Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Swivel Master posted:

Basically. I record bands and I am a drummer. I want it to sound natural to my ears.
Seconding this, that sums it up for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Some people pan drums audience perspective, some do it drummers perspective.

Then, you get people like me who pan it god-knows-how.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

TedStorm posted:

hello, I'm having trouble with sound quality. It's noticeable in listening that there's a real lack of presence. also, when i pull stuff up on winamp, i notice that the oscilloscope (? i guess that's what it is) is really only registering low frequencies which fall off almost completely after the first couple bars.
If you turn the volume way up does it sound normal? Is it just quiet? The analyzer in winamp almost always acts that way with mixes that aren't really compressed, and if you're expecting that in-your-face guitar sound and not getting it, it may be that you're expecting it to sound a lot more compressed than it is.

With respect to the drum discussion, even if you're not a drummer doesn't it make more sense for the fills to go left to right? It always bothers me mixing audience perspective because everyone does rack then floor on the input list no matter how they mix. If you do that with audience perspective you end up with 2 consecutive pan knobs pointing at each other and that fucks up the Feng Shui. :colbert:

I'm going to start making my input lists go floor then rack on the rider for live shows and see how many sound crews tell me to go gently caress myself because it would confuse them. It will probably confuse me too, when I reach to EQ the rack and change the floor instead.

starbucks972
Oct 18, 2004

by Debbie Metallica
I have a question about recording midi with reason and the Korg Padkontrol. I'm also using a CME-UF5 midi keyboard that runs through my firepod while the padkontrol goes usb.

Anyways, I got one bus set to firepod in and one set to padkontrol a. I can record anything using the CME-UF5, but reason isn't recording anything out of the padkontrol even though when I play the padkontrol it does recognize that its there. Any suggestions on what the problem is?

Corey
Apr 23, 2005

YUPPIE
I have a question regarding external hard drives. I was recommended in the old thread that I should buy an external hard drive because my internal drive is only 5400 rpm and it's harder to record multiple tracks that way.

I have a USB preamp (Line6 Toneport KB37) connected to my computer, and would it be okay to use a USB external hard drive? I have a firewire port, so should I use that? Because data is being transmitted in the first place to my Mac through a USB cable, would it not matter that a firewire cord was used? Can I record directly to the external drive when recording tracks?

Whew, a lot of questions!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Corey posted:

I have a question regarding external hard drives. I was recommended in the old thread that I should buy an external hard drive because my internal drive is only 5400 rpm and it's harder to record multiple tracks that way.

I have a USB preamp (Line6 Toneport KB37) connected to my computer, and would it be okay to use a USB external hard drive? I have a firewire port, so should I use that? Because data is being transmitted in the first place to my Mac through a USB cable, would it not matter that a firewire cord was used? Can I record directly to the external drive when recording tracks?

Whew, a lot of questions!

You can record to a FireWire drive from a USB audio interface.

Also, 5400 RPM drives aren't that bad for recording, depending on what you're doing. The only time they have problems is if you're recording a lot of tracks at the same time, or if you're using the same drive your OS and software is on, and trying to read/write (and recording multiple tracks).

I have a 5400 RPM internal system drive and I can record just fine (44.1/24), a few tracks at a time. Of course, there's no way I'd be able to do like a 24 track tape bounce to it or anything, unless I did them in batches.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

I've always been really fascinated with the demoscene and the old ZX Spectrum kind of 8-bit sound (think Contra theme). How is this sort of music made nowadays? Is there anything special or is it just tinkering around with synth settings, as I'd really like to emulate it in my production. I using whatever is available for PC, so Reason, FLStudio, Ableton, Cakewalk, etc. but I'm mostly familiar with FL, if that helps any.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Unless posted:

I've always been really fascinated with the demoscene and the old ZX Spectrum kind of 8-bit sound (think Contra theme). How is this sort of music made nowadays? Is there anything special or is it just tinkering around with synth settings, as I'd really like to emulate it in my production. I using whatever is available for PC, so Reason, FLStudio, Ableton, Cakewalk, etc. but I'm mostly familiar with FL, if that helps any.

Try BitBoy from here. I actually used on of his glitch delays for awhile, too.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
You can do it with any analogue/subtractive synthesizer and bitreduce the output. I made a pretty good clone of a megaman V song using an Access Virus B and 2 square wave oscillators, no filtering and generous amounts of bitreduction and vibrato.

The drums are harder to get. Theres an art to making snes percussion and sadly I haven't cracked that particular nut yet. :(

GabrielSyme
Jan 10, 2007

Chaos is dull.

wixard posted:

If you turn the volume way up does it sound normal? Is it just quiet?

mmm, hard to say.
i've posted the mix as of yet on https://www.purevolume.com/thehibbertjournal/
it's specifically the one titled "Pinky's," and, yeah. i know the rhythms are a bit off in a few places and the levels are definitely off throughout, i stopped messing with getting stuff perfect when i started listening to it back because the whole thing is just really bass heavy.
i reset all the eq's i had put into it so this is how the tracks are sounding as they're recorded.

someone asked. the guitar is an ibanez pf (pf5ecent)

GabrielSyme
Jan 10, 2007

Chaos is dull.
alright, revising question...

if im getting a lot of low end through a condenser mic even with bass drop off switch, are there any suggestions for getting a more consistent frequency response?

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.

TedStorm posted:

alright, revising question...

if im getting a lot of low end through a condenser mic even with bass drop off switch, are there any suggestions for getting a more consistent frequency response?

What are you recording? The simplest solution might be to just move the mic a little further away from the source, this can help reduce the low end. I think it's called the proximity effect? Other than that, I don't know. Maybe you can stick an EQ in before whatever you're recording to.

t_rf
Nov 24, 2006

Unless posted:

There are VST plugins for this, but most "8-bit" plugins are pretty limited and/or only try to sound like one kind of chip, usually NES A203 or C64 SID. If you want a VST plugin specifically for a certain kind of hardware you can probably find it, but that still doesn't mean you'll get the effects you want or learn anything useful about how the hardware works.

The concept of chipsounds is based on subtractive synthesis, but the specific techniques used are different from general subtractive synths. For example, a lot of chips had a highly granular volume control of only perhaps three or four bits(8 or 16 levels of volume) - thus dynamics were effected by changing volume rapidly, which led to a stair-step envelope and a "popping" kind of feel. The "bubbling" arpeggiation effect, similarly, was born out of getting around limitations on polyphony with fast pitch changes. Repeat this kind of "do a lot with a little" constraint across all the typical subtractive parameters, and you can get some pretty convincing sounds. (On a side note, the opposite is true: taking extremely flat sounds and applying a smooth but erratic envelope to them will add detail and definition.)

Plugins that let you do "real" chip techniques are hard to find because most don't have the granularity of parameters that help make chips sound "chippy." They sound smooth and professional instead. A lot of producers who want to quickly fake a chip sound will run something through a bitcrush plugin, but that does only some sounds well.

I recommend trying Atlantis VST as it has a lot of power in the appropriate places, though it is pretty complex:
http://jeremyevers.com/?p=20

edit: was missing a word

Quiz Show Scandal
May 5, 2006
I would, but I need the eggs.
Here's the recording setup I'm thinking about. Any input would be really appreciated.

Apple PowerBook G4, 512MB RAM, 1.5 GHz processor, running ProTools LE. USB input via DigiDesign M-Box 2 for MIDI, 1/4" cords, and XLR.

Thoughts?

Jobless Drunk
Aug 6, 2004

One summer evening drunk to hell I sat there nearly lifeless

Quiz Show Scandal posted:

Here's the recording setup I'm thinking about. Any input would be really appreciated.

Apple PowerBook G4, 512MB RAM, 1.5 GHz processor, running ProTools LE. USB input via DigiDesign M-Box 2 for MIDI, 1/4" cords, and XLR.

Thoughts?

What do you plan on recording?

Quiz Show Scandal
May 5, 2006

Jobless Drunk posted:

What do you plan on recording?

I'd just be multitracking myself one instrument at a time - keyboards, guitar, banjo, accordion. Maybe on rare occasion doing two at once, eg. guitar and vocals.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
You're fine.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
I'm putting together a new computer in the next few weeks, and I intend to use it to record. I'm interested in recording myself playing acoustic guitar/singing, or recording a full band (2x guitar, bass, drums, vocals). I'm not too worried about furnishing microphones, those are provided by a friend of mine, but I am absolutely helpless as to what hardware I should get for the PC interface.

I really don't want to sell my soul to buy a card, and I'm not looking to record at industry level quality, I'm really just a garage band musician.

Anyone have any recommendations for what I should use?

Budget $300 (less is better)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

MrSaturn posted:

I'm putting together a new computer in the next few weeks, and I intend to use it to record. I'm interested in recording myself playing acoustic guitar/singing, or recording a full band (2x guitar, bass, drums, vocals). I'm not too worried about furnishing microphones, those are provided by a friend of mine, but I am absolutely helpless as to what hardware I should get for the PC interface.

I really don't want to sell my soul to buy a card, and I'm not looking to record at industry level quality, I'm really just a garage band musician.

Anyone have any recommendations for what I should use?

Budget $300 (less is better)

Get an interface that has enough I/Os for everything you want. If you want to record guitars, you need 1 I/O each, 2 if you're also going to DI, same with bass. If you're doing drums, you'll need anywhere from about 6-7 (minimal) to about 12-15 (lots of micing). Vox is one as well.

So, if you're recording all at once, you'll need enough I/Os to be able to plug in everything at the same time. If you're going to track separately, you'll just need enough for the drums.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Shoop da Whoop posted:

Get an interface that has enough I/Os for everything you want. If you want to record guitars, you need 1 I/O each, 2 if you're also going to DI, same with bass. If you're doing drums, you'll need anywhere from about 6-7 (minimal) to about 12-15 (lots of micing). Vox is one as well.

So, if you're recording all at once, you'll need enough I/Os to be able to plug in everything at the same time. If you're going to track separately, you'll just need enough for the drums.

any recommendation for a particular manufacturer/brand/model, or even a website to look stuff up at?

Orange Pilot
Mar 13, 2007
He romanticized it all out of proportion. To him, no matter what the season was, this was still a town that existed in black and white and pulsated to the great tunes of George Gershwin.

starbucks972 posted:

I have a question about recording midi with reason and the Korg Padkontrol. I'm also using a CME-UF5 midi keyboard that runs through my firepod while the padkontrol goes usb.

Anyways, I got one bus set to firepod in and one set to padkontrol a. I can record anything using the CME-UF5, but reason isn't recording anything out of the padkontrol even though when I play the padkontrol it does recognize that its there. Any suggestions on what the problem is?

Im not at home, so I cant check my Reason- but I'm pretty sure that under perferences theres some sort of midi set up box. If you open that it will show you all the ports you can connect midi devices through. Check to see if your Korg Padkontrol is being recognized.

Swivel Master
Oct 10, 2004

Floating in much the same way that bricks don't.

MrSaturn posted:

any recommendation for a particular manufacturer/brand/model, or even a website to look stuff up at?

My god, do we have to do this every week?

http://www.sweetwater.com
http://www.zzounds.com
http://www.musiciansfriend.com

Read the rest of the thread. Seriously. This question has been asked over and over again.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Swivel Master posted:

Read the rest of the thread. Seriously. This question has been asked over and over again.
Or he could read the FIRST loving post of the thread.

Quiz Show Scandal
May 5, 2006
Just trying to clear everything up before I commit and shell out some cash.

Previously, I was pretty sold on ProTools LE since the MBox 2 comes bundled with it. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to LE instead of M-Powered?

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Just trying to clear everything up before I commit and shell out some cash.

Previously, I was pretty sold on ProTools LE since the MBox 2 comes bundled with it. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to LE instead of M-Powered?
Not really, except that M-Powered is expensive enough that it's pretty tough to buy an M-Audio interface + M-Powered for cheaper than an MBox 2.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Swivel Master posted:

Thanks for the links. Of the above, I only knew musicians friend existed. I appreciate it.

nimper posted:

Or he could read the FIRST loving post of the thread.

If the FIRST loving post of the thread had direct links to these sites, I wouldn't be asking. The PCI models referenced in the first post were links directly to manufacturer's websites, and at least one of them isn't sold anymore. Thanks for being so understanding, though (maybe edit these links in, maybe? it'd be nice.)

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

MrSaturn posted:

Thanks for the links. Of the above, I only knew musicians friend existed. I appreciate it.

If the FIRST loving post of the thread had direct links to these sites, I wouldn't be asking. The PCI models referenced in the first post were links directly to manufacturer's websites, and at least one of them isn't sold anymore. Thanks for being so understanding, though (maybe edit these links in, maybe? it'd be nice.)
Okay! I added a section about where to buy poo poo! I like using exclamation marks!

Quiz Show Scandal
May 5, 2006

wixard posted:

Not really, except that M-Powered is expensive enough that it's pretty tough to buy an M-Audio interface + M-Powered for cheaper than an MBox 2.

Yeah, this is exactly what I was getting at. Thanks a lot! I suppose I'll be ordering my MBox 2 and LE relatively soon, then.

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
I have a presonus firepod to use over the summer to record with. Which recording software would work best with it? I have limited experience with Sonar, but I figure I'm starting from scratch with whatever I choose and wanted to keep my options open.

Quiz Show Scandal
May 5, 2006
What kind of software instruments come with ProTools LE? I guess my main concerns are that there's a decent sounding piano and perhaps some way to accurately simulate a Rhodes piano. Thoughts?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

DoctorJones posted:

I have a presonus firepod to use over the summer to record with. Which recording software would work best with it? I have limited experience with Sonar, but I figure I'm starting from scratch with whatever I choose and wanted to keep my options open.

Check out Ableton Live.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

What kind of software instruments come with ProTools LE? I guess my main concerns are that there's a decent sounding piano and perhaps some way to accurately simulate a Rhodes piano. Thoughts?

I can't speak for LE, but Rhodes are pretty easy to find in sample packs, and some samplers will come with them. If LE doesn't have what you're looking for, try a sampler plugin.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Pro Tools doesn't support VST plug-ins/instruments so if you want to tap into the large library of free stuff kicking around on the net you'll probably want something like this.

LE comes with Reason Adapted I think, which I'm pretty sure has a basic piano and rhodes patch, but it's a little more involved to use Reason than the average virtual instrument.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
I happened across a Dual Processor 500 MHz G4 with 512 RAM, a soundcraft spirit 328, and a Motu 2408 Mk II, for $360 bucks. It was a school equpiment auction. God I love auctions. Anyways, given the appropriate cables with which to hook everything up, and a new power supply for the board which we're working on now, should I be able to get this stuff hooked up and running. I mean, it's the exact system that came out of our old audio studio, except that they wiped the machine (which means I have to reinstall everything) and they didn't give me cables.

Thoughts? I've been reading manuals, so I think I'm decently clear on how to hook things up.

CHRISTS FOR SALE
Jan 14, 2005

"fuck you and die"
Hey guys, I've been talking to some of my friends and they have been really talking up the MOTU Ultralite. Well, I checked Sweetwater and apparently I can get the MOTU 8pre for the same price.

Does anybody here own a MOTU 8pre? How's it workin for you? :)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
The Ultralite and 8pre are entirely different things..

tanner4105
Jun 29, 2005

'cause i ain't no hollaback girl

Shoop da Whoop posted:

Check out Ableton Live.

I use my firepod with Ableton and I love it

dalp
Oct 7, 2002
My friends and I would like to record a rap album this summer. So basically we want to be able to do two things:
electronically make beats
record vocals

just wondering what i would need for a cheap beginner setup. I have a mac laptop or a desktop PC to work with. i also have a couple mics sitting around.

Quiz Show Scandal
May 5, 2006

wixard posted:

LE comes with Reason Adapted I think, which I'm pretty sure has a basic piano and rhodes patch, but it's a little more involved to use Reason than the average virtual instrument.

So ProTools doesn't support VST, but Reason does? Is there a way to make the two "join forces" so that I could take advantage of all the free VST stuff? Maybe create a VST track in Reason, export it as a finished audio file, then pull the file into ProTools?

I'm pretty much guessing at the capabilities of each program. I know you said the problem could be solved with this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VSTRTASWrap/

But if I don't have to spend any money, then I don't want to, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Memorable
Jul 25, 2004

You are the single most important person in the universe.

dalp posted:

My friends and I would like to record a rap album this summer. So basically we want to be able to do two things:
electronically make beats
record vocals

just wondering what i would need for a cheap beginner setup. I have a mac laptop or a desktop PC to work with. i also have a couple mics sitting around.

Read the thread, maybe? You'll need an audio interface to record to your computer with. Get one with at least as many inputs as you would plan to record simultaneously. And I'm guessing most people in here are going to recommend FL Studio for music/beat production if you want cheap and beginner oriented. There are tons of tutorials online. Shouldn't be too complicated if all you're recording is vocals.