Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Packed Tightly
Mar 3, 2007
Hi ML,

I'm looking to get into some basic music production. If someone could suggest a couple of brands of good (and not insanely expensive) MIDI keyboards I'd really appreciate it. Is there any other piece of hardware I'd need, or would a basic MIDI keyboard get me up and running?

I'm also trying to connect my (lovely) electric guitar through the soundcard on my PC (via the microphone port). It works, but at higher volumes and when I play chords, it sounds as if distortion has been applied to it (which is cool, but not what I want). Would this be because of the shittiness of the guitar pickups, or is connecting a guitar through the microphone port not the best way of doing things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Packed Tightly
Mar 3, 2007
Thanks for the quick reply Wixard. I didn't ask about software because everything seems to be covered nicely in the topic linked in the OP.

I'm using a Soundblaster Audigy sound card, which obviously isn't the greatest. It makes total sense that it's loving up when I'm using the guitar as an input. I tried playing around with the levels a while back, but I could only reduce the distortion - it was always there on some level (most probably because the port is receiving something it doesn't like).

I had no idea something like M-Audio FastTrack existed. I'll most certainly be looking into getting it (or something very similar) as soon as possible. Would the problem of only recording 'half the sound' still happen if I was using FT? I did notice the stuff I managed to record with the mic setup sounded very strange, but when I tried to run it through my amp and then to the PC, the distortion was even more noticeable (my amp is equally as lovely as the guitar, so that's probably the reason).