Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

JamesKPolk posted:

Are you sure it does 8 channels? The Scarlett I tried to use it on could only take a stereo signal over the coax. It does do stereo over a single line, though - the algorithm lets it send left and right channels in 1 signal (en/decoded at either end).

The way it worked with a 18i6 and a MOTU 828 was that I could sum the signals on the 828 into one stereo out that I then assigned to the S/PDIF out, but I had to actually set that up in the 828 settings
It's entirely like you say, but the 18i20 can do 8 channels over the toslink ports labeled optical on the device using the ADAT protocol. These ports can alternatively also be configured to do 2 channel s/pdif instead. The coax ports labeled s/pdif can only ever do 2 channels. It's a bit confusing in that in home audio the terms toslink and s/pdif sometimes are used interchangeably. What you can route to those 2 channels is indeed going to depend on what the software on the sending device allows you to configure. On my Roland quad capture it's just another pair of outputs exposed to the DAW, there's no possibility for routing or mixing things through the driver, like your 828 could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

You're not supposed to do that at all, because of all the downsides you are experiencing, even with a cable that's wired up 'correctly'. If you want to mix two signals properly you need a mixer.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Does that rca to 1/4 inch cable end in a single stereo trs jack? Are you plugging that into a 1/4 inch input that expects trs jacks to carry a balanced mono signal?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Well it's not that then

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Hubs don't do anything wrt latency as far as my experience goes. The shittiest thing about hubs is that they get flaky if you plug in too many things that are USB powered. The hub having it's own power brick can help with that.

In a PC I'd consider a four port card perhaps, if you have the space for it. Sometimes motherboards have extra headers that just need a cheap bracket. That's imo the no bullshit option.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Valhalla SuperMassive for modern type
Voxengo OldSkoolVerb for what it says

Though crackle can mean you need to increase audio driver buffer size.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

You can always real time record to minidisc, often through an optical cable for optimal quality. The old recorders that don't do usb or long play might be cheaper anyway, not sure. Optical out pci card for a pc should be cheap also. Depends what your time is worth, especially if you want to add titles and everything.

Though if I remember this video right, you can do net md through a website or something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC-8IGkdDxw

Basically just watch all techmoan and this does not compute about md to get up to speed.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Yeah I haven't done anything with md myself in a good 20 years, so I couldn't recommend you anything if it's not in those videos. It just seemed relevant that there happens to be a multiplatform solution for the software side, since you were mentioning what computers you have access to.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Some splitter doodad (ABY pedal?) could have you recording the di signal and have it go to the amp simultaneously, I think. You could then re-amp it (ie. send it back out of the computer through the mic'd up amp) later and/or tart it up with software. Re-amping is like having your cake and eating it, you record the collective performance, but can then mic it up as if each did their playing separately in time. I think re-amping requires another thingymajig to adjust impedance from your interface out to the amp.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Asio4all is a software layer on top of the WDM driver mode to let you access that if your DAW only offers ASIO driver mode for low latency. If it works, that means you'd have been off just as well if not better with just picking WDM in your DAW if it allows that. Notes come out on the off beat is MME driver mode levels of terrible, so it tracks that that is what you've been using instead of WDM.

The only other use for asio4all is if you want to aggregate multiple audio interfaces, like onboard audio and usb headphones, usb mics. This is to say, it helps you cope if you bought an assortment of wrong things at the cost of some latency.

If you're considering buying an audio interface with a proper mic input that in all likelihood comes with a proper asio driver anyway and have headphones you can plug into that, I do recommend that as the superior experience.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I'm going to suggest the 4i4 instead. It has din midi ports, so you can control from and keep the electribe in sync with your project on the computer. It has extra line inputs on the back, so you can keep the electribe plugged in in stereo. It looks like both or either of the preamps on the front can be switched to hi-z (direct in guitar/bass) mode, for any (2) combo of guitar/bass and/or microphone. It's likely you can instruct Waveform to output in mono to use with your single monitor speaker and then switch that back off when using headphones.

The Behringer u-phoria umc404hd offers pretty much the same features and isn't bad either, from what I've heard.

You can look for these second hand, though I'd avoid gen 1 Scarletts.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Interested in a description of the signal path between the bass and the computer, what audio interface in particular. Also a screenshot of Ableton Live's Preferences > Audio settings.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

!Klams posted:

Going from the bass via a standard jack into a Scarlett 4i4 (3rd gen). Sorry I'm not near my rig right now but I'll take a ss of the settings when I can. It's gonna be something mad stupid, I bet.
What I want to know mostly is if you're on Windows, whether you installed the asio driver for the Scarlett and if you explicitly configured Live to use it. Maybe you're familiar with all that and you know you did and in that case the problem isn't what I think it is.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I think keeping the score pretty and human readable and turning the same project into something that sounds like it is played by humans are incompatible goals. You can prettify it with better samples and mess with the dynamics and other parameters that aren't reflected in the score view to get you halfway there, probably. Then you'll bump into the performance still sounding mechanical, because to make the score look good, the human timing element had to be kept out of it.

It's easier (though still al lot of work) to automatically quantize a human played performance and to manually take out the errors that produces, so everything sits on the grid perfectly for your score, than it is to humanize a perfect score in a convincing, cohesive, non random way.

Equally, if your main goal is a good sounding audio track, many people will let their arrangement and performance fluidly interact with the specific sound they choose. Strings 1 may be a bit more stabby than strings 2, which might have a longer attack or tail, which will directly feed back into what is played when exactly. One orchestral ensemble sound may be dark, while another sounds better with an extra cello under it or whatever.

Again, much more difficult to undo starting out without that information in mind, than it is to incorporate it on the spot with live feedback of the result.

Wherever you go in finding a workflow that works for you, I think you're better off thinking of making the score and making a beautiful sounding audio track as two separate projects that won't necessarily work based off the same data entry process.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Reaper doesn't have a general wavetable thing as far as I know. Windows does, and its output isn't routed through the asio driver like the output of a vst. It's the Microsoft GS Wavetable synth that is late by that amount.

At least, I think that's what's going on.

Some sort of soundfont vst will let you use general midi style sounds within reaper that are in time with the rest of the vsts.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Leaning forward all the time can be a sign of worsening eyesight. I guess you can fiddle with scaling options on your OS some.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

- What's the most efficient way to add dynamics to tracks? There are moments where I want to pull back on reverb, or let another part come through more, but I don't want to create a whole other track just for that part. Basically, how can I contour EQ and Reverb for certain sections?
In the sense that you're talking about right here, the answer is automation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXKDqm8z64M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

It does sound a lot like the ORCH5 sample of the Fairlight, which itself apparently is sampled from Stravinsky's Firebird Suite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmRU6cJeVDs

Now, if you had the score for that, you'd have the chord, but you would still need to figure out an offset.