Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Sorry to break up the festivities but a minor question on computer effects. I am filming a video project that involves a lot of narration. Most of it will be dubbed over footage, but some of it is me actually talking on camera in outdoor settings. Because of a shitload of background noise, I will be dubbing/syncing a studio recording of the narration and adding background effects (woodland sounds, city traffic, etc.)

The issue is that this is a parody of nature docs (David Attenborough style, Life on Earth, that sort of thing). The sound of Attenborough's narration is much different than the audio tracks of him out in the woods, walking on the beach, etc, because there's that ambient background noise, but also because he's being recorded on an outdoor mic. What's the best way to emulate this? Are there white-noise plugins or settings that can be employed? I will probably be installing and using a copy of CoolEdit 2000. Am I better off tweaking the wav after recording it, or does it make more sense to record it outside at night or something? Can that ambient outdoors sound be emulated or should I be trying to really produce it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Swivel Master posted:

The first response to your post is, in my opinion, poor advice. The version coming out of a speaker is going to sound dramatically different from what you'd get recording at a distance. This is probably the first time I've really disagreed with RivensBitch, but I don't think he's got film sound training or experience.

Here's what you do - get a good minute of outside-ambient noise. If you can't get a minute, just get big chunks of it.

Record the stuff you want to overdub in a studio as best you can.

Put it on top of the ambient noise and play it back to back with the location sound. Start EQ'ing until they match. That's all you should have to do, unless he's yelling and you need to add some kind of weird outside convolution reverb (doubtful). Chances are you'll be cutting some lows out completely, reducing in the hundreds of herz, and cutting the highest of the highs.
Yes, I ended up doing this and it worked well. I have a good set of sound effect wavs and a couple city/crowd/forest etc ones did the trick. Thanks for your advice.