Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GabrielSyme
Jan 10, 2007

Chaos is dull.
hello, I'm having trouble with sound quality. It's noticeable in listening that there's a real lack of presence. also, when i pull stuff up on winamp, i notice that the oscilloscope (? i guess that's what it is) is really only registering low frequencies which fall off almost completely after the first couple bars.

Equipment:
laptop, windows, 2ghz
cubase sx3
firebox interface
presonus bluetube preamp
presonus comp16 compressor
presonus eq3b
akg perception 400 condensor mic
2 shure sm57's

Instruments:
ibanez pf...something
yamaha s08 keyboard

Post record EQing, bringing up the high end sounds really twangy (it's especially in the guitar).

any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabrielSyme
Jan 10, 2007

Chaos is dull.

wixard posted:

If you turn the volume way up does it sound normal? Is it just quiet?

mmm, hard to say.
i've posted the mix as of yet on https://www.purevolume.com/thehibbertjournal/
it's specifically the one titled "Pinky's," and, yeah. i know the rhythms are a bit off in a few places and the levels are definitely off throughout, i stopped messing with getting stuff perfect when i started listening to it back because the whole thing is just really bass heavy.
i reset all the eq's i had put into it so this is how the tracks are sounding as they're recorded.

someone asked. the guitar is an ibanez pf (pf5ecent)

GabrielSyme
Jan 10, 2007

Chaos is dull.
alright, revising question...

if im getting a lot of low end through a condenser mic even with bass drop off switch, are there any suggestions for getting a more consistent frequency response?

GabrielSyme
Jan 10, 2007

Chaos is dull.
Here are the facts:
Macbook Pro, boot camp, booted in windows, using cubase sx3 and a presonus firebox.
Cubase is fine.
I've installed the firebox, but when i plug it in, its light flashes blue then goes back to red. in cubase, i have the option to select it as my ASIO, but then if I do, it immediately says no sound device is connected.
In Control Panel, when I go to Sounds and Audio Devices, I can't choose the firebox for anything, only Realtek HD Audio (i think the soundcard onboard the mac).
If I boot in Mac OSX, the firebox works fine, but I need to work in Windows because of some of the programs I'm using, so that's not an option, but that means the port, the cable, and the firebox are fine. so it has to be on the windows side of things.
From the start menu, if i go to the steinberg folder and try to configure the ASIO, the Realteck HD Audio is my only choice for ASIO Drivers to configure.
Last thing, if I go to the Firebox control panel and switch the clock source from internal to S/PDIF, the firebox blinks red then blue back and forth at about 1 second intervals, so it's communicating with the computer to some degree.

any ideas?

GabrielSyme
Jan 10, 2007

Chaos is dull.

RangerScum posted:

Try going into your device manager and disabling your sound card. Then reinstall your firepod. I was having some synching problems when I installed mine the other day, so I disabled my audigy4, installed my firepod, got the solid blue light, then I reenabled my sound card, went into the Cubase asio inputs/outputs control center, and unchecked the sound card from that, making sure only the firepod's inputs/outputs were selected.

After that I have had no problems. I should add in that I am a beginner so I could be completley wrong about why it started working.

still nothing.

the phantom power (48V) shouldn't make any difference, that's weird it should have for you.

i just dont understand why windows only half recognizes it. cubase recognizes it, but then won't let me load it. the firebox control panel lets me mess with its settings apparently, but that's it. i'd ask if there was just a way to go into windows and set the priority for ASIO drivers so that the firebox preceded the onboard card, but it's like it's not recognizing it. ...but then it still shows up in device manager as a recognized hardware that's attached
any other ideas?

GabrielSyme
Jan 10, 2007

Chaos is dull.
!!! got a hold of tech support, I was missing a patch for Service Pack 2. Thanks for the advice anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabrielSyme
Jan 10, 2007

Chaos is dull.
I do some home recording and I'm running into a dilemma. When I record my acoustic guitar I get decent volume (though I'd like better), when I record my telecaster I get good volume, and when I record my keyboard I get horrible volume. The keyboard is the main hang up right now. The equipment list for the recording I'm working on is as follows:

Cubase SX3
Presonus Firebox (interface)
Presonus BlueTube (preamp)
Presonus Comp16 (compressor)
Presonus EQ3B (eq)
AKG Perception 400 (condensor)
Yamaha S08 (keyboard)
Telecaster Mexican
amd a Boss Superoverdrive (SD-1) pedal

I record the acoustic through the condensor and I've been recording the electric direct for the time being. The keyboard is the main problem, I've tried plugging it through the preamp, directly into the compressor, directly into the firebox, I don't want to do it midi.
I've tried as much as I can think of to try to get more sound out of the keyboard, any ideas?