Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I'm using Abelton Live my friend is using cubase. If I want to send a work in progress to him whats the easiest way to do so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Stux posted:

So he can listen to it or mess around with it? If the latter what are you using in the project ie midi based stuff, pure audio, effects etc and does he have the same vsts as you?

Just pure audio. He put down a guitar track at 120 bpm and I was programming some drums, just trying it out.

Except when he sends me the file as an mp3 apparantly his 120 bpm doesent seem to correspond exactly with my 120bpm. Is it something to do with being an mp3? Could he just wrap everything up as a bunch of WAV's somehow and have me import it fine?

e; that had way too many spelling mistakes.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 11:11 on May 4, 2008

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I'm kind of baffled as to how you get a great sounding vocal track.

Currently I'm using an sm58 and a PODxt to record, hardly ideal. Soon I'm going to be picking up a condenser mic from a friend and some kind of audio interface (any recommendations? The only feature I really need is phantom power).

I'm confused about the following things.

Recording: How much does it matter where you record? The room where my pc sits is fairly dead acousticly.

EQ: Where exactly is a voice in the eq spectrum, is there anything you should be doing to it with an eq?

Compression: What are you aiming for exactly when you compress a vocal other than an even volume? What kind of ratio, attack speed ect?

Ambient effects: Every time I attempt to add reverb it sounds far too "real", like I've recorded it in a gym hall or a bathroom or whatever. I can turn it down I'm not exactly sure what I should be doing to give the vocal a sense of space and ambience in the mix as opposed to just sounding like an echoey room. Delay just seems to gently caress things up further.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Are there any free amp sim VSTs? I dont need anything great I have a POD for that when I can be bothered to hook it up and patch surf. I just want something that lets me quickly plug guitar straight into my usb and rock out without it sounding like an unplugged guitar.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Ok, heres something thats killing me:

I'm using abelton live.

I have a Podxt pedal and an alesis io/2 interface, the POD can also act as an interface.

I have ASIO4ALL drivers

using the ASIO4ALL to record with the pod, I get 2.18 input latency, 2.18 output latency, 4.35 overall latency.

Using the io/2 with its own drivers I get 5.58 input latency 27.9 output latency.

Using the io/2 with ASIO4ALL I get 17.3 input, 17.3 output.

Is there a way to get latency down with the io/2 or is it just a piece of poo poo? or is it something to do with my pcs speed?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Stux posted:

Is there a reason you're using ASIO4ALL for the pod instead of line6s asio drivers?

No particualar reason, I just get the best results that way. Its just weird that the POD works so much better for recording than the io/2 considering thats what its made for. But then I cant use microphoens with the pod.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Lloyd Christmas posted:

What do you guys recommend for non-amped ways to record guitars? I live in an apartment and need to be able to do it quietly. My current setup is a Pod 2.0 into the line input of an Mbox, and it sounds like total rear end. Muddy as gently caress. It might be that I'm completely inept at programming the Pod, but it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to get a relatively decent sound out of it for what I'm doing (mostly simple power chords).

Anyone had any experience using this type of setup?

I;ve found the best way to use PODs recording is to use much, much less gain than you would normally and then layer the hell out of the guitar track.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I have a coupon for $50 off ableton live if anyone wants it. I've already got it.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

This may be a stupid question but would a faster PC reduce my latency? Or am I stuck with the same latency as long as I'm using the same audio interface?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

wixard posted:

A faster computer isn't going to increase the speed that the audio goes into and back out of the PC as that relies on the A/D, the implementation of the protocol, your divers, etc, but it could shorten the time it spends processing while it's inside.

Let me put it this way then. Would a faster pc let me pull down the amount of buffering needed and thus reduce it that way?

At the moment I'm getting 5 input latency and 88 output which is workable because everything ends alright when you play it back but its annoying as poo poo when monitoring.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 17, 2009

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Alesis io/2, if I bring the buffers right right down to their minimum its 2 input /5 output but then that sounds like dogshit. Generally I have to keep pushing them up till it reaches stability at something ridiculous like that.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Roctor posted:

How fast is your processor and how much memory do you have? I could imagine that your problems are caused by a lame computer, but it's hard to judge without specs.

Pentium 4 3ghz 1g of ram

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Once you've got a shitload of tracks in Ableton is there any way to clean things up visually? Or do I have to wait until 8 comes out with the zoom feature? Ideally I just want to be able to say, "all those tracks up there? They're done, I dont want to have to look at them anymore" and shuffle them offscreen somehow.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Feb 5, 2009

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Is sidechaining a compressor when mixing useful for anything specifically? I know about the house music WHOOMPH WOOMPH WHOOMPH thing but I'm thinking more practical than that.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

RivensBitch posted:

It's very good for many things. The simplest application is giving a certain instrument priority over others. Let's say for instance you have a heavy distorted guitar that is sitting in the same space as the lead vocal. You could try to EQ it, but another trick would be to put a compressor on the guitar, and sidechain the vocal to the compressor's trigger input. Set a quick release and a medium/fast attack, and set the threshold and ratio so that you get about 2-3db of reduction, and now your vocal will pop out. It can be subtle or extreme, but sometimes using an EQ on the guitar in that situation is like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. You're sacrificing what could be a good tonal area throughout the track, when it's only those sections that really need tweaking. There's a plugin from TC electronic called dynamic EQ, which allows you to do the exact same thing, but it applies EQ instead of compression.

Yeah I was thinking that would be obvious but everytime I try to sidechain or automate something when making guitar based music it always sounds awful and fake. Guess I need to work on it some more.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Question: Why do people record in 48k/ 96k/whatever when CD audio is 44.1? Isnt any benefit just going to be lost in the final mix anyway?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Are there any good tricks for bringing tracks together in a mix? I mean getting the feel that the bass and drums were recorded together without having the means to actually do so.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

nimper posted:

Use a click track when you record.

No poo poo, I meant recorded in the same room sounding like a "real" band.

That being said I figured out what it mainly was, I was getting a bunch of latency Live wasnt reporting right meaning there was an annoying subtle time disparity between the sequenced drums and the real bass.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 6, 2009

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Theres a test you can do which involves connecting a cable from the input to the output and seeing the difference with a test tone. It still doesent feel quite right though.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Drum and bass breakbeats are breaks sampled, cut up and rearranged. Part of the reason they sound the way they go is that they include the ghost hits and other noise from the original sample.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

RIP LISA LOPEZ posted:

What is a decent affordable sound card to get for use with soft synths and recording? Do most cards these days support ASIO?

A sound card isnt specificly what you want. Whatever you're getting as an audio interface (usb, firewire, whatever) will effectively be your sound card when you're doing music, it could be a PCI card if you want but there are more options than that.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Well your options are basically anything is what I meant. Any audio interface would be an improvement on your current one.

Your choice is whether you want to go usb 2.0, firewire or PCI and what features you want, performace of softsynths has more to do with your CPU than anything.

Heres a fairly decent guide:
http://www.tweakheadz.com/soundcards_for_the_home_studio.htm

The only real recommendation I have is dont get an Alesis as they are garbage.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Thats a bit of an awkward question as what makes a song sound "studio quality" is like asking what goes into a good painting, or how you build a decent house. The answer is always going to be "tonnes of poo poo". You're better off posting the song and asking for specific critiques. If you want a how-to guide buying a book would be more informative than any single free website I could think of.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Stabbing Spork posted:

This thread is fantastic, I just got the end of it today.

I'm planning on replacing my 2 year old laptop with a new computer. I was planning up spending up to $1000CAD on a thinkpad r500 which has a core 2 duo p8600 processor, and 4 gigs of ram. Will this be enough for recording 5-6 tracks on ableton live, while using VST's like guitar rig, and ezdrummer? Right now my laptop hits 100% cpu very quickly if I have guitar rig, ez drummer, and a pair of vocal tracks with no effects. So will the new laptop be enough, or should I build a desktop?

And does anyone have any experience with the Tascam FW-1082? That thing looks amazing for the price.

Thats about par with mine and it should be fine. aiming for lower latancies might make it choke sometimes though.

Regardless though I find its best to conserve cpu by resampling tracks. Dont record the guitar rig track, bounce the output of it to another track then record that. That way you get multiple guitar tracks with only one instance of GR.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I've always heard you should use a condenser mic for vocals but why is this? I'm having a pain getting a good vocal track and I'm wondering whats so criminal about a dynamic mic.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

jebeebus posted:

Bleh, just found out my Tascam US-122 I've been using doesn't work with Vista. Anyone have a basic USB interface lying around you'd be willing to sell? Just looking for 2 XLR and phantom power, like the E-MU 0404.

Really? I've got a US144 and vista.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Rashomon posted:

Does Logic run well on the less expensive Macbook Pros? My brother and I are moving into an apartment together and going to be doing a lot of recording, I think. We're planning on getting a new computer to do all of our recording since the computers we have are adequate but not ideal, and Logic is really tempting. But the $2500-3000 for a Mac Pro is sort of daunting, especially when you could get basically the same hardware for 1/2 to 1/3 that on a PC. Are the lower end Macs enough power to run a moderately large Logic DAW smoothly?

Alternately, is there any way to run Logic on a Hackintosh?

EDIT: OR, is there a way to get a cheaper Mac or Mac Pro, and put in more RAM and another hard drive (for example) myself without paying $300 for $100 worth of hardware?

I've been researching this myself. From what I can tell:

Logic ought to run fine on the macbook pro or mac mini so long as you arent doing anything like putting space designer plug ins on every track, remember that one of Logic Studios selling points is Mainstage which is basically useless unless it can run well on a laptop.

The main issue you'll run into is screen real estate, Logic is much more accessable with a large monitor and the 13" might feel a little dinky. Also you'll want a mouse becasue using a touchpad to work is hell.

You can specify additional ram from the store when you buy it, you can get external hard drives about anywhere.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 15, 2009

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Thirst for Savings posted:

I probably could have ran some sort of test before I brought it back. I would be interested to see someone do some science on theirs.

So even though I'm really liking this UX2. I'm thinking I just wanna go all the way and grab an 8 channel Preamp so I can do some recordings with drums and possibly some other projects.

Is there really an advantage of Firewire over USB 2.0 when you get up to that many channels?

As I understand it the advantage of firewire IS that its better with more channels. As it was explained to me with only 1/2 inputs there isnt much difference between firewire and USB, however because of the way firewire handles information its much better for a large amount of simultatious inputs.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I like Ableton becuase I find it very easy to program drums in it. Click on a slot in the session view and make a clip. Then let the clip run and just punch in whatever on your controller. When you're done and quantised you can just drag and drop the various clips you've made into the arrangement view.

I prefer logic's effects though, it just sounds better in some indefinable way but live is so absurdly easy to use.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

IntoTheNihil posted:

Can you use the standard Pod XT/Express/etc for recording bass?

The podxt yes but you dont get to download the bass amp models unless you pay for them.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

nrr posted:

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to get a feedback sound out of a software amp and effects setup? I'm using Ableton Live with FreeAmp3, an acoustic with a pickup, and apart from headphones the closest thing I've got to monitors is a lovely pair of computer speakers.

I'm doing really dirty, nasty sounding slide guitar with a fair bit of distortion and trying to get some feedback type sounds going on long, sustained notes. Does anyone know if there's a way to simulate feedback at all, or is my best bet going to be trying to get some going with these dinky little 4" speakers?

Use a Y cable with a real amp in the room. Subtle feedback/resonance from the speakers is part of the reason simulated amp models dont "feel" quite right.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

mike12345 posted:

Rap

I love how 80's this is. 808 BOOM

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

This is really annoying the poo poo out of me. I've been using Ableton for ages, and I've got a pretty good workflow going, if I want to do something I can understand fairly quickly and intuitively where to go and how to get down parts quickly.

I've recently tried moving to logic though, and it just sounds better. I dont know how, or why but I can spend ages trying to treat a vocal part in ableton so it sounds good, load up a patch in logic and bam, there it is. I think its that abletons built in effects are just sorta crappy, or more likely just user error but whatever, I've spent ages wrestling with them and I'd prefer to go with whatever sounds good right now.

The only problem is though that it breaks. All the time. I'm getting weird cpu spikes that come out of nowhere and shut down the project. I tried googling the exact error I'm getting and all I'm seeing is a lot of vauge unhelpful advice and a couple of oh-what-the-gently caress-is-this-apple rants from people with similar problems.

So its fustrating as poo poo, I've got the program I can work in, that dosent sound as good. Or the one that sounds great, but I cant trust. FFFFFF

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Too Poetic posted:

I'm thinking about picking up a Shure SM58 and an M-Audio MobilePre. The only thing I've seen some people saying the quality isnt great. Does anyone have an example of what kind of quality I can expect from this kind of a set up? Are the people complaining just huge audiophiles?

Couldnt say. Its not going to be total dogshit, it might have a small problem with noise or something. Most likely its going to be one of those things where you dont notice the difference until you've used a lot of high end gear.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

How does using an external hard drive help for recording? I've had a few people recommend it to me. I didnt initially believe it was necessary but now Im getting "hard drive too slow or disk error"s in Logic.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Quick question re: garageband. Is there some place to save files that isnt directly in the arrangement view? I'm talking like a window you can just drag a recorded take you arent using at the minute and drag it back out later. I know Logic saves all your projects files like this and ableton you can just use the clip view to the same end but I want to try GB for bare bones songwriting.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Sep 12, 2011

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Hmm, that makes in kind of useless for me. I cant really program a drum beat or something without being able to quickly audition a bunch of stuff.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Can anyone recommed a cheap audio interface that has multiple outs? I'm looking for at least 4.

Also, how essential is the min 7200 rpm hard drive for audio recommended in the OP? It seems quite hard to find one on a mid priced laptop.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 17, 2011

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Holy poo poo how did I only just realize the potential of abletons warp feature for writing riffs and parts.

Play a bunch of dumb poo poo, find and loop the best bit, warp it until its something interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

In garageband how do you take a "drummer" track and turn it into midi for editing the actual notes hes playing? I saw it happen once and I dont know how I did it.

Is garageband just designed to piss you off until you buy logic now?