Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Ericadia posted:

Some loops in garageband are MIDI tracks, and some are actual recorded audio tracks. MIDI loops are green by default, while audio is blue.

Also yes, buy Logic and experience joy and happiness*

*: after a lot of learning of course

I mean the garageband instrument "drummer" which jams out real time drums. Sometimes it seems to do it in audio, but once or twice it spat out the midi and I cant work out why.

Im thinking maybe it was just a glitch and its deliberately supposed to hide the midi so I buy logic.

Does anyone know a free drum AU plugin? It doesent need to sound good at all, I just need something to map out a basic general midi drum pattern in ableton. I dont care if it sounds like lovely fake drums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I used to use Ableton, now I use logic.

What I used to like about ableton was using the clip view so I could store parts for later. So I could have a track which looked vertically like:

Drum 1
Drum verse
Drum verse variant
Drum chorus

And then if I wanted drum-variant later in the song, it was there sitting in the clip view to be dragged into the arrange menu. Or if I came up with something on the fly, into the clip view it goes for later.

Now I use logic, I cant seem to save parts in this way. Unless theres something I'm missing? Please tell me I'm missing something.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 6, 2014

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Look at the rhythm first.

Maybe add a bridge between the sections, or a breakdown, of a false stop.

If all else fails: mess with what you have already even though you don’t want to do that, sometimes you’ve got to cut a good bud to make room for a great bit.

Look at other songwriters for what they did. How does smells like team spirit get it’s big chorus? Well it has a pretty long 16 bar build up where the guitar and vocals get stufk on a repeated melody, THEN the chorus hits. You kinda gotta announce what you’re going to do before you do it. Nirvana songs do this a lot , there’s always som kind of “chorus is coming now!” but before it comes in.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Are there any free* DAWs aside from reaper? It’s not for me it’s for a friend whose getting into home recording. He hates reaper though and so do I and I can’t recommend he drop $£ on something full featuted yet.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

As far as I know, not really, but I'm curious...

Your opinions are of course valid and all, but do you mind explaining why? Maybe someone here can help, if there are specific issues that are causing you to hate it. I mean, I hate Sonar, so I definitely get it, but I probably could come around on it if given some more time, or guidance. I'm not trying to assume you don't know your way around a DAW, as I don't know your situation at all.

I just think it’s ugly as balls and I tend to rank a DAW by how it feels to program drum parts in it and I remember not enjoying it. Ableton is king for drawing midi to me.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

IMO It’s partly about session view and the arrangement of parts as vertical blocks you can audition, then drag into the arrangement.

Also the way MIDI is drawn as single click blocks on a grid whereas logic takes more clicks to do the same thing for some godawful reason. Then you can just collapse the unwanted notes in the piano roll.

I use it for rock music even though that’s probably not what it’s typically associated with. My only gripe is that somehow Logics stock compressors sound better. I read an interview with Grimes where she said that she writes in Ableton but records vocals in Logic for that reason.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I can't imagine any situation where pedals clicking would be audible over the sound of close micced electric guitar in a mix with other instruments.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

This makes me feel like a hack for asking but is there a good "chord helper" app? Like an app where you can tell it the key you're in, and the chords you're using and it goes "oh you like those ones huh? Here are some more interesting substitutions and variations you may not have considered?" bonus if it can export to midi.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I did a killing joke cover today https://soundcloud.com/batteries/love-like-blood

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Skyarb posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I am largely doing podcasting/streaming and I have been using a shure dynamic mic, sm57 I think, but I am sick of how close I have to keep it to my face and how poorly it handles quiet and loudness (either everything is too quiet, or I am in clipping hell). So I am thinking of getting a condenser mic, I would like to get one that is xlr (since I am running through a focusrite pre-amp) and not USB. Any good recommendations for a semi-nice condenser mic that can handle recording from a foot or more away from the subject and normalizes louddness decently?

Was looking at the AKG P120 or P220 or AT2020 or AT2035

Have you tried using compression to even out the levels?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

You do not need a condenser mic unless you want a condenser mic sound. The SM7b seems to be facing a resurgence recently with every YouTube musician using one and that’s a dynamic, which helps if you’re in a lovely room and you don’t want to capture more of your lovely room than necessary.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

That recording sounds tinny even by SM57 standards though, something is wrong.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I mean this is an SM58 but still

https://voca.ro/1mB4HVtwAooN

Ott_s SM57 clip sounds like someone recording into a phone and not even a last 5 years phone.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Sep 16, 2020

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but oh well what the hell! Anybody got recs for like, websites for generic sample noises you can download? I'm thinking just a wide variety of like, background noises I guess? Car honks, wind, birds, ocean waves, etc.

If you’ve ever used one of those: rip audio off YouTube to mp3 sites you can literally just do that if you find a video you like.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I ordered a king bee from Latvia relatively cheap after swing rave YouTube reviews and it’s really nice. Comes with a manual full of bee facts too 🐝

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

You can just use the helix as an audio interface and avoid the 2i2 entirely. Also you can set up the helix for reamping a dry guitar signal later so you're not committed to a tone when you record. Also this way you'll get stereo effects without messing around sending two cables to the 2i2.

But meaningfully, no difference.

When it comes to mics for the thing is that it's about finding a mic that sounds best for the sound source. A mic that flatters the vocalist is more important than an "objectively good" mic. Same with any sound source.

Sure have just come out with a mini SM7b inspired mic I'd try if I hadn't already just bought something else.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

prom candy posted:

I don't actually own a Helix, I only own a 2i2. I'm just wondering if I should spend (a lot of) money on a Helix or something like it or if I can get sounds that are just as good by going straight into the 2i2 and then buying like Guitar Rig or something like that (or even playing with the stock Ableton Amp and Cab instruments.) I've never really been a tone quest kind of guy before but I've been recording my guitar a lot more lately and so I finally had the realization that hey my music is better when my guitar sounds good.

The helix is actually pretty decent as an interface because not a lot of budget interfaces have external send loops.

Personal opinion of the amp modellers I’ve tried my tier list is this

Amplitube with some specific models, the Mesa, fender and Marshall packs specifically. Not the stock ones. Effects are mediocre

Helix, with overall better effects

Guitar rig, albeit with a space echo sim I really like

Helix can be had in vst format with a deep discount on the vst if you own the hardware.

quote:

Is that the MV7?

Ya.

Although I’ve been looking at mics recently and the Aston stealth catches my eye. It has different voicings so it may well be the thing if you want an all rounder mic.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 18, 2020

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

OK 3 mic blind shootout. I had to do three takes becuase I dont have enough inputs to do them all at once. Thoughts?

https://clyp.it/mb0k5knt

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

iOS will recognise most audio interfaces these days however you’ll need the kind of adaptor that can connect a lightning power cable in at the same time or else your iPhone won’t be able to send enough juice to the interface.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Paperhouse posted:

does anyone know a half decent way to simulate guitar feedback with a VST/digital amp? I want to get some of that noise going on but I don't have a real amp, I plug my guitar into an interface and use stuff like Amplitube

EBow. It doesent sound exactly the same though.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Nothing worked with my iPad till I got the connector that charges since a lot of devices need more power than the iPad alone can deliver.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Puppy Galaxy posted:

does anyone use an ipad with a midi controller in a live setting? I may need to go beyond my usual sound palate of Nord Electro patches for a gig pretty soon and I'm trying to figure out the most economical way of doing it. I've used a laptop with Logic in the past, and could go that route again, but I hate bringing my laptop to gigs. Also I have a newer iPad Air with just a USB C port, so I'm guessing I'd need some sort of ridiculous chain of splitters and dongles to plug in a USB keyboard, power the iPad, and get sound out of it ... poo poo, is it even possible?

You'll need whatever the adaptor is that has power in to the iPad plus an out for USB, since the iPad alone likely won't be sending enough power to the keyboard. At least that's the case for my lightning one. When its all hooked up though its pretty simple. Power charger from wall into splitter, one cable to iPad, one cable to the USB device. Whatever the USB C version is should work the same.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

internet celebrity posted:

I've never used a preamp for recording guitar or bass into an interface, once I get the levels set I do all the dry signal shaping with plug-ins before hitting Helix or Amplitube. I can't really think of any benefit to using hardware unless you just like the way a specific piece of gear sounds which is totally valid imo. .

I still use external hardware for recording guitar because 1) I'm just faster at getting ideas down with it 2) Several guitar tracks of Native or Amplitube or whatever mercs your CPU, easier just to print it as is.

I switch to the plugins once final takes since it saves the hassle of "whoops guitar tone wasn't quite right there, better record the whole loving take again!'.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

So, I went and bought my dream rack mount preamp/compressor units only to discover that running a trumpet through a $100, 20-year-old delay guitar pedal isn't the best way to get a natural reverb. Any suggestions for a sub-$500 rack-mount reverb unit?

Is rack mount a non negotiable? VST is easier and a lot of the pro tier hardware reverbs are in stomp box format these days.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

An audio interface is basically just an external sound card that plugs into USB and handles all sound duties an inputs/outputs for audio going into and out of your computer. If youre plugging from the VT4 into your computer it can be assumed the VT4 is acting as audio interface, however sending audio for the computer into discord is weird and most don’t do that.

Most audio interfaces have a knob that just sends back sound coming into the input back to headphones so the user can hear themselves. So you would go into the VT then into the input of the interface then turn up monitoring.

Since you don’t need the best audio quality for recording a second hand interface should be fine, I would recommend the older generation focusrite Scarlett but they have a direct monitoring switch not a knob at a presumably preset vol level, which would work…ok but you probably want something with an actual knob to set level since you’ll be using it a lot.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

PTSDeedly Do posted:

Any tips on double tracking vocals? I like the effect when it works but it sounds sloppy on my end.

Don’t put the tracks at the same volume, have a lead track then a subtle thickening track. Edit them ruthlessly per syllable and according to the dynamics of the section.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Lots of loud vocalists use the Sm7b these days. Partly that could be put down to trends but since a lot of what the ear finds pleasing is sounds it’s heard before the SM7b sound + heavy vocals is a solid option.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Yeah that’s not a normal file size for 7 tracks.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

- Any advice on some less cheap-sounding Brass VSTs? The trombone is acceptable but all the free trumpet plugins I've downloaded are too weak, buzzy, or farty sounding.
- What's the most efficient way to add dynamics to tracks? There are moments where I want to pull back on reverb, or let another part come through more, but I don't want to create a whole other track just for that part. Basically, how can I contour EQ and Reverb for certain sections?

Indeed you you want to is automation. Ideally on a send, a separate track which only has the reverb on delay on it and receives audio from other tracks. Then you can do stuff like create a 'throw' which is the thing where echo is bumped up for say, a certain part only at the end of a line-line-line.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Drums are probably the best thing to play with to understand what a compressor does because raw uncompressed drums on record don’t even sound like what you think a drum kit does in the room, you only hear the peak and it’s awful, then messing with the compressor differently brings out different aspects of the sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Lysandus posted:

Not sure if this is the best thread but is there software to automatically make drums? Something that analyzes that the tracks you have (guitar, etc) and makes drums for them? I hate trying to make drums when I
'm just messing around.

If not, I have EZdrummer but does someone know of something even easier to throw drums together quickly?

Logic has Drummer which has a listen mode which in theory can listen to a particular track and work from it but in practice its best not to because the results sound like poo poo.

The thing is if you just want to jam to something quickly you could just use a stock loop. Ez drummer has midi libraries included.