Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
I want to make a web-app that will for the most part present itself as a single page to users (push butrons, new content will be generated, push more buttons, repeat), but the heavy lifting for generating new content will be server side.

Should I get started with the MVC or the SPA template in VS 2013?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
Can anyone recommend a prescribed order for reading C# In Depth (Skeet), Dependency Injection in .NET (Seeman), and Art of Unit Testing (Osherove)?

I'm working on a project whose components I understand, but I feel unqualified to make the high level design decisions that underlie much of the work. I'm not in a huge rush - I hope to cobble a small working prototype by September - but I want to do things as correctly as I can in the meantime. Hence, the books.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
That has more or less been my plan. I really don't have any experience with unit testing, but given everyone's opinion on it I'm terrified to write code for my own applications before I understand some of it. The big problem is that lots and lots of this system will be non-deteministic in nature, so I'm still not sure exactly where and how to appropriately unit test.

I'm taking reading suggestions, too, by the way :)

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
This isn't advice, but commiseration. I've never had success with a VS integrated version control system except in the cases where I use the system to create a new local project from an existing repo.

• Locked thread