Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ok I would very much appreciate a critique on my plans as I am shifting everything around.

My old setup:

2 keyboards (Korg Trinity and Korg Triton) run directly into 3 year old desktop computer (no idea what kind of soundcard, whatever Dells came with 3 years ago) and recorded in Adobe Audition

Guitar and bass played through small bass amp (Crate), mic'd with an SM57, and run into the Triton so I could use the Triton's effects, then into Audition.

Some beats made in Fruityloops, most played on the Korgs, everything else played on the Korgs or string instruments and recorded in Audition, where everything was arranged, mixed, and "mastered".

My current setup

Samples (found sound) recorded with mAudio Microtrack, cut up and put onto an MPC2500 or in some cases made into ambient loops that go directly into Ableton Live

Additional samples (other peoples' music) cut up and put onto MPC2500 or in some cases made into loops that go directly into Ableton Live

Music performed on MPC2500 and recorded in Audacity, modified if necessary, then put into Ableton Live.

Everything arranged and formed into "songs" in Ableton Live.

All of this taking place on an IBM(Lenovo) laptop with some generic soundcard, and only a mic input.

The future?

I'd like to reintigrate my keyboards as I miss playing them and piano/electric piano instruments are a big part of what I do. I still want to have guitar and bass involved to.

However, I don't like recording directly into Ableton as there seems to be lag issues I can't sort out. With the MPC I've been recording into Audacity (cause its free and I just needed something quick to record poo poo in) but I find this program irritating. However I'm hesistant about going back to Audition, I've been using the program for many years, ever since Cooledit was a crappy little shareware program in the late 90's, but I think it's time to move on to something else. So I definitely need a suggestion here for a good .wav recording and editing program.

I have a decent Eurorack mixer, so I can get the MPC, both keyboards, and the mic running into that (though I also want to have guitar going through the Triton because of some special effects for it I've made) but the trouble is going into the laptop, which just has a mic input and there is often lag problems. This is something I also need help with.

Would you recommend an external soundcard of some sort? What about using USB?

Also, I've been making electronic music for about 5 years now and I've still never really used MIDI :o:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Anyone have any good tips on reducing latency when using a midi controller connected via USB? I'm using an Oxygen 61 with Ableton Live, latency isn't much of a problem when I'm just controlling fx parameters and the like with slider and knobs, but when I'm playing a softsynth on the keyboard there's a fairly noticeable delay which makes things difficult to say the least. I have the latest mAudio driver installed and I'm running with a mimimal hardware profile but any additional things I could do would be great..

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 10, 2007