Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I just got a shiny new KORG Wavestate, and it kind of sucks that the usb midi connection is not talking to my computer, apparently this is an issue that KORG is aware of but hasn't rolled out a fix for. Not a dealbreaker, since I can just use audio cables and still get the Wavestate output into Reason. Has this been a issue for KORG gear?
Ps: The Wavestate is pretty great, they keyboard is incredibly nice to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Ok Comboomer posted:

KORG is pretty good about doing right by their customers, I’m sure a fix will be rolled out in time. Maybe just stay in contact with their customer service people.

Oh Im an old crusty former radio production person, I'll be routing everything through a mixing board so its not a big deal.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

ricecult posted:

New Korg synths are pretty awesome.
Did you download the Korg drivers? I think there's a specific separate MIDI driver, and different models I think sometimes have their own drivers.

Eh its fine apparently the Wavestate only uses the USB midi for controller things and some library stuff which I dont really need anyway.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Oh dang that is really nice lookin, my current computer desk is a decent corner unit so I have one half open for gear but I wasnt expecting the Wavestate to be so honkin big. Gonna have to get some kind of rack situation sorted eventually.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I learned mixing while I did production for my Universitys radio station and while on the job, so lemmie tell ya how much I love badly mixed podcasts.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Sooo I just got a Behringer Xenyx 1204 USB mixer to route all my lovely studio gear through, but anything passing through the pc is picking up some annoying line noise from the video card, Would an external sound card solve this problem as my SB Audigy FX has been honestly pretty garbage at it?
Like I have the KORG Wavestate patched directly into the board via cables, but when I use Reason Im still getting line noise.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Yeah I was thinking the Focusrite Scarlett actually, sounds good thanks!

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
So I found the simplest solution to the RF noise problem I was having, just use the usb port on the mixer. Bam, no more noise.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Theres mixers specifically designed for livestreaming/podcasting.
Check these guys, they might have what you're looking for.
TC-Helicon

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

I just discovered that when you record on the Tascam DP-24SD 24-Track Digital Portastudio and download the tracks to work on them on your laptop instead of doing mixdown in the machine that it appears to save every take you make so you can go back, download them and revisit parts any other machine would have recorded over.

Oh dang thats really nice, would you recommend a portastudio over a laptop? Ive drooled over portastudios for like 20 years now, but lappys feel like they have way more utility.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Cool Ill keep that in mind.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Yeah thats kind of my main anxiety when I use DAWs, I have to basically just plow in and try to finish as fast as posssible. Like I know it takes me about 30min to finish a 4 minute song if I want to be a sassy showoff.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
So I messed around with the Tascam portastudio, and Im amused how close it is to my old radio production workflow. Works pretty good, just need a SD card reader for my desktop.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Welp Im having a real pisser of an issue and if anyone knows how to fix this Id be very happy. I have a drum machine, Korg Wavestate, and MicroFreak all going into a Xenyx mixer and from there into my sound card. When I open FL Studio or Reason and it switches AISO on, it suddenly is picking up and amplifying the voltage noises from my display adapter. So how do I fix this?
I do have a harware workaround with the Tascam portastudio, but I would dearly love to be able to record to the pc. Any ideas?

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
So I figured out my recording issues, I plugged the Xenyx usb cable in and the signals from my hardware is getting to the DAW so yey. Im still getting some mild static noise through AISO picking up the either the display adapter or the mouse itself, but the music I do is very distorted so ehhhhhh?

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I use a Behringer Xenyx plugged into a usb port on my desktop and it works fine, you might have to grab an AISO app to make it work like I did.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Mackie Onyx mixers are nice but hella overpriced now, I have a decent Behringer 12 channel that has a USB out that works super nice.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
It's me, the former pro radio dude who didn't know how to use compression until *this year*, go me.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
My songs end up being in the mb range, Im actually impressed you managed to do that.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
You really want a sturdier stand unless you fancy having that gear eat poo poo on the floor eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Vulture Culture posted:

As I imagined and feared. What's a good middle ground between this and a $700 Manfrotto Super Boom? I don't trust vendor weight ratings, but my gut says "keyed to attach a sandbag to the other end" is probably a decent marker of its intended duty

I was thinking like those heavy base stands we used to use at my Uni back in my college radio days.
Something like this?
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KM26145--k-and-m-26145-microphone-stand-heavy-duty-with-adjustable-boom