Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
so ive been able to hack together some decent recordings with my Presonus Audiobox, the little Left-Right two channel guy. I've been Micing my amps, direct in too, and some vocals through my guitar pedal board. it's all been okay, but just okay.

this Audiobox really can't be depended on as a preamp, right? i'm finding the whole "gain staging" part of recording is really weird with my simple setup. not sure if its just me.

any recommendations for the next step up for a digital mixer? it makes me kinda sad to buy hardware that mothballs my Audiobox but w/e

part of me just wants to get a cheapo analog mixer with stereo out, plug that into the audiobox, idk. im trying to put together a somewhat mobile recording setup, because im starting to work as a soundguy

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
if I want to speed up my rock song about 10bpm, should I do that before mastering?

edit: agh, let me try harder and re-ask - probably aiming for 5-7bpm increase, no pitch change. at what point in the process (other than recording it right) would this be best? put my individual tracks less processing back through Presonus as new .WAVS and then just use the DAW's increase tempo tool?

this is just a driving, suffragette city-inspired rocker, so i do believe i have some threshold for minor artifacting. its a gritty bitch.

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 19, 2023

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I basically went with #4 and it was fine.

so i guess to contribute to this thread -

I started home recording an album about two years ago, while working full-time doing AV work and some live event production. I had a great mentor in that line of work and I began to hone my skills of capturing things correctly at the source, maintaining headroom, etc. I got to mix rappers, jazz bands, and a pretty wide variety of things on that stage, though it was a ton of panel discussions/talk show style poo poo.

My album uses drum machines when needed on a few songs, and then is typically vocals, guitar, bass & 1-2 support instruments.

I recorded all the tracks and roughly mixed as I went using a few different setups to check my work, but still the environment and whatnot wasn't ideal, and I'm a noob.

What i have found is in terms of volume and dynamics, I did a good job tracking this album and like, loudness and levels are very workable!

but the EQ side of things has left a lot to desire, and I'm coming up on some compromises that sometimes are disappointing.

One thing I'm trying to figure out constantly is how to keep the bass prominent as I like it, without getting in the way of my bass-baritone voice.

Also I am attempting to take this all the way and do the mastering as well, just good enough to get it out there. I am using Ozone - been running it's AI-driven auto-master to kind of observe what it does and then making my own choices from there.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
oh yeah spectrograms have been deployed! just tried that compressor thing on a song with punchier vox and i think i liked it

looking back, I answered "too middy" with adding bass and treble frequencies, got something too scooped. so then I took another run at it and it was too tinny.

i try to "reset' and be purposeful without overworking/over processing my poo poo. i'm taking a third stab at mixing the album today and my "accounting" of frequencies has just gotten better i think, i'm so loving close

the other pain in the rear end was my 12-string acoustic - micing it and now finding an ideal place for it in the mix. basically mid-scooping has seemed to be the trick

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

duck monster posted:

I'm *really* enjoying Eventides split eq right now that lets you have separate EQ for transients and body. You find the 'click' of the bass (Its higher than you think) and just boost that for the transient, and it just sounds like the whole bass is cleaner in the mix.

Sidechaining compression with the kick drum and the bass can do a lot for clearing up mud in the low end too from my experience.

aaghhh 180 bucks i should just point my mics better lol

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Mister Speaker posted:

Thanks for the reply. I know the delivery stuff is well important, but what I'm getting at is that there are absolutely compression styles that a lot of radio DJs and MCs use that help them sound the way they do, the examples I used being Sam Seder and Howard Stern. You can hear their compressor working and it's not unpleasant. I know roughly that these are some pretty aggressive settings but I'm not sure if there's a specific hardware emulation plugin I should look at to get that kind of flattening.

Also I'm not at home right now but I'm 90% sure it's not the plugins incurring latency in OBS. I think it was still a sizeable delay without any plugin chain running. It's enough that I'm having trouble nailing down gate/EQ/comp settings because I'm hearing myself like an echo. Like I said I think the best course of action is to go into Ableton and run the same intended effect chain, dial it in then save in the VSTs and reload in OBS.

im still very green with this stuff but, whatever compressor you have that Ableton comes with should get you there

high compressor ratio and then crank that "Make-Up" knob like 10db. i think the attack and release should both be rather quick

in Presonus Studio One the "Speech" preset on the compressor has like a 20:1 ratio and cranks the makeup, i've always liked the punchy Stern-esque sound of my baritone through that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
whats up with compressing the poo poo out of drums