Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Was looking at getting a Shure SM58 or SM57 for my budget setup, but I just bought a Line 6 KB37. It seems like a pretty capable device, and I got a good deal on it too. I can add a microphone later.

I will be reading through the manuals, and waiting for the dude to come, very excited about the possibilities with the keyboard.

Anyway, I am running Audacity right now, no experience with anything else, but I have a feeling I will need to change that. What is a good program for a beginner? Mostly plan on doing basic stuff like recording the modeled guitar amps and stuff like that, but I would like to use the keyboard too.

I will be reading through the manuals. Is there anything else I should be doing in the meantime?

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I'm having a really tough time recording with my Boss Katana. The USB out sounds pretty good, but my recordings are very quiet with it. If I record using my MacBook's built-in microphone the levels are decent, but it doesn't sound all that great.

I thought I could adjust the levels of the input device with System Preferences, but it appears not to be an option for the Katana. It looks like I can't do it in GarageBand either.

What gives? What can I do? Here are some screenshots that probably explain better what I'm running into: https://imgur.com/a/MUzZ98Z

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Thanks, that’s helpful for sure. Couple questions though...

If I went with the cable would I only hear audio from my computer?

As for the Behringer, that is essentially a USB audio interface, right? So I could accomplish the same thing with a Focusrite too?

Not sure which route I’d go, but it might be worth spending a bit more so I could use a decent mic for my acoustic guitars.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The signal from USB comes in barely audible unless I crank the amp’s volume, which I can’t really do where I live.

I am a novice with GarageBand, but it might be possible I can boost the track there. I would rather not have to, but it might work for now.

I haven’t dug around in Boss Tone Studio either, but I will give it a try tonight.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The output is still pretty weak like that, and the one setting (from GearPage) didn’t do much either. I think I’ll talk to Boss about it and might try picking up a cable or interface today.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Lumpy posted:

Katana chat: I just did a test (I have the 100w head into Logic on a Mac, so very similar to your setup) and I can change the input gain over USB with the Volume on the amp while turning Master (again on the amp) all the way down to silence the amp output. With the volume cranked, the input is a teeeeeny bit low, but I moved the fader on that track to +3 to 4.5 and it is at good level for recording.

I also checked out that GearPage link, and by turning the System->Global EQ -> SW to "ON" and adjusting the 'level' at the very, very bottom, I was able to adjust the input volume / gain over USB. Just turning the SW to "ON" did nothing by itself. Hopefully that will help you out!

EIDT: I just recorded a hasty 12 bar with the Katana USB as input (with amp set to Volume 100%, Master 0%) and Drummer track, and it worked out well. I can post the audio and a screen of my mixer if it would be useful for you.

EDIT the second: The wattage setting on the amp (0.5, 50, 100) has no affect on the USB volume, FYI.

A couple of screenshots would be helpful! I think I know what you're saying though.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Thanks for all the help! I got the levels all right, but now it seems the amp is freezing my computer, which has got me rethinking how I'm approaching this...

Would there be anything wrong with using something like a Tascam DP-006 to get started? I get that it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that an interface and microphone and all that would have, but I think it might help me to not worry about all that when really I'm trying to work on writing songs. I suppose there's never a wrong way, so you don't have to convince me.

If anyone had any recommendations on something like this I would be happy to hear them. I think most of the time I would use it to record either electric or acoustic guitar and vocals.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Yeah, I work in IT so it’s screen time and computer BS all day, so a break from all that would be nice. My recordings will be rudimentary no matter what I use honestly.

As far as setting changes, there’s nothing I can think of. At first I thought it was my laptop, but I noticed it only happened when the amp was plugged in.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Yeah, I’ve tried the usual fixes, but nothing has worked so far. I’ll try another computer tonight.

I am still leaning toward the DP-006 or a DR-40 (XLR inputs!) to handle recording while I’m in this beginning stage.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

What you described is what I have in mind (layer tracks, etc.). I could see myself doing some nature recordings too.

It’s a bit tricky, I’m not sure I’m sworn to one camp or another. Both digital (computer-based) and analog have their merits. I know going too cheap can limit your capabilities, but the H4n and H1n do look cool. I think even having a USB microphone would be useful.

I’ll have to do some shopping this weekend. Definitely open to recommendations.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 15, 2018

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Yeah, I'm going to give it a go with an interface (Behringer UMC22). I figure it's OK to spend time trying to work out ideas before recording. That said, any recommendations for a budget mic for acoustic guitar? Probably some vocals too, but not a ton of them.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Whale Cancer posted:

I want to build a budget, small form MATX pc for a secondary recording rig. Ezdrummer 2, bass/guitars,vox and maybe some light synth work. All drums/guitars will be vst based as well as all compressors/eqs etc.

What cpu would you pick: ryzen 2600 or i5 9400f.

I think I’d go for the Ryzen. You could even run with one of the G chips to shave off the cost of a GPU. This might be better question for the system building thread in SHSC though.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I've got a Behringer UMC22, and the output from my guitar and bass is way lower than a YouTube video or anything else really. Is there anything I can adjust to even this out? Would a better interface not have this problem? I'm running macOS Catalina for what it's worth.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 5, 2019

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

A lot of people DI guitar into the interface and then toss it into GuitarRig ( a plugin you can get to work in almost any editing software) to get the sound they want. Not saying it's the best idea but it's good for bedroom producers.

I'd agree. This or an emulated output from your amp are good options for amateurs (like myself). I've been pretty happy with the results from GarageBand and there are plenty of FX to play with too.

That said, I certainly see the value in learning the art of recording with microphones. What is your setup like, landgrabber? Have you tried experimenting with the microphone's position and proximity to the amp?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

Would getting a better audio interface for recording electric guitar improve the sound, or is that solely down to the guitar itself? Both my guitar and interface were very cheap, and sometimes they really sound it

What are you using for modeling? If you’ve got something even halfway decent I’d be surprised if a new interface helped much. The guitar might make some difference, but again I wouldn’t think it’d be dramatic.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I like my UR22 too. It’s easy to use and hasn’t really given me any grief.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Might be worth trying things out in GarageBand too. I never could figure out Cubase, but my Steinberg UR22 has been just fine with GarageBand. It’d help eliminate any rare but possible hardware issues if nothing else.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Go for some 7506s. They’re a pretty versatile pick, and they sound fine to my ears. They clamp pretty good though, so be prepared. My other choice would be some Beyer Dynamics, but I think either will do what you’re up to well.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Hey! I just picked up a set of Mackie CR3-X's, and I thought I had RCA outputs on my interface, a Steinberg UR22 MKii, but I don't. It looks like I should be able to connect the two with two 1/4" TRS cables, but I'm really not sure. Would something like this work?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Alright! I’ll spring for those at some point here.

Also, any suggestions for recording vinyl records? My turntable does not have a USB out, but I’ve got headphone and RCA outputs on the receiver. I was hoping to run one of those two into the interface, but I’m not quite sure how.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Cool! Doesn't look like, my interface has stereo inputs, so I think running something like this from the tape out will do. C/D? I've got level controls on the interface at least, so if the cable's right I'll give it a try in a bit here. I've got plenty of records to hone my technique on.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

I want to get back into home recording after a ~10 year hiatus that included me selling off all my recording gear except for a couple mics. I'll start with a simple setup, just need a midi controller, interface and DAW. Do these seem like good picks to get started? Will be making rock music, probably recording guitar DI and amp modeling, and then midi drums, keys, bass, etc.

- Midi: Novation Launchkey 37. I used to have a 61-key M-Audio controller but my piano skills are fairly limited and one-handed, so I think a smaller scale would be fine and a better fit for my desk

- DAW: Live, used this in the past so have some old projects already in this format, and the novation comes with a lite version of 10 that I'd probably upgrade to 11

- Interface: I used to have a Focusrite Saffire which seemed like good value for a simple, beginner setup. Seems like the latest version of that would still be a good bet, but I do have a macbook with thunderbolt 3 ports, so that is tempting but seems like every thunderbolt interface is >$1000 when I'm hoping more for <$500. Am I missing any budget thunderbolt options or is that overkill for my purposes anyway?

Fwiw my macbook has 16gb RAM and a 2ghz intel processor, I'm not a computer or gear geek so my impression is that this is probably good enough since I'll probably be working with like max 20 tracks at once and more often <10, but idk

I can't weigh in on the controller with any authority, but I think Novations are generally just fine. I slum it with a weird Korg thing, so I can't say my taste is to be trusted.

For the DAW: I think GarageBand might be worth giving a try honestly, but familiarity goes a long way too. I just think of my days wanting to make trance music when I think about Live, I know it's more versatile, but GarageBand is much more intuitive to me and makes building songs around guitar and bass parts pretty easy.

For the interface: It's going to depend on your intents, but a $1,000 interface is likely overkill. How many tracks do you think you'll record simultaneously? Do you have any need or desire for something somewhat portable? There are a number of companies with USB-C interfaces now, so that might be worth considering, but with an adapter, dock, or the right display you can use a regular old USB interface just fine too. I could definitely see the value in starting off with a 2-input or 4-input and getting a set of powered monitors if you don't have those.

And last, your MacBook is just fine, so you can safely concentrate your efforts on the recording gear.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Thanks! Good point re: Garageband, I haven't really used it since like 2009 so maybe it's less janky than I remember it being at the time... Between that and Lite version of Ableton I'll have enough to test out and see if I need to try a different DAW or not.

Definitely am not going to drop $1K on an interface at this point, so yeah regular USB seems the way to go. Leaning towards Focusrite since I have some past positive experience, but if there's a clearly superior option in the $250-$500 range let me know. 2 inputs is fine and I use DT-770s for monitoring.

I think modern interfaces have all more or less come to a level of being generally fine. That said, it might be worth looking for ones with a USB-C plug to make connections easier. A couple I spotted are below:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlet2i2G3--focusrite-scarlett-2i2-3rd-gen-usb-audio-interface
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Studio24C--presonus-studio-24c-usb-c-audio-interface
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UR22C--steinberg-ur22c-usb-audio-interface

I've only dealt with the previous generation of the PreSonus and Steinberg, but both have handled my fairly basic recording setups without issue. I use the PreSonus for on-the-go stuff and the Steinberg has been planted on my desk for a couple years now. They still sell the previous generation ones too, and adapters are about $10, so they aren't a terrible value themselves. I plan on running both of mine for as long as I can, adapters and all.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

DreadUnknown posted:

Oh dang thats really nice, would you recommend a portastudio over a laptop? Ive drooled over portastudios for like 20 years now, but lappys feel like they have way more utility.

I prefer recording on a computer (specifically a Mac), but I get the appeal of devices like those. The couple I did try worked well and even had a pretty decent microphone. So I’d say they’re useful, and if recording like that appeals to you, try one. They had a 4-track one for a while even, so you don’t necessarily have to go big to start.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

busalover posted:

What's the preferred app to record an interview, if audio doesn't matter? Can I just use zoom? I thought about telling the other guy to record his input, and then I'll splice it together, but that'll probably be too "technical" for the average interview partner.

I think Zoom would be fine in this situation. Depending on what the final product is, you might have to somehow separate the audio and video, but maybe the video part would be worth keeping.

Lord Stimperor posted:

Help me pick a mic!

Hey, I figure this is a question that this thread would like. I haven't found a more relevant thread in the hardware/software forum, but if you know one please let me know so I can take it there.

Basically, I'm looking for a USB microphone. The use case is me 85% spicing up my remote work, 10% Discord chat, 5% off-chance that I record the odd guitar riff over it (probably not really, though). I have eliminated a bunch of candidates and basically arrived at three options.

Requirements
  • USB
  • Ideally int the $100 range, but I might be willing to splurge for $150
  • Should sound good out of the box -- can't install any software to process on my work laptop! (I can use software on my gaming / recording PC, though).
  • Quality of life features: mute button, headphone jack, ideally some sound controls on there as well
  • Should look nice
  • Bonus points: if it comes with a stand that is tall enough to not have to use a mic arm

Which one should I pick?
1. Rode NT-USB Mini

2. Elgato Wave 1

3. Blue Yeti X

Seemingly everyone raves about the Yeti, so maybe just get that. The Rode would be another fine pick if you prefer it, but I think the Yeti has a slight height advantage. Not familiar with the Elgato though.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I couldn’t find a good breakdown either, so I’ll make a few recommendations. I think you’ll want something that allows for Hi-Z and line-level input, so here are a few starter options with that:

Behringer UMC202HD: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC202HD--behringer-u-phoria-umc202hd-usb-audio-interface

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlet2i2G3--focusrite-scarlett-2i2-3rd-gen-usb-audio-interface

Steinberg UR22MkII: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UR22MKII--steinberg-ur22mkii-usb-audio-interface

I have the Steinberg, and if I was in the market again, I’d want to check out the Focusrite (have only demoed it in store). I wouldn’t turn my nose up at the Behringer either. It was more than capable for my purposes when I was using one a few years ago.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Yep, CoreAudio would be my first choice on a Mac. If there’s a particular function that isn’t working, you can try the manufacturer’s drivers, but I didn’t need to install any for the Behringer, PreSonus or Steinberg I run now. Some drivers use kernel extensions, which won’t be supported much longer. I wouldn’t worry too much about it though.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I've been working on recording my LPs, but I haven't been totally thrilled with the results. I think my main qualm is that the audio levels are significantly lower than songs I've downloaded or ripped from a CD. That said, I'm curious what I might be able do with the recordings I have. I think they sound alright if I crank things up enough, but they are pretty quiet in general. I did try to do a level check before recording each, and I tried to get the loudest parts of the albums to get my interface's clip lights to go on briefly.

Anyway, I hope I don't get banned for files, but here's a clip of "Dramamine" by Modest Mouse: https://voca.ro/1ezimuEYITLm

You can compare it to the version they have on Bandcamp here: https://modestmouse.bandcamp.com/album/this-is-a-long-drive-for-someone-with-nothing-to-think-about

I have all of the .wavs still, so I should have pretty good editing capabilities if necessary, but I'm not really sure where I'd start. I've got access to a Mac and a PC, and I'm not afraid of the command line either if something like mp3gain or aacgain would make quicker work of things, as I've gotten a number of my albums exported to those file types already.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Ah, wow. That's a lot to take in, but I really appreciate it. It sounds like I need to learn a little bit about mixing and mastering (just to even get the basic vocabulary and goals down). I'd take any recommendations there, but I'll skulk around on the web for some resources this weekend. I do see some concrete steps I can take too, so thanks for the suggestions with Youlean and so on.

For what it's worth, the process has gone like this. I have the tape out of my stereo's receiver going into channel one and two on my interface. Then I go and record all sides of the album and save the project. Then I export the project to a .wav so I can run it through VinylStudio for track splitting, tagging, album artwork, et cetera. So yeah, no EQ or compression. Whoops.

If I'm understanding this right though, I should go back to the projects and work on dialing in equalizer and compressor settings for each recording. I've got at least some of the GarageBand projects still kicking around, and I can see what I can do with the .wavs too.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I am recording LPs, yes. I’m using GarageBand to record the play through, but it’s just the one stereo track. Anyway, I will look into the gain trickery then. Like I mentioned, I stumbled on a few different utilities already (aacgain/mp3gain). Open to any advice there too, cause I’m still out of my element there.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I think I’d look for a bit more stripped down of a field recorder. Fewer frills means better battery life generally, and even simple units eat batteries at a good rate. I’m partial to Zoom generally, but the couple of Tascams I’ve used were just fine too. Rocking an H1N now.

Some questions to consider: Are you going to need multiple tracks? If so, how many? How far are you going to be from more batteries and/or electricity?

Then I’d recommend making sure what you get does what you want before you’re out in the mountains. Get familiar with the thing basically. To the extent you can, try out what you’re thinking of before you’re there.

Last, I think with somewhat of an open mind, you will get recordings that are more than adequate. The microphones on a lot of those units are really quite good. A stage setup would be more difficult for sure, but that’s where you just have to have some level of understanding of the tools you have and what they can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

https://vocaroo.com is pretty good for that sort of thing.