Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

What audio programs/settings do you all use to get a good reverb on your vocals? I'm using a basic condenser mic and Audacity for simple recording, but the vocals to me always sound tinny and somewhat buried in the mix. How can I make it less obvious that I'm singing in my bedroom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Hello dead gay comedy subforum, I thought here might be a good place to receive some guidance. I'm a hobbyist musician, I write songs mostly on guitar and have performed in some small bands here and there, but I've never really recorded anything before. The only audio equipment I have at home is a condenser mic, a soundboard with a missing XLR cable, my acoustic guitar and a few amps/peddles. My bands have always been ephemeral in nature but I've never stopped making music, and it's occurred to me that I have at least full album's worth of songs that I've kept in my head for the last 10 years. And that some of those songs might even be kinda good! And as I'm getting older I've come to realize that I would really regret never recording them all in some capacity.

The thing is that I'm really quite clueless as to how I'd get started. I've given up on trying to recruit a band. The people that I've played with have all been flaky for one reason or another, plus I'm getting too old to just have some dudes over my house drinking beer and not accomplishing much of anything. I know some music theory fundamentals but I'm not really talented enough to learn or record all the instrumentation I would need by myself, and my own guitar skills are extremely basic. I could start small and focus on making an EP of just my guitar and vocals, but I'm not even really attuned to modern recording software beyond edits in Audacity. I could like... apply for a fellowship or residency that would allow me to pay actual session musicians to help record my project maybe? But that seems like a real longshot. I guess I'm just asking for some guidance before I throw $2,000 at a bunch of home recording software only to find out I'm really lacking in time and/or knowledge then give up 1.5 songs into recording. But I've got all this beautiful music in my head with french horns and accordions and poo poo that I would someday want the world to see! What do you think I should do?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Would this be a good thread to get some feedback on music notation or is there a better place for it? I've been very slowly getting into home recording, because I've made a whole bunch of songs that I'd really like to record before I get too old, but first I've been very slowly notating everything into sheet music with Noteflight. I figure this way I can export everything to Reaper as MIDI for samples and then maybe recruit actual musicians for the live parts, who would have sheet music instead of my usual brilliant direction of "do something that sounds like this". But I've been out of practice on music theory for literally 20 years so I'd like to ensure my notation is actually readable to musicians before I go on much longer.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Jazz Marimba posted:

I can also look it over. Besides being a musician I’m also a professional music engraver (holdover term from when it was done on metal plates; we all use computers now) with experience from classical to modern pop and prog

weed cat posted:

I'd be willing to give it a glance and tell you how readable it is. I went to music school and, at least pre-covid, was a professional musician. honestly though a "make it sound like this" directive isn't bad to have as well, even if it's just a pop song where you're like, "can you make your keyboard sound kinda like this?" and if you're giving music to a guitarist, their sight-reading is even worse than mine!! :chord:

Thanks, I appreciate it. I am super out of practice, and am probably making a ton of mistakes. But I really have no other excuse, so if it sucks, know that this is literally the best I could do. :negative:

I uploaded a PDF of the score and MIDI file here. I don't think it's totally finished yet, but I thought I might as well show what I have. The sheet music is like 25 pages so I'm not expecting anyone to read the entire thing!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Wow, that's a lot of helpful advice. Thank you, I'll do my best to clean up the score with the suggestions you've given me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I just wanted to check back in and thank everyone, Jazz Marimba in particular, for so thoroughly reviewing my sheet music. I've made a ton of changes, mostly to the notation but also to individual parts, and finally gotten this song about to where I'd like. I still have to figure out if my software will let me auto-transpose the trumpet part so there's still more work to be done, but I'd prefer to keep working on getting all my other songs down in written form. Writing a few MIDIs probably isn't a big deal to most of you here but for me it's such a slow and painstaking process that I'm happy I've even gotten to this point!

Updated Score and MIDI

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Thanks again for your help. Rhythm notation is a total mystery to me, and unlike all the other instruments in this song I have zero experience even sitting behind a drumkit.

As for the other parts, I have rehearsed and performed this piece a few times before with a intermediate-level trombone player. He was able to stick the ending whole notes, even if it did run him a little ragged. I play guitar and vocals and would probably continue to do so in any performance-ready sheet music for this song, so I'm somewhat less concerned with accuracy there.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Notating my own music for the first time has made me realize how much I hate my own vocal phrasing. It's fun to sing but it's a nightmare to write! Stupid tuplets and dotted eighth notes everywhere.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Hello dear goons. I'm a hobbyist songwriter in need of some advice on where to take my music from here. A few years ago I started the agonizingly slow process of notating some of my original songs. At the time I got some very helpful advice from Jazz Marimba and some other folks, and though it took me awhile, I finally managed to write enough down to start thinking about recording and publishing them. Here's the problem, though: I don't have any actual musical talent besides being able to sing a little, and no real experience with home recording.

All I have at home is a cheap USB soundboard, a condenser mic, and a beat-up acoustic guitar that would probably need to be replaced, so assembling a studio-ready workstation would also represent a significant financial investment in addition to (I think) being way out of my ability to do well. I'd like to think I'm a quick learner but I've messed around with Reaper and even after watching hours of tutorials, basic things still seem really overwhelming to me. Everything goes way over my head and most of the information seems to be tailored toward semi-serious musicians and bands looking to make a record. I don't think I have the innate talent to pull off the "one dude with a guitar" kind of thing, and the music I envision has a much more theatrical kind of sound to it, with trumpets and violins and all that. So for those reasons, I'm feeling a little stuck on how to progress besides it all existing as MIDIs and manuscript in my mind.

I guess what I'm asking is if anyone else has been in my position before, having music they believe in and want to record but maybe lacking the natural ability to pull it off. My initial plan once I'd finished notating everything was going to an audio engineer, paying for a couple weeks of studio time and session musicians and just cutting a 4-5 track EP that way to get something started. But searching the internet for people who have taken a similar approach doesn't seem to yield anything useful, so I'm beginning to think that's maybe a stupid idea. I'd also have to work with a super intuitive engineer and musicians because I'm not a trained composer at all and would need their input for the parts I wrote that probably don't make any sense or require unintentionally virtuosic skill. So that likely means more time and money, even if I dialed down everything perfectly before booking studio space. Either way I'd have to rely on active collaboration from more knowledgeable people, because I'm really not good enough to orchestrate all of this alone.

At this point in time I'm really just trying to find the easiest path forward. Writing music hard, home recording hard, have some music written that I'd like to exist in some way but no actual talent. How can I make what's in my head more of a reality?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Thanks for everyone's advice so far.

trilobite terror posted:

However, your experience making “theatrical” music with trumpets and violins will probably benefit most quickly if you take lessons—particularly keyboard and piano lessons. This will allow you to best take advantage of the plethora of synthesizers and synthesized instruments/sample packs/etc that exist. You don’t need to become a virtuoso keyboardist (though I’m sure it helps) but being able to bang out some scales and chords is going to pay dividends for your ability to write and record music.

There are lots of VSTs and synthesizer plug-ins, and built-in DAW features that will take the human voice/etc and turn it into midi, transcribe it to notes, etc.

One of the things I find overwhelming about trying to learn Reaper or any other DAW is knowing which VSTs would apply for the particular kind of sound I'm going for. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on plugins I don't end up needing, and the sheer amount of VSTs make it difficult to narrow down exactly what I'm going to need to achieve. The music notation software I'm using right now lets me export all my accompaniments as MIDI, which has been helpful, but I guess now I'd like to find something that's basically "MIDI, but sounds more an actual song" so that I could layer in vocal parts while making it sound natural. The Reaper tutorials I've seen all seem to be either geared toward people making drum loops and electronic beats, or live bands that are looking to record a demo or record from home. I have most or all of the accompanying parts already written, that was the purpose behind notating my music to begin with, but now I want to replace the MIDI sounds with higher quality samples, if I can't find actual human musicians.

Do you think it would help if you or anyone could look at my music and give me like, a "VST starter kit" of what you think I'd need to achieve, if not a professional sound, at least a passable DIY one? I do have access to a MIDI keyboard and know some elementary music theory, I can play guitar and sing. I don't have any vocal samples to share here but I do have a decent condenser mic I could use to record the singing parts. I think these are all pretty representative of the music I write, so if it all sucks, it's honestly the best that I can do!

Awake! Dear Heart | MIDI
My Body | MIDI
Morgan Magnusen | MIDI

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I appreciate everyone's advice. This is all really outside of my knowledge area so narrowing it down to a few options does make the searching easier. A few years ago I tried to record some really basic tracks in Reaper, but I kind of fell out of it as nothing really worked how I thought it would. And the free VSTs I downloaded at the time sounded worse than Garage Band. I think Ableton might be more at my level because you can just drop effects directly onto the track and it magically works.

To make this really simple: What do you think the best DAW would be to learn for my current method of writing music? Basically I want to notate everything on manuscript first, export them as MIDI, and then overlay the horn and string parts I've written using the sample/instrument packs people have shared here to make it sound not-like MIDI, while contributing my own live vocals and guitar accompaniment. However, I spent a couple hours searching Ableton tutorials and that doesn't seem to be how most people write -- they just play something on their MIDI keyboards and layer tracks directly into the project itself. I don't want to do that because I want the note lengths to already be perfect, and I want a lot of time to listen to how the parts sound together musically before trying to overlay them with a VST. I also want there to be some written notation in the event that I ever work with live instrumentalists. Nobody seems to be importing whole MIDI tracks into their projects though, so I'm thinking my way of doing things is probably dumb. Am I adding too many unnecessary steps?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I have two -- A Windows 11 PC with components mostly from ~2020 that I use mostly for gaming and personal use, and a 2022 Macbook Air that I use mostly for work and storage. The Macbook is probably more convenient to hook my soundboard into but I could make either one work.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

What's your budget? You mentioned a couple weeks of studio time plus session musicians... You could probably do that, but would probably want to hire a mix engineer too. And while I don't have a good sense of exact costs of all that, I'm fairly sure you're talking thousands of dollars at least.

People are suggesting free software, but you might want to look into taking a course in home recording (or at least looking into what that would cost) and then think about paying for high-priced VSTs, or whatever.

I guess $10,000 is probably my internal limit for everything from start to finish, from buying/updating equipment to the software to the eventual booking of studio time and musicians, engineers, etc. to album art and putting it up on Bandcamp or w/e. I don't know if that's a realistic number, but it's probably the most money I'd be willing to part with that I have no expectation of ever seeing again. I see this more as a single project for me than a lifestyle change or the long-awaited beginning of my music career, so I'm willing to pay to make it sound good rather than spend a lot of time experimenting. Which isn't to say everyone's advice about what DAWs and VSTs to look out for haven't been helpful, because it's given me a lot more focus on how to reach that next step. I'd want to have some fundamentals down before I start burning studio time asking my audio engineers to "make it sound like X" and confusing musicians. And maybe if I just take well to learning a particular DAW, I won't need the studio part. At least not right away.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

HaB posted:

Writing out an entire piece before you haven't actually played a note is kind of an unusual process. For people who want scores, they typically work with Sibellius or something that generates the score after the song is complete.

But I mean - you say you "already want the note lengths perfect" before you start messing with VSTs - but I mean - they are MIDI editors. Don't you want to be able to play with it on the fly? And you want to "listen to how they sound together musically" first - what do you do that on? Do you listen with just the old school default MIDI instruments?

At any rate - your thinking isn't dumb - it's just - not what anything was really designed for. I am trying to fully understand your process then maybe I can think of ways you can accomplish that with current tools.

Can you talk me through composing a song, from conception to "finished"?

It takes me like 10 years to write a song! But generally I start out with some kind of lyrical idea or concept, I find a melody that's memorable to me, I try to build a chord structure on my guitar around that, and then I just... think for a really long time, about how I'd like it all to sound in my head. I'd like to believe I have a really strong idea of how I want my music to sound, but up to this point, I've kind of lacked the skill to articulate it much further than that. It's already taken me a few years just to learn enough notation to write them all down as sheet music. I like to write songs but it's always been a very slow process for me. If I had a genie where I could just say "make it sound like this" and have it make sense then I'd be so happy, haha. But I suppose most people would want that, so that's hardly an excuse. I'm also starting to realize that I'm maybe one of the few people who would prefer to look at pages of musical notation than a DAW interface, but that's probably just a familiarity thing. I'd probably have given up by now if I didn't think some of my songs were really pretty and just having the need to get them out into the world somehow, ya know.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It was very kind of you to walk me through how to work with MIDIs through Reaper. It definitely helps me better conceptualize how I can adapt my current method to make at least a useable foundation in a DAW.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Stoca Zola posted:

I think you can get a lot of what you want, for free, using Reaper (and probably other DAWs too but Reaper is what I know best). So you can input midi into Reaper using step input, which will give you non-realtime, grid perfect note and rest entry, but Reaper does also have notation view if you prefer to do it that way. Using the DAW will let you get performance elements such as velocity/loud/softness, positional stuff with panning, and help you to get a more naturalistic sounding piece. You aren't stuck with General MIDI program voicings either. I think you could use your current workflow to get the notation exactly how you want, but then import into Reaper for rendering it into a demo. I hope you don't mind but I grabbed the midi of one of your pieces, Awake Dear Heart and chucked it into Reaper to see what I could come up with, with the free VSTs I have on hand. It really wasn't hard to import the midi tracks into Reaper (basically drag and drop, then they are all correctly titled for easy instrument selection). I had to delete your program change midi messages because they made Reaper crash, but then I used:

Guitars: Ample Guitar M II Lite, Sine Player some free nylon guitar sample
Strings, Horns, Trombone: Spitfire BBC Orchestra (I had to wait a while to get this but it was still free)
MT-PowerDrumKit 2 by MANDA

I adjusted the panning of some of the instruments, and changed the dynamics of the jazz guitar part so you could still hear it over the strings and in about 10 mins it sounded like this: https://www.sendspace.com/file/wfkm9o

So some comments I have about how to make it sound more naturalistic and not like just MIDI is to add more dynamics to the instruments. That might not be possible in your notation software but it's pretty easy in a DAW. For example here are your drums:

The bottom lane shows note velocity and you've got every part of the kit being hit with the exact same energy. You could accent the beats, or the syncopations, to make it sound closer to how a drum kit is played. There's tutorials on youtube for how to "program" drums when you aren't a drum player so that could help.

And this bit is the very simple edits I did to make the jazz guitar part louder or softer.
Because of the way the midi notes are written it was like the guitar was being muted per note which sounds very choppy and unnatural so I dragged the note lengths a little longer too.

I also fiddled with some of the note accents, but without knowing your intention for how the part is supposed to feel it's not for me to say whether one way or the other is better or worse.

I think you might be most of the way there to being able to get your demo tracks to sound how you want, you could probably benefit from listening to some tracks that are similar to the style that you want to achieve, and using those as a reference for how the instrument parts are actually performed and the instruments mixed. You will be able to do stuff in the DAW like adjust the EQ for the tracks to help the instruments not sound too muddy together, too. I don't think it has to cost you much money at all, if any.
Edit: I forgot to say, the advantage of entering notes with the midi keyboard is that you can get an approximation of the velocity you want at the time of note entry, rather than needing to manually adjust it later on. Or at minimum you can get loud/soft in to make it easier to see what you're doing when you do manually tweak it later.

I've been trying to do a little bit of this in Reaper and have a few followup questions.

1) Is it normal that I have to offset all of my VSTs by about ~180ms in order to get them to map correctly to the MIDI tracks? Otherwise they all come in about half a beat too early.
2) How did you find a drumpad that maps correctly to MIDI? All of the ones I've been trying don't seem to line up, and I'm not sure how I can edit those mappings in Reaper, if that's at all possible.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

1. The audio is early by about ~180ms once I apply a VST to the MIDI. If I play the MIDI track off of Reaper's general wavetable, the timing is fine. Live recording is also fine. I'm guessing it might have something to do with the score starting on a rest. I'm using the ASIO drivers that were installed by my soundboard. It is indeed early though, not late.

2. What I want to do is roughly match a drumkit VST to drum notation, so kicks on the bottom, snares in the middle, high hats on top, toms in between. But I'm quickly discovering that most drum VSTs don't follow those conventions at all. It sounded hilarious when I tried to map it to Addictive Drums 2, like a toddler banging on a drum set. I'll try using some of the kits Stoca Zola mentioned and try to adjust from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I've taken everyone's helpful advice so far and tried to stitch together the first score I shared in Reaper. I still really have no idea what I'm doing though LOL.

Awake! Dear Heart

This is just a draft, I'll probably end up re-recording the entire thing, though I appreciate anyone who has the time to listen and give feedback. Right now all I'm editing with are the basic Reaper plugins. Here are a few questions that I don't have any good answers for.

- Is there an easier way to tell what's causing my audio to clip? There are times where I'll look at all the track levels and everything is below threshold, but I'll still hear fuzz.
- How do you get vocals to sound like they're fully in the mix instead of floating on top? I get the basic principle of EQ towards the middle and compress, but it's lacking that "in the same room" quality.
- Any advice on some less cheap-sounding Brass VSTs? The trombone is acceptable but all the free trumpet plugins I've downloaded are too weak, buzzy, or farty sounding.
- What's the most efficient way to add dynamics to tracks? There are moments where I want to pull back on reverb, or let another part come through more, but I don't want to create a whole other track just for that part. Basically, how can I contour EQ and Reverb for certain sections?

Any advice is welcome. Like I said I have NO clue what I'm doing and even the basic youtube guides are confusing in the way they just kind of gloss over the three dozen settings every little plugin has.

There's still like, a world of difference between how the song sounds in my head versus what I'm actually capable of doing. But I'm learning!