Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
LOGH also has a proven track record with regards to being newbie-friendly based on how the TVIV simulwatch went, which featured a huge number of people getting into the show who normally would never have bothered. Yes it is no longer necessary to have it in the title of the Recommendation thread but if we're talking Sci-Fi in general I really think it has to be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

eva and haruhi are my favorite series of all time so i would have no problem with them being included. but i don't know that they are necessarily good "starter" anime. to me part of what makes them so special is the extent to which they play with expectations about how anime is supposed to function. i know some would disagree and i do think they can be appreciated in a vacuum but they both definitely gain something if you're already bringing some knowledge of the medium to the table

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

is there a way to trick tviv posters into watching the tape from ring that kills you in 7 days. i think that'd be a good use of the adtrw wiki.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
2006 ADTRW tried to make the case that Haruhi Suzumiya was a good "anime if you don't like anime!" to incredibly mixed/mocked results, as you'd expect. Great show but yeah.

Evangelion isn't that bad, I don't think. It was a first/early show for a lot of people.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I still don't think Fruits Basket should be bumped, it's a classic romance manga for a reason and a pretty good starting series, even if I feel it runs a bit too long. As much as I like yuri I don't think both Girl Friends and Sasamekikoto need to be on there, if people like yuri from one recommendation they can seek more or ask about it. It's not like there's that much yuri out there to begin with.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Let Furuba live!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Girl Friends is cuter, but Sasameki Koto is better. SK has a little weirdness with tone shifts and the cross dressing guy though.

In conclusion: i don't know which should be there.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

wandering son

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It's there, under drama.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Any objection with, bare minimum, Bonnouji and House of the Sun replacing Skip Beat and KnT?

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Definitely support that change

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

arisu posted:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

arisu posted:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Can we at least get rid of Death Note, that poo poo is unsafe for human consumption

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Smoking Crow posted:

Can we at least get rid of Death Note, that poo poo is unsafe for human consumption

It's far from terrible, and it really is a great entry-level show/manga.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
OK, I pushed through the seemingly uncontested changes. I left Psychological alone but really have no horse in the race for Death Note other than a general feeling that it was popular and therefore is fine there. I couldn't really figure out how to add just one for the Romance section so for now KnT anime is temporarily not in there, I guess. Someone please make pages for:

My Love Story!!
House of the Sun
Yona of the Dawn

Mamoru Hosoda
Satoshi Kon
Masaaki Yuasa
Mamoru Oshii

A random thought while I was putting that up, would Knights of Sidonia be a better entry for Sci-Fi manga over 2001 Nights? I've never read the latter myself, though.

E: Completely forgot about the Slice of Life stuff. Uh, no real objections I guess on my part? Would probably result in a bunch of stuff getting shuffled around though.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 16, 2015

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

I guess I really should get off my rear end and put some work into this. Time to make an account.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

I've never seen death note but it seems badass, so I reject this suggestion

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Death Note is okay.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Death Note is the most anime.

And also okay.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Death Note was one of my starter anime so I support it being on there.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's kinda embarrassing how much I like the anime, but I think it's also pretty well known, even if it's not on the level of say Attack on Titan.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
You should swap out Prince of Tennis in sports manga for something like Haikyuu!! though.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

There needs to be another section

Big Baps
- Senran Kagura
- Sekirei
- SoniAni: Super Sonico The Animation

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

There needs to be another section

Big Baps
- Senran Kagura
- Sekirei
- SoniAni: Super Sonico The Animation

-ikkitousen
-tenjo tenge
-queens blade(lol)

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Also do we want to take the step of changing the name of the wiki now that the forum has shrugged off the foul acronym of the past?

Taking suggestions for what V.E.G.E.T.A. could stand for.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Pierson posted:

Also do we want to take the step of changing the name of the wiki now that the forum has shrugged off the foul acronym of the past?

Taking suggestions for what V.E.G.E.T.A. could stand for.

The GETA is Goons Enjoying Terrible Anime, I suppose. Not sure about the VE part.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Very Excitable

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Very Excitable

Makes sense.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's still ADTRW. Same way PHIZ is still PHIZ even though the name changed 3 years ago

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think it's a reasonable expectation that VEGETA will not remain VEGETA forever.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
My only suggestion is that Mamorou Oshii might need something of a warning that his works are more often than not cryptic and slow, and this would probably turn a lot of people off of his ouvre, especially if they start with something like "Angel's Egg". Kon, Hosoda, and especially Miyazaki are a little more palpable.

EDIT: Also I think "Baccano!" would make a good intro show, though I have absolutely no idea what genre you'd put that in. On that note, we also might want to point to where things are streaming legally because IIRC some anime companies have YouTube channels where you can watch their catalog series free either subbed or dubbed.

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 17, 2015

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Baccano is in there under Horror/Mystery, though yeah it could also fit in other categories fairly well.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Registered as Yes_Cantaloupe.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I have a suggestion for the New to Anime chart. I think there should be a Mecha column. It's a big genre, and "giant robots" are one of the firs things people who aren't into anime think of when they think of anime. Gundam 0080, Giant Robo, and Macross Plus would be pretty uncontroversial entries

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm registered as boomboomboom

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nate RFB posted:

I think it's a reasonable expectation that VEGETA will not remain VEGETA forever.

No...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In as "In Training".

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I will make the Satoshi Kon page, and update the Haruhi page because it needs to be 1000x more awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

In Training posted:

I will make the Satoshi Kon page, and update the Haruhi page because it needs to be 1000x more awesome.

I'm glad.

• Locked thread