Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

What's your budget? You mentioned a couple weeks of studio time plus session musicians... You could probably do that, but would probably want to hire a mix engineer too. And while I don't have a good sense of exact costs of all that, I'm fairly sure you're talking thousands of dollars at least.

People are suggesting free software, but you might want to look into taking a course in home recording (or at least looking into what that would cost) and then think about paying for high-priced VSTs, or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Paperhouse posted:

Take a look at Spitfire Labs, they have a bunch of sample based instrument VSTs that are pretty good quality and free.

Yep especially their free orchestra plugin: https://www.spitfireaudio.com/bbc-symphony-orchestra-discover#walkthrough

(It's missing some techniques, and I don't think it has many solo instruments, but it's a good way to get started...

Edit: Also, if book learning is your style, there are some books specifically about how to do orchestral-style music in a DAW, one called " The Guide to Midi Orchestration" and the other "Acoustic and MIDI Orchestration for the Contemporary Composer". Alternately, look for YouTube tutorials on MIDI orchestration. This guy's channel is pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/@ThinkSpaceEducation Slightly more focused on composition, which it sounds like you don't need much help with, but his whole thing is how to make film scores in a DAW, so there are a lot of videos reviewing different orchestral libraries, and showing how to make them sound good.

I'd recommend going through one of those books and/or a bunch of videos, then once you have a sense of what you need to learn more in depth, you can start thinking about paid courses and the like.

Oh, and I don't think anyone mentioned your computer: a 2021 machine should be more than up to the task. If you find yourself bumping into RAM or CPU limits after getting into super-complex (and expensive) orchestral libraries, then that would be the time to think about upgrading. But you have a long way to go before then.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 29, 2024

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Which is to say, Exquisite Tea, don't be discouraged! DAWs are awesome tools, and it's likely you can find a workflow that "clicks" for you. In terms of making MIDI that you need notated sound good, there are lots of tricks, like what was posted up-thread. You can play with volume and note length, but you can also use automation curves, or if you're using synths, you can play with the VCA envelope, or if using fancy orchestral libraries, you can play with articulations, round robin, etc. In my last post I linked some books and a YouTube channel that are full of teaching about how to do this.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I've been trying to do a little bit of this in Reaper and have a few followup questions.

1) Is it normal that I have to offset all of my VSTs by about ~180ms in order to get them to map correctly to the MIDI tracks? Otherwise they all come in about half a beat too early.
2) How did you find a drumpad that maps correctly to MIDI? All of the ones I've been trying don't seem to line up, and I'm not sure how I can edit those mappings in Reaper, if that's at all possible.

1) Relative to what? Each other? Live playing? Could possibly be audio latency, eg not using ASIO if you're on Windows.

What type of instruments? Could just be that some have a long attack, so you'd need to start the note earlier for it to feel in time.

2) I'm guessing what you're trying to do is to take your MIDI drum tracks, written for the general MIDI drum mappings, and drive a drum VST. It sounds like you're saying that you can get MIDI signal into the VST, but the note mappings are different. Usually you can set MIDI mappings inside the VST, and most should have a setting for general MIDI.

This is assuming you actually have the midi routing working right...

What drum VST are you using?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah that would be my guess -- it's actually running the Microsoft GS Wavetable via WASAPI or something, which is super laggy. As Flipperwald said, while you're trying to use it as a reference, you'd be better off finding a soundfont player VST in Reaper, loading it with a General MIDI soundfont, and routing your MIDI to that. Maybe something like sfizz with a soundfont like this? Note that this isn't going to get you to recording-grade sound, but it will get you an equivalent of the Windows wavetable to work with.

Re: 2, your best bet for editing drum MIDI in Reaper is going to be the "named notes" mode, rather than musical notation. The drums you've written so far have most likely been for the General MIDI mappings, which you can find various places, eg here. It sounds like you can set Addictive Drums to use the GM mappings -- search around for some how-tos on that. That would likely be the quickest way to get it sounding right, but you still might need to fiddle, since not every kit will exactly correspond to what's imagined in the GM.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

You can get fairly decent spring-loaded boom arms on Amazon for less than $50. They have a clamp mount so you don't need extra hardware, and the arm makes it very easy to adjust the mic into basically any position.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

The thing with standing desks is that you don't want to be standing for super long stretches either. So it's best if you can get a sit/stand desk so you can change positions every hour or so.

For chairs, there used to be a thread on SH/SC, but I can't find it anymore. General advice is to get a Herman Miller. Buy used if you can't afford new. Yes it's expensive. Yes it's worth it.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"In the same room quality" can come from putting a light room reverb on your master bus (or at least on most of your tracks / set a hard high pass filter so you're not making echoey bass.)

If you're putting reverb on individual tracks it's going to sound like they're in different spaces.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

LUFS maximization, same as compressing the poo poo out of most things?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

What is Reaper? I've seen it mentioned in this thread but haven't ever used it myself. Is it good for identifying notes and chords and things in a track, or is it more for original composition?

It's a DAW, so more for mixing and arranging audio, hosting virtual instruments and effects, etc.

It supports midi tracks, which you can view in notation mode, and it can host a wide range of VSTs, some of which may be helpful for transcription. But it sounds like it would be way more software than you really need for what you're trying to do.

People talk about it a lot because it's very cheap (can be free - you can run it in evaluation mode indefinitely, and all you get is a little 5 second nag prompt at startup). It's also very full-featured as a DAW, if not always in the cleanest interface.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Yep output it as a wav file that your friend can load up. The wav file is called a "stem", and the process is often called "bouncing" or "freezing".

In Reaper you'd do Render/Freeze Tracks > Render tracks to stereo stem tracks. That will make a new track in your project that is just the new wav file. So you can mute the original midi track with Easy Drummer 3 and only play the stem track. You could then pass the whole project to your friend (maybe make a copy and remove the midi track first, but it shouldn't matter -- it'll just complain about missing vsts but shouldn't cause issues).

Or you can go into the project folder and dig out the wav. Or there should be an option somewhere to save the wav file explicitly.

Edit: For drums you *probably* want to keep them as separate tracks per drum, so you can fiddle with the EQ/mixing/stereo placement later. I'm not familiar with Easy Drummer 3 specifically, but it should have an option to output the individual drums separately. I suspect Reaper, when rendering, will be smart enough to create separate tracks for them. Alternately you can route each output to a separate audio track in Reaper and render each of those.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 9, 2024

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

!Klams posted:

So, I think I've hosed something up, because I just have massive delay. That's all it is, there's a huge delay between me playing something and ableton picking it up through my scarlet. I'll get all my specs together tomorrow, but, it's a pretty powerful razer gaming laptop and a scarlet interface, I'd have thought it 'shouldnt' have big delay, but I can't seem to find a good sweet spot for buffer size etc. That works.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207546105-How-to-install-Focusrite-drivers-on-Windows

quote:

If you're using recording software then make sure you select the Focusrite ASIO driver in the audio settings for that software.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013509640-What-do-the-terms-ASIO-and-WDM-mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

I feel like there's also accessibility. The advent of the bedroom producer was a pretty major development, and that came from the N-1 generation tech becoming available very cheaply in software form.

I don't think I have any literature for you, but you should probably trawl around for some deadmau5 quotes.