Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Registered as raezr. This looks like a great idea :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

How do we want to categorize articles? I'm guessing the best method would be by genre since that's what most people are going to care about, but maybe also by director and stuff might be a good idea.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

It's pretty easy to edit the index, so if everyone who adds a new entry just adds it in the Index as the last step, that would work. I don't anticipate problems but I hope we won't run into situations with people messing with the Index :shobon:

I think this works.

One possible situation we could run into is with repeated entries for stuff that has both anime and manga equivalents. I had to think about where to place Death Note, since the entry itself is written to apply to both the anime and manga series. Sometimes it's fine and the entry can apply for both...but there will be plenty of situations where someone may want to write an entry for a specific version. I guess it's up to each person's discretion.
Something that would be easier is just to categorize each article ([[Category:Anime (TV)]] for example) so mediawiki will automatically sort them and we won't have to manually add them to a list.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I thought that adding a link to the threads about each show might be a good idea, so I took the liberty of doing that to a couple of articles.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

I was thinking a bit further on making navigation easier, so I added links back to the Index and All Pages, as well as to the format in the infobox, for the Haibane Renmei page. Does that look good? I think it makes everything much more connected.
I have no idea what it's like to customize mediawiki, but wouldn't it make more sense to add those links over in the navigation sidebar? It would be easier then adding them to every page.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

:objection: Why is it that some categories (Anime (TV), Manga, etc.) have the updated sidebar, but the others (including actual pages) don't? Or is my browser just going crazy?
I think mediawiki caches stuff like the sidebar, so some pages will take a little bit of time to update.

Edit: you got rid of the "recent changes" link from the sidebar, I liked that. :(

tankadillo fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 20, 2007

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

A bunch of articles were using custom infoboxes, and I decided to change them to using the standard one. But there seems to be a concern that the standard one doesn't look good in things like the Cromartie High School and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou article, mainly because it doesn't seem to work well for both anime and manga. Would it be a good idea to make a seperate infobox template for each for anime and for manga?

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

I'm still thoroughly confused as to why the "Template" page is a member of "All Pages" :psyduck:
I added [[Category:All Pages]] to the infobox so it doesn't need to be added to every page, and I guess a side effect was that "Template" got included in that category.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Dan a man posted:

That's a good idea. We should probably make a Pages needing attention or Unfinished articles category.
I went ahead and made something similar to Wikipedia's stub template.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I noticed that some articles include a link to their wikipedia counterpart at the bottom, and it occurred to me that it would be nice if every article included this. When I discover a new series I usually want as much information as possible so I end up looking it up on wikipedia anyway.

If you guys want to do this and don't want to go through the trouble of adding the link to every page, you could put something like this in the sidebar (I think this code works)
code:
[[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/[/url]{{FULLPAGENAME}} {{FULLPAGENAME}} on wikipedia]

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

If we want to go with the wikipedia thing we could also put it in something like the infobox instead, just some way of adding it to every page without actually editing all 100 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I was thinking how the default mediawiki skins look boring and it would be nice to have a custom mediawiki skin, so I decided to take some initiative and I made a stylesheet. Here's what I've got: css source, and a preview. It's not anything fancy or special, but I just thought it would be nice to have something besides the default. Any thoughts?

• Locked thread