out what is causing the slowdown.

Lately I have:
  • Updated VS to the recent release
  • Run profiler
Now I can't remember if I ran the profiler because of the slowdown or if the slowdown happened after I ran the profiler (I have the memory of a goldfish) but I have tried to remove any trace of the profiler from the solution.

Some other info:
  • Debugging other projects/solutions runs fine
  • My co-worker who works on the same project (using TFS) has no issues
  • When debugging in IE if I right-click inspect element it now just focuses the VS2013 window rather than opening IE dev tools.

Any ideas?

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.

Ithaqua posted:

Are you running any plugins?
Good thinking - I disabled all my extensions but no luck. :(

I tried running the IE11 profiler and it is a bit interesting.

This is without debugging (this happens over about 3 seconds)

This is with debugging (this takes about 22 seconds)

All that "other" is what is taking so much time, no idea what it is.

I wonder if there is still some VS profiling code being executed somewhere.

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.

riichiee posted:

What's the best way to interact with Excel using Visual Basic Studio 2010?

I've got a bunch of tables that I need to process, each with around 5000 rows and they've all got roughly the same column layout. I want to grab a couple of values from one row, check it against some other external text files, then put a value into a column at the end of that row. Then move onto the next row and do the same.

I've looked at LINQ to XML, LINQ to SQL, ADO.net, and the Excel-interop. LINQ seems only good for reading (not writing) and ADO.net seems slow when opening the table.I've only really taken a quick look at this so far, so these first thoughts might be wrong.

Any input would be appreciated.
I have used the EPPlus library to create Excel files from my data:
http://epplus.codeplex.com/

The Excel files I have been creating are pretty simple but EPPlus has worked brilliantly. I haven't had a chance to use it for reading Excel files yet.

I haven't tried the Office libraries that crashdome suggested so can't compare them.

Calidus posted:

So I stumbled across http://channel9.msdn.com/ and watched a really good video about using AJAX and Javascript with MVC 4.
Which video did you watch? I wouldn't mind having a look.

Xarb fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 19, 2014

• Locked thread