Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zerofunk
Apr 24, 2004

gariig posted:

I liked Pragmatic Programmer over Code Complete (but you should read both). However, they are definitely books you should revisit over the course of your career as you gain more expertise.

I just finished Pragmatic Programmer and would agree with this. Both books are great and I would recommend them. I do think Pragmatic Programmer is an easier read. Code Complete is a little more dry from what I remember, but I read it years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zerofunk
Apr 24, 2004

Ithaqua posted:

Anything I'm not covering that I should be?

I just started reading about this stuff and I don't do a lot of .NET development to begin with, but is there any time you would not want to use async/await versus the traditional options? Just yesterday I was reading that MSDN link you provided. In the Threads section, it seems to suggest that async/await is the way to go for IO bound operations, while combining async with Task.Run for CPU bound stuff. So that almost makes it sound like you'd always want to use it, although I'm not entirely sure what combining async with Task.Run means. As I said earlier, I'm not very educated on the topic.

And maybe the answer is in your second bullet point. If async isn't necessarily parallel and you have CPU bound work that can easily be divided up, then maybe that's when you should be using threads or some other traditional option?

zerofunk
Apr 24, 2004

Milotic posted:

Anyone know of a good tool for querying/posting to REST services? Yeah, there's fiddler, but it could probably be better when it comes to posting stuff/auto-suggesting headers as you type.

I've been using Dev HTTP Client and I've found it pretty useful. I didn't do a lot of research though, so there may be better things out there. It's also only a Chrome app (afaik), so that could be another negative for others.

zerofunk
Apr 24, 2004
Can you not just add a PK to the table? You should probably have one anyway.

zerofunk
Apr 24, 2004
Depending on what you're doing, you may find that support for certain project types is discontinued between versions. I think this has been a bit more common with web related projects in the past. I don't primarily work in Visual Studio, so I don't have a lot of experience with it. I do know that we currently have setup projects in a 2010 solution and I believe they dropped support for those in 2012.

It probably goes without saying, but you definitely want things in source control before you migrate. I think Visual Studio does produce a report of what was changed. However, I'd still want to look at diffs for things like the project files.

zerofunk
Apr 24, 2004
I have an assembly that contains business logic code that I would like to make available to another application through COM. I know how to deal with all the COM visible stuff as I've done that before albeit with a much simpler case. What I'm not sure about is configuration details that the assembly relies on. It gets access to a database through a repository layer that then hits an ORM.

We have a simple console test app that has connection strings and such in app.config. We also have some WebAPI services with a similar setup in web.config. I just have no clue what needs to happen to get it working for a situation like this where I want a standalone assembly that will be used by a non-.NET application. Has anyone dealt with something like this before or have some ideas on where I might start?

zerofunk
Apr 24, 2004
Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Now I'm running into problems getting the client to recognize the COM object, so I need to figure that out first.

Using web services is another possibility. I had done a quick proof of concept for that awhile back which seems to have somehow stopped working. My biggest issue is that as much as PowerBuilder sucks, trying to get PowerBuilder to interface with anything else is even worse.

zerofunk
Apr 24, 2004

wwb posted:

I've heard good things about recent versions of Jenkins if you are not looking to spend money. Even that will be vastly more user friendly than CC.NET. Unless they completely redid CC.NET in the last 5 years.

I just setup Jenkins for a new project and I'm reasonably happy with it. I've used CC.NET a lot in the past and Jenkins is more user friendly in general, since you don't have to deal with config files. Although a few things weren't intuitive when first setting it up. I don't remember specifics now, but I think it mostly centered around users and the security functionality. That also could have been my fault.

I will mention that if you are using TFS for source control and you have an older version of TFS server, the latest TFS plugin for Jenkins is incompatible. Sorry I don't remember the exact version numbers for everything. We use a pretty old version of TFS Server (2005 I think) and it didn't have some feature (introduced in 2008?) that the latest version of the TFS plugin relied on. I had to compile an older version from source to get that working.

As for CC.NET, it doesn't look like there is a whole lot of activity. As someone who does still use it, I wouldn't use it for anything new.

zerofunk
Apr 24, 2004

Ithaqua posted:

You'd be well served by upgrading to a modern version of TFS, even if just for source control. 2005 was barely better than VSS.

I know and I've complained about it a few times. I was pretty upset when I found out that you couldn't easily rollback an entire changeset. You can do it with the TFS Powertools, but the way it works wasn't exactly ideal.

Thankfully we're supposed to be upgrading soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zerofunk
Apr 24, 2004
Has anyone ever had issues with different results from using the VS 2012 Test Runner and running mstest.exe from the command line? We have some Automapper Exceptions thrown due to some type mismatches (silly things like float -> double, and int? -> int). These are causing test failures if I run our tests from mstest.exe. When I run directly from VS2012, everything passes. I'm not even sure where to start in figuring out why that is happening.

• Locked thread