Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finx
Jan 8, 2001

by Lowtax

olaf2022 posted:

My friend and I want to get into recording on his PC. We've recorded albums before, but it was at someone else's (analog) studio, so we really don't know a whole lot of what to buy to do it ourselves on a PC. We have all the music equipment and mics we'd need but we're unsure about the recording hardware.

We want something to let us record probably 8 or more separate tracks (I'm not sure if that's limited to hardware or software). Cost isn't much of an issue, so we're wondering if we should go with one of these $2200 Digidesign Pro Tools setups, or if that's overkill and we should use something simple like a regular sound card with a breakout box and different software or what. Versatility and quality is important, but it should hopefully be something that isn't TOO difficult to learn to use either. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Almost any DAW will let you run more than 8 tracks. If you need 8 channels simultaneously (when recording) and just want something that sounds good, a Presonus Firepod would work just fine. It's cheap, reliable, easy to use and it sounds completely acceptable. If you want something that you can expand and build on later, or need added features like ADAT, go with the more expensive stuff. Otherwise, I think $2200 is overkill, especially for your first interface. Unless you're doing something under the right acoustic conditions and record everything professionally your bottleneck will not be your interface and those better preamps and converters really won't matter much. What I think a lot of people fail to realize (and I'm not accusing you of this) is how much of the "quality" they hear depends on proper miking and room conditions. All the other high-dollar stuff comes later.

You probably already know this, but The Digi002 stuff will come with Pro Tools, so you wouldn't have to buy the software, but you will only have 4 mic channels available without buying additional preamps. I can seriously see this being a good deal, though, if you want a control surface so that you don't have to do everything with a mouse.

I think it's a good idea to start with something cheaper and get comfortable with your software -- then upgrade if you feel like you need to. Don't buy any PCI sound cards like this though -- those are basically all crap -- just get a decent interface priced at $500-700 and it will probably serve you well for a long time.

RivensBitch posted:

At least I'm an outright, unashamed rear end who is capable of spouting usefull and relevant poo poo when prompted correctly. Posting baseless "I guess, personally" opinions in a technical thread simply paints you as a useless, incontinent rear end that occasionally likes to dribble runny, watery poo poo on what otherwise could be solid, plump and useful conversation.
Why don't we just give you your own drat forum where you can go and forni have some solid, plump and useful conversation with yourself?
:unsmith:

Finx fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 21, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU