Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Hey goons,

I want to record some samples from nature/wherever to incorporate into music, but I have no idea where to begin.

I know I would need a microphone, and a device to record it onto, but I'm totally new to this and am looking for some recommendations (of varying price ranges).

Ideally I could go out and record a bunch of samples over the course of a few hours (outdoors, etc.), and then bring them home and work with them.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

AriTheDog posted:

I've heard very good things about the Zoom H2 as well. I have a Boss Micro-BR and while it's good for sketching out song ideas while out and about, the mic's quality isn't terribly good. You *can* always plug another mic into it, though.

This looks solid and is in my price range.

I'm really a noob when it comes to audio tech like this, but I know that I'm going to want a pretty high quality mic for these recordings since they'll mostly be environmental sounds that I'll tweak later (in a program to be determined).

Any more recommendations for devices/mics before I bite the bullet on anything?

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I'm trying to decide on a mic to buy for some home recording. I mainly want to use it for vocals but being able to record a few other instruments I have would be a plus (acoustic/electric guitar, piano, possibly a kick drum).

Right now I have my eyes on this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/rode-microphones-nt1-a-condenser-mic-bundle

What can/can't I do with this? I've heard that condenser mics can't be used for everything because of how they are designed/fragile, but maybe I'm mistaken? I'll probably also get a SM58.

Also, where can I find some info on vocal pedals? Thanks!

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Just got my microphone and want some advice on how to set up all my gear.

What I'm using:
PC w/ Win7 and Ableton
2x M-Audio BX5a monitors
Novation Ultranova
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
SM58

I guess I'm wondering if it is possible to have my synth set up and ready to record at the same time as the mic through the audio interface. The synth is its own sound card (I select the Ultranova in the audio settings in Ableton), as is the audio interface - so I'm already thinking that I can't use both at the same time.

My monitors have XLR as well as 1/4" output. I can have the XLRs converted to 1/8" audio going to the back of my PC tower, or use the 1/4" to plug into the Ultranova OR the audio interface.

ihavenoideawhatimdoing.jpg

What is my best set up for recording?

e-Bonus Question: You guys have any favorite vocal effects pedals or good sites to bookmark?

e2-I guess I can plug the mic into one input on the 2i2 and then the synth into the other input. Wouldn't I want to output stereo from the synth though?

khysanth fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 10, 2012

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

h_double posted:

You definitely should run balanced TRS cables from the Focusrite to the monitors (either TRS-to-TRS or TRS-to-XLR). Make sure you use TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) cables! They are not the same as regular 1/4" guitar cable. You can tell the difference because TRS cables have two horizontal stripes on the shaft (like headphone cables), while mono instrument cables only have the one stripe. You won't blow anything up, but it will defeat the benefit of having monitors with balanced inputs, and can introduce line noise.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I think my Focusrite only has USB out (the TRS ports are just for input).

quote:

Ideally, yeah, but this still might be the best solution for your current configuration. There's plenty of ways (like reverb/delay) to fill out the stereo image of a mono synth part, and in practice it's more common to have the opposite problem (how to make a synth LESS full and expansive so it will fit in a mix). And you can always record the stereo synth part separately and add the vocals on a different take.

This is probably what I'll end up doing. Thanks for all the info!

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I've recently run into what I can only imagine is a compatibility issue with my Novation Ultranova, my Focusrite 2i2, and my DAWs (Ableton/Reaper).

I used to record in Ableton just fine with my Ultranova (using the manufacturer's ASIO drivers and the Ultranova as a sound card).

A few weeks ago I got the 2i2 and some mics and recorded some vocals.

The other day I went to plug my Ultranova back in and now none of my DAWs will let me record with it. I've tried installing ASIO4ALL but still nothing from the Ultranova. It says the ASIO drivers could not be loaded or something to that effect in both programs.

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers. I'm really at a loss here.

I made a reddit post a day or two ago but haven't had much luck there. I'll post the link so you guys can see the advice that hasn't worked:
http://www.reddit.com/r/WeAreTheMusicMakers/comments/14m1kb/asio_driver_help/

e-
Removed the drivers and did a fresh install again. Still getting this error in Ableton:

AUDIO tab
Drive type - ASIO
Audio Device - Novation USB ASIO Driver

When I select that audio device, this is the error message I get:

"Failed to open the audio device 'Novation USB ASIO Driver.'"

Windows 7 64-bit
Ultranova straight to the PC with USB

khysanth fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 12, 2012

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Solved my problem 2 posts up but I'm not happy about it.

Essentially I just have to route my Ultranova through the Focusrite from now on (whereas before I could just record Ultranova -> PC).

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

The SM58 is designed more for voice than the exceptionally similar SM57.

The Rode NT1-A is also a good budget option for voice (needs phantom power).

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I think we're in the market for a new laptop. It will primarily be used for music production (Ableton), video editing (Premiere) and photo editing (Photoshop).

What are the current recommendations? Everything we own is Windows based, and I'm not planning on going Mac unless the specs/performance honestly justify the cost.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Any laptop brands or specific models you guys would recommend? Not planning on any live shows for quite some time. Just want to get more serious in the home studio.

Currently rocking a Lenovo from 2013 and it is showing its age.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Wanting to build a patch bay so all my pedals and synths are readily available by moving a simple 1/4" cable (I have too many instruments). Anyone else go this route? What patch bays would you recommend / avoid? Currently eyeing this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SPatchPlus--samson-s-patch-plus-48-point-balanced-patchbay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I set up a simple patch bay so that I could have all 4 of my synths up at once and never have to move cables around when I want to record.

I have an RME Babyface Pro FS as my interface, a Presonus DP88 for ADC and input expansion, and a Samson S-Patch for getting it all together. An ADAT cable OUT from the DP88 to the IN on the Babyface for the additional 8 channels.

From the DP88 I have a DB25 snake from the Line Inputs (ADC Direct) Bal port to the S-Patch. I have the synths plugged into those patches.

Everything works - I have all of the instruments plugged in and working at once and I can record in my DAW.

The problem is that the highest level I'm getting when I turn volume up to the max on all the synths is around -33db.

The DP88 manual says the DB25 connector is for use with line-level devices. These inputs are scaled to accept line-level signals up to +18 dBFS.

Where am I losing so much signal? Any thoughts?