Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence
I recently upgraded my music laptop from PC (3-4 year old i5) to Apple (M1 Pro) and the difference in performance is astounding to me.

I use Ableton Suite as my DAW, lots of software synths, a Minilogue and some guitars, etc. My old setup really struggled with newer wavetable soft synths, which meant a lot of flattening/freezing tracks. It was really tedious to manage. Latency & buffers were a PITA. Projects with over 10 tracks were hard to work with. My hardware issues were killing my creativity and started to take the fun out of making music.

Same audio interface (Scarlett Gen3), same software and the M1 Pro doesn't even break a sweat. No ASIO drivers or other nonsense. I can set the buffer size at the lowest setting and no issues. Latency is negligible.

I was always a PC user for 53 years and never bought into the Apple fanboy talk, but Apple is the real deal for music recording & production.

IMHO, if you're upgrading, spend the extra bucks on a M1 Pro Macbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

Discussion Quorum posted:

I want to get a vocal mic for self-critique and lessons. I already have a good audio interface so I am looking at XLR mics, not USB. I do not want to buy any other gear (eg Cloudlifter). I'm leaning towards a condenser so that I'm not adding in the complication of stage mic technique right away -- that said, I'm also not looking for an excuse to spend money, so if a $100 stage dynamic is the way to go, problem solved.

Budget is up to $300 at a full stretch - preferably $200-$250, used or new. My interests are jazz-pop (i.e. Sinatra) and straight pop (i.e. Elton John), and my voice is a baritone that (IMO) would probably suffer with a bright/peaky microphone. My space isn't great but I am not going to be recording for anything other than instruction or self-critique for the forseeable future. If I really want to record something nice I can go into a closet, or turn off the AC and put up some blankets. Seems like the thing should I want is transparency rather than "airy" or "vintage character" or whatever. I don't care how it sounds on guitar, drums, etc. -- this will be for singing and spoken word only.

I'm currently leaning towards a used Rode NT1 kit for ~$180. The AT4040 also seems appealing, but a lot of the other options (AKG 214, NT1A) seem like they may brighten voices too much for my tastes. On the dynamic side, the SE V7 sounds the most neutral/transparent to me. I don't mind picking up 2 mics and A/B testing. That said, I doubt my ear is developed enough to really make an enlightened decision, so I'd appreciate a sanity check on everything I just said.

I have the Rode NT1 kit (new, not used) and I like it. Singing & vocals are my least favorite part of creating music, so I never really did any A/B comparisons. Works well for what I do. I record with the "air" function on my Scarlett and it sounds good to me. FWIW

JeffLeonard fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 14, 2022

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

syntaxfunction posted:

If your isolated tracks sound full and perfect they'll probably sound way too busy and cluttered in the mix.

God, this is the truth.

When I was a young musician, almost no one had access to a real studio. If you or a bandmate had equipment, recording anything more than 4 tracks required bouncing and all sorts of bullshit. But it didn't really matter, because everything went on cassette and even commercially produced cassettes sounded terrible. So, production wasn't a thought outside of individual tracks; getting cool synth patches, guitar sound, etc. Nevermind that there wasn't any way for people to hear these lovely demos unless you handed it to them.

Now, for most of us, not only do you have to create something as a musician, you have to be a producer, mixing and mastering engineer. It's fun, but so overwhelming at times. I spend more time "engineering" than recording! I had to forget everything that I thought I knew about recording 30+ years ago, which apparently was all wrong. lol

JeffLeonard fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 2, 2023

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

Slothful Bong posted:

Gonna take a bit to sort out where I want to go I think, and I’ve got major song fatigue so I think I’ll need to start another track as a distraction.

That's good self care!

A friend of mine is a master wood carver. He carves amazing sculptures: merry go round sized creatures that take him years to complete. He gave me some excellent advice that really helped me: have several projects going at once in different stages of completion. That way, you keep your brain fresh. Don't feel like writing lyrics today? Work on drum programming! It really does help me stay fresh and creative.

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

!Klams posted:

Turns out I'm really fuckin' bad at this, anyone got any good vids on how to make stuff with Ableton that doesn't sound like utter garbage?

Like I know how to record my bass into it, but it sounds kinda poor and my timing isn't very good (Even with the metronome), and then it seems to be in a slightly different timing when I record another sample? As in, I record over the top and it sounds good, but then I play it back after recording and it's quite obviously out of sync. I wanna just play something, have Ableton sync it, and then loop it, but I can't work it out. I'm sure its really easy, but I am defeated.

My best guess: it sounds like you have "auto-warping" of your samples turned on. Turn that off in the options. Autowarping tries to stretch/compress an audio sample (i.e. your bass playing) to match the song tempo you selected.

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

!Klams posted:

Oh, well, I feel like I want that 'on' and it's not doing it, but, maybe I have it on and it's doing it wrong? But that's exactly what I want... I think?

Going from the bass via a standard jack into a Scarlett 4i4 (3rd gen). Sorry I'm not near my rig right now but I'll take a ss of the settings when I can. It's gonna be something mad stupid, I bet.

You really don't want autowarping on for what you are doing. That's more for importing samples into a song/set.

You can always go back and manually tighten up the timing in the later production phases if you want to.

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

I. M. Gei posted:

What is Reaper? I've seen it mentioned in this thread but haven't ever used it myself. Is it good for identifying notes and chords and things in a track, or is it more for original composition?

Have you tried Transcribe? It's an inexpensive little program that does a pretty good job of identifying notes & chords, and can isolate instruments with varying levels of success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

I. M. Gei posted:

Google shows several programs called Transcribe. Which one are you referring to?

Transcribe! from Seventh String Software