Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrWr0ng
Feb 12, 2001

by Lowtax
I'm running OS X 10.4.8 and I upgraded to ProTools 7 a while ago - it started crashing the other night, and going to Digidesigns website it said the current version was 7.3.1 but I could only find a link to go from 7.0 to 7.1 (which I did). Is there another one I need to update to? It's working fine right now, but while I'm updating, I'd like to be fully caught up. It's a powerbook G4.

Also, does Reason Adapted not let you add new effects on the rack? Whenever I open a new instance, it's always the same effects on the rack - I'm guessing because it's Adapted, but I'm just too poor to flesh out for the whole 9 yards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrWr0ng
Feb 12, 2001

by Lowtax
Is there a reason to upgrade? It's working fine for right now, so I'm not sure what the reasoning is.

Do I get any other updates? I'm still using sampletank 1 and reason 2.5 :(

mrWr0ng
Feb 12, 2001

by Lowtax
So I've started to get comfortable in protools. I composed a 17 track album in Garageband and I've got 14 of the songs re-composed in MIDI (using reason) in protools, the other 3 to come this week, then I'll start to lay down real instruments.

However, I'm sort of curious - aside from actually buying the full version of reason (I am currently broke as a joke and spending all my $$$ on film equipment), are there any free plugins for protools that will give me more samples and synths to play with? Some of the stuff I want to have a definite electronic feel while others I want to have real instruments, some a mixture of both.

I'm absolutely terrible with Subtractor right now as well - trying to learn, it seems like it could be pretty powerful cos there's a lot of knobs on it, but is there some place where I can learn more about what to do with the existing stuff I have now to give me more sounds?

mrWr0ng
Feb 12, 2001

by Lowtax
Can anyone tell me how I would be able to make some big, thumpy, boomy bass drum hits like in hiphop & dance? I'm using protools w/ reason 2.5 adapted. Would it be entirely in getting new, additional samples? Or is there a way to set it up with what I currently have?

OK i asked one of my sound engineer friends from expressions told me that in order to get me the hiphop phat bass drum sound, I should use an actual kick drum, send it through the gate of an oscillator set to a 40hz sound to replicate an 808 sound. Can I do that with reason? Can subtractor do that?

mrWr0ng fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 27, 2007

mrWr0ng
Feb 12, 2001

by Lowtax
Thanks you guys for the tips, that makes total sense. Following in that logic, would it be possible for me to hook my bass up and use that to control the gate? Ie instead of laying down a track of kick drums and sending that to the gate for the 808 replica, I can use the bass and sustain all the notes for the long, thumping hits?

mrWr0ng
Feb 12, 2001

by Lowtax
I meant using the bass to control the gate. Like when I hear songs with a bass drum hit that carries for a whole bar, if I play my bass and make a track that has a sustained note for one whole bar, then shorter notes and use that to control the opening and closing of the gate, would that work? I haven't tried any of this stuff yet, I'm gonna mess around when I get home, I'm just theorising. I have no idea if that's even worth it, but my actual bass drum is at my parents' house and while I'm planning on picking up my whole set, I don't think using an actual kick to trigger the gate is gonna give me that long, sustained bass drum hit. But I don't know, I haven't tried yet. I'm excited, though!

mrWr0ng
Feb 12, 2001

by Lowtax
Is the music playing out of the speakers? If so, use headphones and then record.

Otherwise I'm not understanding.

Wixard, thanks, I'll try that. I'll give it a shot when I get home tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrWr0ng
Feb 12, 2001

by Lowtax
Right on it worked! I'm gonna go ahead and work this out and get some new sounds. I didn't know I could do that just w/ Protools. Rad.