Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.
Alright I'm new to the whole recording thing, right now my recording rig is super super ghetto. I basically use a Digitech Jam-man Looping pedal and extract the recorded loop off the SD card onto my PC. However I'm interested into getting into a little bigger production, the question is, where do I start?

All I've got is that Jam-man, and a Warez'D FL studio and Cool Edit Pro v2.1(?) I would like to start recording just guitar parts, but eventually getting into the whole production of music thing. Where do I go from here? I like Punk, Rock, Metal and Ska, though recently some electronic music has been interesting me. The biggest problem is that I'm trying to save for a car (I'm about 1,500 off my goal for a downpayment (6k) and I bring in around 1 thousand a month, or around 700 once I pay all my bills and poo poo), so I'd prefer not to spend more than 2-3 hundred dollars a month on this. However after the initial purchase of the car I'll have around $500 to spend a month, maybe a bit more, maybe less.

Basically my ideas for the first round of purchases comes down to:

A Bass Guitar (This will probably wait, as I might be able to get it cheap somewhere)
+ A Practice amp

A Decent Accoustic Guitar (2-3 hundred dollar range)

2 Microphones, I've seen a thread around here on Mics, I'll probably grab the best one for Vocals, and the Best one for Guitar Amp/Accoustic Guitar.
+ Whatever I need to put the Mics into the PC

A PC Upgrade, some more RAM and a Second External HDD

A Synth/MIDI Controller (Looking at the Microkorg)

Which of the above is the best place to start with the initial start up of say 400-500 dollars? Or is there something else I should look for to begin? Common sense says that Microphones or The PC Upgrade should be the most logical purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

WanderingKid posted:

Eh...Well you could start by actually buying the programs you are using. Then you get an instruction manual amongst other percs (such as access to Imagelines technical help forum).

I've been fortunate enough to find both Video guides and E-books for FL studios, plus I'd rather not have my first round of purchases blown on something I already have.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Yoozer posted:

Add to the list:

- monitor speakers
- a proper audio interface (aka fancy word for soundcard that's not a cheap gaming 7.1 piece of crap).

If you invest a bit in the latter and don't skimp on it you may even save yourself buying a mixer.

Any Recommendations for the two? And what sort of price range are we talking (for both) I got Ram at around 100 and an External around 100-150?

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

So for monitor speakers, something like:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/JBL-LSR4326P-Powered-Studio-Monitor-Pair?sku=600375

Hmm, I think that basic instruments and Mics will probably come before I go nuts on speakers. (Basic instruments being a Bass, Accoustic Guitar and A Synth/MIDI controller)

So right I'll probably start with a boost to my RAM and a Second HDD, than go for the audio interface and Shure SM57. I'll play be ear from there, either grabbing a second mic or an MIDI controller. We shall see.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Interesting. Are monitors really that important at this stage? Keep in mind I have literally no equipment, but a lot of people here are kinda pushing them pretty hard-core. I was always told to take the music out of the studio, IE: Burn your music and play it everywhere because 99.99999~% of your audience is not going to have uber-quality audiophile speakers and you want to know how they'll hear it.

At any rate, I still think I'm gonna go with the Base PC upgrade first, than perhaps the interface + 1 Mic, than a few additional instruments (MIDI Controller, Bass Guitar, Acoustic Guitar), and if I'm really into it I'll drop the cash for a nice pair of monitors. It's kinda up in the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Here's a question: Could you go cheap and skip out on buying monitors in exchange for buying some really high-quality headphones? I mean for 2-3 hundred you can get a drop dead sounding pair of headphones vs. the 500-thousand you'd spend on a really nice set of monitor speakers.