Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
-This works now, BUT!

I can only record to one channel, but this isn't really an issue since I can just stereowidth it vOv

Greggster fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I'm giving Reaper a shot but I'm finding the learning curve really tough.

How do I change the grid settings so that when I move wav files around they snap to something smaller than every .5 seconds?

You can remove the grid by clicking the bar icon, or if you want to see the grid but don't want it to move for each bar you can click the magnet icon. :)

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
I've been thinking about possibly getting a mic to record my music instead of going line-in to the soundcard, what are the pros to recording with a mic instead (and cons beyond not being able to record at good volume in the night at high volume)?

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Just stick your amp in the bathroom and drape a bunch of towels and blankets everywhere. Stick the mic close to the amp and you're good to go. Instant recording booth that, while won't sound great, will still be leaps and bounds ahead of line-in recording.

I think cranking the amp to get any decent recording is a bit of a myth. I would love to crank my amp (I can't cause I live in a shared-wall townhome), but I get an OK sound with a low volume.

You can pick up an Audio Technica AT2020 condensor mic for $68 on Amazon, this is a great deal:

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT2020-Address-Cardiod-Condensor/dp/B0006H92QK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330889647&sr=8-1

And get yourself a USB interface with phantom power and you're good to go. But I'm hardly an expert here, an AT2020 and a USB Fast Track Pro works great for me.

keyframe posted:

You don't need to crank it really. I have a orange crush 20w and a shure SM57 hooked up to the babyface and the recording quality is pristine. It will always be considerably better than doing line in recording which sounds like rear end unless you have something like the kemper:

http://kemper-amps.com/page/render/lang/en/p/158/do/Kemper_Profiling_Amplifier___KPA___Guitar_Amplification_Redefined.html

You and me both. I was going "holy poo poo I spent $800 on a audio interface :ohdear:" all the way from the music store to home but as soon as I hooked it up and recorded some stuff I am sold. It is worth it's weight in gold.

--

On another note, Does anyone here have the Focal CSM 65's? Would love to hear some opinions on those since I am seriously considering them.

Oh I wasn't thinking about the supposed "it has to be loud to sound good"-myth, merely that I live in an apartment that is terribly sound-isolated so it is more that I can't play it after 10 :shobon: Aye I got the usb-interface with phantom power (m-audio fast track) so that part is settled.

Looks like now I just have to decide between the AT2020 and Shure SM57, the SM57 I've got some experience with, but not the other one. Is the At2020 in similar quality as the SM57?

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Hogscraper posted:

You can't do this with EZDrummer. Only DFH Superior/Superior 2. Soloing is your only option.

It is possible to render the drums into single tracks (i.e, one for kick, snare top etc) in logic with EZdrummer.

I didn't know you could use ezdrummer with reaper, that's pretty neat. :)

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

chippy posted:

I have M-Audio AV-40's and I really like them. I don't know how the pros in this thread feel about them but to my ears they seem to have a nice flat response with lots of detail and I've been able to get some good mixes with them. They also work really well as general-purpose computer speakers, everything sounds fantastic and they have a bass-boost switch on the back in case you do want a little extra.

My pair of Av-40s doesn't have the bass boost :( They have a terrific mid/high however, only thing I sort of lack is the bottom, but for the price they had I guess you can't get everything.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Musical Vomit posted:

More of a mixing question than a recording question but...

Has anybody got any advice for panning? I've never quite got the hang of it and find myself working to a formula rather than giving the track what it probably needs. I've always found it to be a very subtle art, ie: I almost outright refuse to do hard pans unless I doubled mic'd an instrument.

Imagine the band is in front of you, where do you hear the various instruments? Pan accordingly. :)

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
I'm thinking about just spending the whole summer playing and recording my own music, but I lack a few things ; Microphones and everything that goes with it! What I'm looking for is microphones that are capable of recording drums&vocals, 1 for kick, 1 for snare, 1 for vocals and 2 for overhead. Since I'm on a pretty tight budget (I'm thinking of spending roughly €450) my options are limited, and I'm essentially looking for off-brand microphones that are still decent enough for not recording complete garbage.

I'm also looking for a soundcard/mixer that can record 4 channels, which I'm afraid is going to have to be included to my already limited microphone-budget.
So what I'm asking for is both gear recommendations and whether this is viable. I think I could possibly go with only three mics as well, with 1 overhead, 1 vocal and 1 for the kick.
Thank you for reading this, any help is much appreciated!

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

HotCanadianChick posted:

Get a couple Shure SM57s for the snares/overheads/vocals, and a halfway decent kick drum mic for the kick. a lotta famous recordings use SM57s for the drum mics, and you can pick them up for less than $100 USD easily (don't be afraid to buy them used, they pretty much never break).

Yeah if I ever get any sm57s it'll be used, found a dude who sells them for ~$60 so maybe I'll invest in a few of those :)

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Schlieren posted:

This will get you started for microphones. I have the upgraded kit with 57s and a 52, which worked really well. The quality of the product in the first link is undoubtedly cheaper in every sense, but since it's Shure, it's likely re-sellable to the point of your getting at least 50% of your money back.

Those skinny condensers will need phantom power, but will sound "nice" (icepick-y and sparkling highs) for vocals, so maybe get a cheap ~80£ Behringer 6-channel mixer, bounce it all down to a single output while tracking, for example, the drums, and shove that into some lovely stock soundcard that you likely already have.

This will teach you the significance of summing your entire project while tracking it, pre-amp sweet spot crap that likely doesn't matter at this level of gear or your level of experience, and a lot of other stuff that won't make a difference for the same reason, but at least it will definitely serve as an important introduction to these sorts of concepts.

For (more or less) zero latency, plug the output of your soundcard into an input on the mixer, and monitor everything - whatever you're recording, to whatever you're playing (be it a metronome, previously recorded tracks, &c.) - on headphones plugged into the mixer itself. This will teach you how properly to route tracks through a mixer, which is a skill anyone who wishes to be a "sound man" for a live venue (or an engineer in a music studio) must possess.

Looks like a nice little package there, I'll try and find a box that's used so that I can save up on some cash!
Maybe a mixer like this?
http://www.thomann.de/se/behringer_vmx_1000_usb.html
Friend of mine is selling it and he'll sell it for roughly €80, checked it out and it does seem nice with plenty of channels for recording drums, usually I only record with 2 oh and kick/snare plus a piezo microphone on the kick so essentially that should be just what I need.
Anyone used that behringer kit who can tell me if it is any good? any drawbacks?

Thank you both for the quick and informative answer, helps a lot!

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

ashgromnies posted:

Downside of the Mackie is that only the top of the line one supports individual hardware channels being represented in your computer; the others only let you record a mix down and sub sends.

The PreSonus StudioLive models all seem to support recording each track individually. It looks like the 16.0.2 is about $700 -- I'm not sure how it compares to the more expensive 16.4.2 yet.

Presonus got some really, really good mixer tables, we're using a 24 in the school I'm going to and it is so easy to use, and got some really good functions as well. )

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
Alright, I'm in the business for getting an upgrade in the soundcard department, I've got an M-Audio fast track right now that handles recording instruments fine (with the trs insert), it does however not work at all with the xlr insert, and that's with a dynamic microphone, I can't really record poo poo when I use a condenser microphone because when I crank that +48V it just peaks even when I have the gain controller on minimum.

I'm looking for (preferably) a soundcard with 4 inserts, that preferably can take both xlr and trs at the same time, but as long as it gets that 4 inserts for xlr and at least 1 trs insert I'm good. I'm thinking of spending $100-150, but if I can't get a good soundcard that can do the things I request then I'm willing to at least look into more expensive soundcards.

Anyone who can help me out? :smile: Ah yes another thing, it has to be USB, since I'm on a laptop and there's no firewire port.

Thanks for taking the time helping me out!

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Seventh Arrow posted:

Just out of morbid curiosity, did you flip the switch in back that enables phantom limb power?

Oh I just mean that I'm getting a lovely signal with both a dynamic microphone (without phantom) and condenser (with phantom, of course), I mean I get a signal but it always acts as if I have full gain, which I don't know if it is because of the m-audio being a lovely cheap soundcard or if I am doing something wrong with it :v.:

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

PopZeus posted:

I've been trying to get my electronic drum kit to play nice with MIDI to no avail so far. It's a Simmons SD5K brain and pads and I'm running it through an M-Audio Plus. Everything lights up, the programs I've tested (Garageband, Mixcraft, ProTools Express) all receive MIDI signals correctly, but it only registers one out of every five hits. The drums work perfectly fine non-MIDI, no dropped hits at all really.

Is this an issue with the drum brain? Audio interface? Crappy pads or something?

When you record the drums, do you have any fx plugins activated? It sounds to me that maybe you've got a too huge buffer size, try reducing it, and deactivate any fx plugins you use. :)

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

strangemusic posted:

To all home recordists, engineering-learners and so on: recent experiences in my own work have motivated me to offer everyone one piece of advice.

Strive, and I do mean strive hard, to keep your files, sessions and folders organized. Have one place where all your sessions go and keep it as clean and tidy as you would keep a shrine to your favourite deity. This is especially important if you foresee that anyone other than you might ever be required to do work with/on your sessions, but also helps in case you do a lot of takes or comps in terms of keeping the complete/relevant/good takes close at hand and identified as such.

I recently had pretty much almost all of my old recordings lost due to my computer just deciding to go mental, so I aim to do this now that I can sort of start on a new clean slate, and to keep it all on dropbox so I can prevent this from ever happening again.
So frustrating when all I got now is the songs (and those are only my most recent, got so many songs lost forever now) in a .wav or even .mp3, when I wanted to do remixes and fixes structure wise :(

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

strangemusic posted:

You may want a spare hard drive and Carbon Copy Cloner rather than Dropbox if file sizes get huge. It's easy as hell to make a duplicate of your audio drive/folders and just keep it somewhere safe. CCC has an option that makes absolutely sure that your Mirror/clone is identical to the parent (if you delete something from the parent it doesn't sit on the clone) rather than just archiving old things forever, it's quite handy.

I had a spare hard drive with most of my stuff, but it is corrupted so it doesn't really work anymore :( Carbon Copy Cloner sounds like a solid thing though, thanks for the tip mate :)

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
I'm curious, are there any microphones that has the same versatility as the Shure SM57 but is cheaper than that? I'm finally planning on building my own studio this summer and I'd love to have a setup that consists of stuff that you usually don't find at any other recording studio. :)

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
I'd love to give it a stab, free of charge :)

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

sursumdeorsum posted:

Well it certainly wouldn't hurt to have you try it out. Contact info?

You can mail me at greger88@hotmail.com and I'll shoot you a dropbox link where you can upload all the stems :)

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Seventh Arrow posted:

Hey recording dudes, I'm looking to record drums in the near future but I have a bunch of questions - hopefully not enough to overwhelm the thread. First of all, I have two of these drum mic packs. My interface is a USB Fast Track Ultra...it has four XLR connections on the front, and six 1/4" inputs in back:

In Cubase, one of these inputs seems to be taken up by "VSL," whatever that is:

So before I even think about mic placement or whatever, here are the main questions on my mind:

1. Is that enough inputs? I don't know what the VSL input is for, but if I exclude it for the sake of argument that means 5 inputs - I guess kick, snare, hi-hat, a few toms or cymbals and maybe a condenser mic to capture the room (I can use an AT4040 that I have)
  2. What about the SPDIF? From what I understand, the one connector would give me two channels to work with, but what do I hook up to it? It seems like I would need a preamp with an SPDIF out (I guess?)
  3. At Steve's music, one of the audio guys there was telling me that I would need a mixing board with direct outs to go to the six 1/4" inputs, but couldn't I just use the mics with XLR-to-1/4" adapters?
  4. Which mics would I need a stand for? I'm assuming I can't clamp a mic to a hi-hat stand (for example), since it's always moving
  5. In the below video, the guy seems to be saying that most of drum recording is done with mics at a distance...the close up mics are just to beef up the sound a bit. Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_DFEW1t_I0

That's it for now, thanks in advance for any answers.

1: I'd say A kick, snare, two overhead and if you really want to a hi-hat mic, personally I'd go with a mic set behind the drums, above the shoulder on the drummer since I think having one mic that way really brings the way the drums actually sound together well, extra boost not only on kick drum but gives a pretty good 'central' overhead tone to cymbals.
4: I think the kick and two overhead mics need stands, the toms and snare mics got clip-on it seems from that link of yours. :)
5: Essentially, two overhead mics are gonna cover the way the drum sounds good enough if you place them right, hell most of the drums recorded back "in the old days" were essentially just two overhead mics placed in such a way that they would really get the whole kit, I think putting mics on each separate drumpart is a rather new thing since they didn't have the luxury of gigantic mixerboards back then so they really had to make due with what they had.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Seventh Arrow posted:

Ok thanks, that helps. I think my desire to have a mic on every drum is just sort of OCD on my part. If I have three distance mics and three (four?) closeup mics, then it might be good enough. No harm in trying it out, at least.

I'm exactly like you, love being able to really flesh out each and every part of the drum, I'm a huge fan of panning things (and especially gateing things) so being able to mic up every part of a drum is just ace, having three distance mics and four closeup is gonna give you the possibility to mix the drums just the way you want it, show us a raw recording (no mixing done to the tracks beyond volume level) when you've done recorded the drums with those mics, seems like just the thing I want and knowing how it sounds beforehand would be awesome. :)

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
I've bought a new computer since the last one just can't take it anymore (random stops when mixing or recording, which is just really annoying) and first thing that happens when I start reaper is that I get another stupid problem:

Digital fluttering noises when recording/playbacking

At first I thought it was just buffer size being wonky, it doesn't change one bit however even if I have a huge buffer, or a very low buffer.

I'm currently sitting on a windows 8 computer, the soundcard I have is an M-Audio fast track, I've downloaded the latest ASIO drivers as well, and I use the latest version of Reaper.

Google doesn't give me any answers either, I'm not sure if it is because of me not using the search properly, or if this problem is related to something completely different than what I think it could be because of.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

snappo posted:

Slow external USB2 drives can be a bottleneck when recording or playing back more than a few tracks of hi rez audio at a time. Could that be the case here? Also, can you isolate if the skipping only occurs during playback, or do WAVs that you record in REAPER actually encode the skipping?

Try watching your Windows Resource Monitor while recording/playing and see if CPU, Disk or Memory spike.

Not sure if that could be the case, the fluttering only happens when I use ASIO4all in REAPER, the flutter happens when I play back a project with plenty of tracks and effects, there isn't any skipping and stuff like that encoded in the track itself.
The thing that bothers me the most is that I can use other audio systems (as in, not use ASIO4all) on the same computer with my M-AUDIO and not get any annoying fluttering or stuff like that, the only downside is that I get some pretty big latency issues when I do whereas when I used to use ASIO4all in the past there would be no latency.

I figure this might be something do with ASIO4all, but I can't for the life of me figure out exactly what it is :(

Edit : This has been solved, I just had to reinstall the drivers to M-Audio it seems :)
(I also reinstalled ASIO4all, seemed like there was some issue with x64 OS)

Greggster fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 30, 2014

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
Taking the ball of an SM58 makes it essentially an SM57, only difference being that the sm57 allegedly can capture down to 40hz whereas the sm58 can only go down to 50hz

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
Some driving drums could probably make it even better, I can definietly hear some mild percussion working as well, some bongos and maybe a cajun or something to keep a steady rhythm Maybe even tambourine and stuff like that? I just so happen to have some of those instruments so I'd love to give it a try adding percussive stuff to it. :)

Panning your harmonies could help create space, I think cutting back some of the higher frequencies (4khz and up) on the guitar could help clear out some space for the vocals, letting the guitars occupy the mid register (1,5-3,5khz) would let the bass lay down the groove as well. The guitars sound a bit harsh as they do right now with the distortion you have, is this something you've added after recording or are they clipping naturally? The guitar sounds ok when on not too high of a volume, but start to sound nasty the louder you play.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

sursumdeorsum posted:

Does anyone want to edit/mix/eq my Slipknot 'wait and bleed' vocal cover I recorded in audacity? I just want to see what a different set of ears can do.

I'm intrigued, I'd love to give it a stab. :)

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

sursumdeorsum posted:

Sweet! My email is dmw0714@yahoo.com if you want to contact me there, I don't see the option to message you here.

Sent you a mail now about it. :)

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
I got some M-audio av40 and beyond the bass I think they give me a neutral sound for me to listen to while I mix.
For keyboard, I'd go with one of these:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Keystation49es.html

I think they give a really good feedback when you push the keys, nothing fancy either so you won't get lost with a million functions to use (for good and for bad, I've only used it to lay chords and play melodies and take out melodies).

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
ezdrummer 2.0 is incredibly nice, here's a track I did where I tried to make a breakbeat in ezdrummer 2.0
https://soundcloud.com/skriket/ett-band-som-heter-ayatollah

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
One thing you could do is to have FL open at all times, it shouldn't tax too much on your computer if it is anywhere near decent and would provide almost endless possibility to just sit down, play something and just stop whenever you're bored.

I suppose one problem would be ASIO not allowing you to play any sounds while it is active, HOWEVER I just tried to play something in FL and I still were able to listen to some stuff on spotify so... Hopefully it wont be an issue? :)

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

CCrew posted:

I'm trying to make a last minute decision on a Christmas present for my fiancee. She sang in high school first in theater, with a bit of training from a voice coach, and has mentioned to me multiple times she wishes she could get more into music. We have a few friends who have some decent talent with a few different instruments, so I'm considering starter home recording packages. Since nobody has much experience recording any forms of music in the group, I'm trying to find a basic recording set. I found http://www.musiciansfriend.com/recording-packages/focusrite-scarlett-solo-studio-pack, and the advertisements make it look appealing (Seems easy to operate, USB interface, but I'm not sure about recording software currently). As somebody with pretty much no experience here and mostly reading the OP and doing some basic research online, does anyone have suggestions for me?

I've only heard good stuff about Focusrite (and I've got a few friends who use similar interfaces), can't say a lot about the mic but I would assume it is a decent enough one for a starter, she can always get a microphone that suits her voice better in the future. I'd say go for it, thats a very nice present for sure :)

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

chippy posted:

Anyone got any tips for recording beatboxing? Been getting pretty ok results with an SM58 and light compression but I'm just wondering if anyone's got any game-changers.

I could imagine a condensator microphone at a slight distance with a pop filter could work well

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

chippy posted:

Hmmm, really? I didn't even think of trying a condenser, I figured it'd be too sensitive what will all the plosives and everything. Maybe Ill give one of my condensers a try,

e: Although come to think of it, Reeps One always seems to use some sort of condenser, even live, and he sounds incredible. I think he's probably the only beatboxer I've ever seen do that though.

The splosives are only a problem if you're not putting a distance between the microphone and doing what you can to minimize the amount of air pushed at the microphone :)

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
The MXL990 only costs about $100 and works flawlessly for me for recording speech (and a boatload of other things as well), I've only got good things to say about that microphone.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Koivunen posted:

I have a super basic set up, just a mic and keyboard connected to my computer with USB cords, and I use Avid Vocal Studio. For the song I'm currently working on, I've got all my instrument tracks done, but when I go to record my vocals on an audio track, there's a horrible static noise in the background. I have sound foam on my wall, I have played around with the gain and shelf, I've put the mic far away from my computer, and there is still lots of background static noise no matter what I do. This has happened before, it has never been completely fixed, but it seems louder than usual. Any suggestions?

Try a noisegate, it could help a bit with the static noise.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

mclast posted:

This is probably not best practice* but, my method is to copy a raw track 4 or 5 times, use the EQ to isolate bands, compress each band independently, and then mix levels of those using the volume sliders. This is fairly painless in Logic, and you can then put the copies in a folder and treat that folder like a single track.

*almost certainly not best practice

edit: Also i want to throw this somewhere, cause I've seen a lot of people asking about guitar direct-in on their interfaces; I have had much, MUCH better results plugging into an amp, and then using headphone or line out on the amp, into an interface than I have going direct. For those going micless.

Tbh, if it works for you and it gives you the sound you desire and it sounds good to everybody else it is the best practice. Sure you could probably cut down the amount of work you put into it with a multiband compressor and surgical cutting with an EQ, but like you said, if it works for your workflow there's really no need for you to change it.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

How easy is it in EZ Drummer 2 to create your own "stock" loops? Or should I just look into getting Cubase because I saw some videos from Misha Mansoor where he used that and it looked easy as hell to create some decently human sounding drums.

I think it's incredibly easy to create stock loops in EzDrummer 2, I started using it a couple of months ago and I think I managed to make the drums sound pretty human (a few tracks below where I used it, you can check em out to see how they sound there)

https://soundcloud.com/skriket/grav-djupare
https://soundcloud.com/skriket/pendeln-svingar
https://soundcloud.com/skriket/dansa-som-om-ingen-ser
https://soundcloud.com/skriket/blackest-magic

Some things I haven't yet mastered however is quick snare rolls, anything faster than 8ths and I feel like they sound a bit too robot. I think there's some humanizer (switching timing with a ms here and there on hits, and adds a minor variation on velocity) but I have yet to find it.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

Sorry to double post but I'd like some suggestions on mixing and a bit on mastering. I realise that the way to get the best results is to send it to a pro but I'm trying my hand at getting decent results myself.

I spent today recording a couple bit and looped them to make a demo song, purely to see what I could get from my setup.

This is the raw guitar from the mic: https://soundcloud.com/syntaxfunction/tabs-raw
This is what I've done with it so far: https://soundcloud.com/syntaxfunction/tabs

I've not mixed for volume although it is sitting fairly high. Realistically I'll mix it down while getting it balanced so I can just boost it in the mastering phase.

My chain is a G&L Ascari -> Shure PG57 -> Lexicon Alpha interface -> Reaper. I have four tracks of guitar, two (One left, one right) using the bridge, two with the neck. The mic height is in the middle with it slightly off the cone, straight ahead. The bass is DI.

For the mixed version I had the bass into a compressor and then into Amplitube's default bass model. EQ'd for a HP at 30Hz, LP at 20k and a scoop of -4.8db at 560Hz.
Drums are the stock Kontakt model. It hits a limiter to smooth out the spikes and has a touch of reverb but otherwise default settings.
First guitars (Bridge) are bumped down 2db at 4500Hz and boosted 2db at 250Hz. Compressor before the EQ to smooth any spikes mildly (2.0 ratio) but otherwise left plain. Neck are the same but with the 4500Hz bump changed to -5db at 7000Hz.

Everything else is pretty much as the input came. Can I get some feedback on the mixing and general sound, please? Any advice, critiques and tips are welcome. Thanks.

I'm sure you could do the HP at even 100hz without noticing a big difference in the sound of the guitar. The bass and kick&toms will get a bit more space in the mix as well.
I think with the various instruments you're using you could probably cut a lot of frequencies on the guitar below the 1khz mark, that way you can boost the "core" (whichever note the toms are tuned to) frequencies of the toms to make them far more audible.

Another thing I think you could start thinking about is where every instrument should fit. Right now it's a lot of guitar and a low murky bass that occupies the song. Work with some neat EQing on the various parts of the drums and instead of just boosting the frequency you like you should cut it from the guitar.

As a general tips, I would say that cutting frequencies is always prefered to boosting. A forum thread that helped me a LOT when I was new to the whole mixing business is this:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=29283

Other than that, I have to say I really enjoy listening to this! It's exactly the type of stuff I recorded (and it sounded pretty much like your recording) so it brings back a lot of memories :)

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Disco De Soto posted:

I'm almost done with some new recording, and i'm thinking of hiring a producer to mix and polish everything up. Do you guys have any tips on where to find a decent producer online? Is anyone here available? My music is fairly simple rock.

I've heard there are websites where producers can be contracted out. Are they worth it? Any sites you would recommend?

I could give it a stab, hook me up with a multitrack to any track of yours and I can see what I can do with it and if you dig it we can talk more about it.
astrom.georg
at gmail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
I think one of the most important things I've learned, is that everything starts with the source material. lovely source material is only going to sound just like that ; Like poo poo.

Something that helped me immensly too, when starting out was this forum thread; http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=29283