Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I thought that adding a link to the threads about each show might be a good idea, so I took the liberty of doing that to a couple of articles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!

Nate RFB posted:

EDIT: Ahh, there's the Haruhi page.

Yeah I was surprised no one had done it yet too. So I decided what the hell and did it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Xboxpants, I liked your infobox class so much from Cromartie that I stole it and used it in my YKK Page.

I've been making various changes to the category pages, making it so that they could all link to each other a lot easier. This was done for navigational purposes to make things easier, but does it make sense to you guys? I feel like I'm kind of making changes on the fly. I was just considering maybe adding a "Go Back to Index" internal link on the top of the entries, just to make navigation easier.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Made a Gunbuster page. I'll look over it again when I'm not really tired and correct any mistakes and hopefully expand on it. I guess I'll need to make a Aim for the Top 2 one as well.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Nate RFB posted:

Xboxpants, I liked your infobox class so much from Cromartie that I stole it and used it in my YKK Page.

Thanks, although I honestly just copy+paste'd from the template on the site and edited it a bit!(although it did take a while to figure out exactly how to do that) The "Go Back to Index" internal link does wonders; it was really annoying that I couldn't go back up the category hierarchy, but for some reason it didn't occur to me that this problem could be fixed. Good on you. Also, what's the opinion on redirects? I think they're pretty helpful, and, although they do clutter the "all pages" list, so long as the category index is well made, that page isn't even really needed.

doomisland posted:

Made a Gunbuster page. I'll look over it again when I'm not really tired and correct any mistakes and hopefully expand on it. I guess I'll need to make a Aim for the Top 2 one as well.

Great to hear, and it brings me to another point. I think I'm going to focus on making pages for anime that are linked to as viewing recommendations but don't currently have a page. It would be really fun to get some chains of related shows going.

clocksucker
Sep 11, 2005

Skullet Action
Signed up as Freon

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I was thinking a bit further on making navigation easier, so I added links back to the Index and All Pages, as well as to the format in the infobox, for the Haibane Renmei page. Does that look good? I think it makes everything much more connected.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

I was thinking a bit further on making navigation easier, so I added links back to the Index and All Pages, as well as to the format in the infobox, for the Haibane Renmei page. Does that look good? I think it makes everything much more connected.
I have no idea what it's like to customize mediawiki, but wouldn't it make more sense to add those links over in the navigation sidebar? It would be easier then adding them to every page.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

raezr posted:

I have no idea what it's like to customize mediawiki, but wouldn't it make more sense to add those links over in the navigation sidebar? It would be easier then adding them to every page.
I know about as much as you do for customizing mediawiki, but that certainly sounds good. The Format link should probably stay in the infobox (since that's entry-specific), and Index and All Pages could fit somewhere in the sidebar.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Nate RFB posted:

I know about as much as you do for customizing mediawiki, but that certainly sounds good. The Format link should probably stay in the infobox (since that's entry-specific), and Index and All Pages could fit somewhere in the sidebar.
Pretty easy actually. If you go to the page MediaWiki:Sidebar you can edit it there. I mixed it around a little and got rid of a few of the ones we find redundant (donations for one) but stuff can be added there any time.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Pierson posted:

Pretty easy actually. If you go to the page MediaWiki:Sidebar you can edit it there. I mixed it around a little and got rid of a few of the ones we find redundant (donations for one) but stuff can be added there any time.
:objection: Why is it that some categories (Anime (TV), Manga, etc.) have the updated sidebar, but the others (including actual pages) don't? Or is my browser just going crazy?

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 20, 2007

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

:objection: Why is it that some categories (Anime (TV), Manga, etc.) have the updated sidebar, but the others (including actual pages) don't? Or is my browser just going crazy?
I think mediawiki caches stuff like the sidebar, so some pages will take a little bit of time to update.

Edit: you got rid of the "recent changes" link from the sidebar, I liked that. :(

tankadillo fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 20, 2007

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Nate RFB posted:

Force-refresh and it will appear as-new. Objection denied. :colbert:

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
We need "recent changes" back. Well actually i need it back, but imo its very useful especially since the wiki isnt moving very fast yet.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!

Totalizator posted:

We need "recent changes" back. Well actually i need it back, but imo its very useful especially since the wiki isnt moving very fast yet.

I'll agree with this. It's handy to keep track of whats new and what's currently being done so I, or others, know what to work on next.

*edit*Plus it actually stopping from stating a bajillion pages and never finishing them. ADD, ho!

Lunch! Finally! fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 21, 2007

Zarblebug
Jan 28, 2005

Be happy !!
Signed on as Zarblebug! Looks like things are shaping up nicely.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Golden315 posted:

I'll agree with this. It's handy to keep track of whats new and what's currently being done so I, or others, know what to work on next.

*edit*Plus it actually stopping from stating a bajillion pages and never finishing them. ADD, ho!

I used the hell out of that page. You can just go to special pages-->recent changes (on the sidebar) and still get there, although I really wish it was back, too.

Maybe there should just be an "Original Work" field for the infobox template? That way it would even work for something like fate stay night or Haruhi. I think there was something mentioned about making the infobox more editable; this would be the best option. Right now it's really hard to make up new fields as we need them. It's kind of a struggle between consistancy and accuracy, I suppose.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 21, 2007

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
In as me. :shobon:

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug
In as Myok. I plan to update or create pages for my pet anime Brigadoon and Moldiver and then drop off the face of the Earth as usual.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I still see "Recent Changes" in my sidebar, but that's because the sidebar hasn't updated for me on most pages :nyoron:

XboxPants posted:

Maybe there should just be an "Original Work" field for the infobox template? That way it would even work for something like fate stay night or Haruhi. I think there was something mentioned about making the infobox more editable; this would be the best option. Right now it's really hard to make up new fields as we need them. It's kind of a struggle between consistancy and accuracy, I suppose.
That's why I think for the rest of my entries I'll be using the class template used in the YKK and Cromartie pages, since those add a degree of customization. I hesitate to put it in the template page because I don't know how comfortable people would be with having to do all that work on their own.

Not_Log
Mar 24, 2004

Dear Aunt, lets set so double the killer delete select all.

Nate RFB posted:

I hesitate to put it in the template page because I don't know how comfortable people would be with having to do all that work on their own.

No one person needs to do all the work, if it's a good item to have for all the series, there's really no point in not putting in the template.

Samuel Q. Boxman
Oct 31, 2005

HUH
Signed up as SQB.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.
In as Zackarotto.

Samuel Q. Boxman
Oct 31, 2005

HUH
For shows that have a manga and an anime, are they meant to have different pages for each, or cover both on the same one? Personally I think it would be better to have a different page for each, since there can be pretty big changes between the manga and animes of certain shows. And what about movies based on shows? Same question again, different pages, or all on the same one?

EDIT: added an unfinished One Piece page.

Samuel Q. Boxman fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 22, 2007

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Samuel Q. Boxman posted:

For shows that have a manga and an anime, are they meant to have different pages for each, or cover both on the same one? Personally I think it would be better to have a different page for each, since there can be pretty big changes between the manga and animes of certain shows. And what about movies based on shows? Same question again, different pages, or all on the same one?
I think it's a case by case basis. For instance, there has to be two different entries for Fullmetal Alchemist, but not necessarily for Death Note for example. I'd personally prefer to keep the two separate for most entries.

EDIT: I'm definitely a little bit conflicted on OP. I think there's enough difference between the two versions to warrant an anime page and a manga page.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jan 22, 2007

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.
The Cromartie page doesn't seem to show up in the "All Pages" category, so I missed it the first time around. Is it coded differently, or something?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
How did my YKK page get changed :( The infobox now looks ugly!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Nate RFB posted:

How did my YKK page get changed :( The infobox now looks ugly!
This is what I see when I load the page:

Is that what it's supposed to look like?

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

A bunch of articles were using custom infoboxes, and I decided to change them to using the standard one. But there seems to be a concern that the standard one doesn't look good in things like the Cromartie High School and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou article, mainly because it doesn't seem to work well for both anime and manga. Would it be a good idea to make a seperate infobox template for each for anime and for manga?

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
in as, well, hannibal.

Not_Log
Mar 24, 2004

Dear Aunt, lets set so double the killer delete select all.

raezr posted:

A bunch of articles were using custom infoboxes, and I decided to change them to using the standard one. But there seems to be a concern that the standard one doesn't look good in things like the Cromartie High School and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou article, mainly because it doesn't seem to work well for both anime and manga. Would it be a good idea to make a seperate infobox template for each for anime and for manga?

yes, we should be using one for manga and one for anime as manga won't have a "# of episodes"

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Pierson posted:

This is what I see when I load the page:

Is that what it's supposed to look like?
No, that's how it should look after I fixed it up. But somehow it reverted back from that (using a custom class template) back to the infobox. Honestly I think the infobox isn't very well suited for manga series, but I don't think it's that big of a deal. Some people (like me) just go crazy seeing fields that don't really apply to a manga series such as "Episode Length."

Also seconding a "mangainfobox" of some kind. That's why I was toying with the idea of putting the class template in the template page; maybe we're better off just letting everyone do a custom job for each info box. It's only a little more amount of code, and you can have as much or as little information as you want.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Signed up as Infinitum

Time for some old school series!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Resetting my computer finally made the sidebar update on all pages. I guess the cache just wasn't updating :confused:

Infinitum posted:

Signed up as Infinitum

Time for some old school series!
Get crackin!

EDIT: OK there is something weird with my computer and caching the wiki. Someone added the Template to the "All Pages" category, but hitting edit reveals nothing :nyoron:

Anyway does anyone have any thoughts on this infobox issue? Should we just make a mangainfobox? My support is with the custom class (like in the YKK and Cromartie pages), but I really don't know how comfortable people would be with it.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jan 24, 2007

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
Why isn't there a page for School Rumble yet :( (I'm just watching that for the first time right now and holy poo poo awesome why hadn't I watched this before) but anyway I just signed up as DrBakterius, if I get approved I might add a page for it later if I can figure out how, no promises though :o:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
There's nothing stopping people from making their own infoboxes so long as they get used. They're mostly there because a lot of people (including me up until a few months ago) have no idea how wikicode works.

Also Pr there's not really an 'if' about it, all posters get approved. :)

Unless you are a total jerk I guess. :colbert:

Pierson fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 24, 2007

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm still thoroughly confused as to why the "Template" page is a member of "All Pages" :psyduck:

PrBacterio posted:

Why isn't there a page for School Rumble yet :( (I'm just watching that for the first time right now and holy poo poo awesome why hadn't I watched this before) but anyway I just signed up as DrBakterius, if I get approved I might add a page for it later if I can figure out how, no promises though :o:
I like School Rumble, but at the early stages of this wiki there are about 10000 other shows that I think need entries more than SR. But that's why we're adding new people; whatever entries you want to add, you're welcome to.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Nate RFB posted:

I like School Rumble, but at the early stages of this wiki there are about 10000 other shows that I think need entries more than SR. But that's why we're adding new people; whatever entries you want to add, you're welcome to.
Well it's just that I noticed that Pani Poni Dash! was on there which is in exactly the same genre as School Rumble as far as I can tell, but way inferior -- well at least I didn't like it at all.

But about that, I don't really know if I have the confidence to attempt such a thing as I have no idea how to go about it in the first place; I've never really done any editing on Wikipedia either, except for fixing simple spelling or grammar mistakes or reverting vandalism, so I don't have any experience with this kind of Wiki editing. And there's also the whole not being a native speaker of English thing :o:

Um so while I'm on the topic anyway, how DOES one add a new page for a show?

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

I'm still thoroughly confused as to why the "Template" page is a member of "All Pages" :psyduck:
I added [[Category:All Pages]] to the infobox so it doesn't need to be added to every page, and I guess a side effect was that "Template" got included in that category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

PrBacterio posted:

Well it's just that I noticed that Pani Poni Dash! was on there which is in exactly the same genre as School Rumble as far as I can tell, but way inferior -- well at least I didn't like it at all.

But about that, I don't really know if I have the confidence to attempt such a thing as I have no idea how to go about it in the first place; I've never really done any editing on Wikipedia either, except for fixing simple spelling or grammar mistakes or reverting vandalism, so I don't have any experience with this kind of Wiki editing. And there's also the whole not being a native speaker of English thing :o:

Um so while I'm on the topic anyway, how DOES one add a new page for a show?

Just search for School Rumble or whatever, and it will say something like "we couldn't find school rumble. you can create this page here" with that being a link. Your English looks perfect from that post, by the way, had no idea you weren't native. Anyway, the way I figure it, the worse you do on the page, the more attention it will attract from people who want to fix it and make it right, possibly even bringing in new people! So, I think making a page, even if it's bad, is a really good idea.

• Locked thread