Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

marrone posted:

Or would it be better for me to just take the mic and plug it into my line in with an xlr-trs cable?
You can't take an instrument level source and plug it into a line level input and expect amplification to take place.

nimper fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 30, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Tuna, the Muse posted:

Repost from a few pages back:

I've been thinking about recording for a while now, and I think I'm finally motivated enough to start looking into it. I thought I'd check here first to make sure I'm on the right track. From what I understand I'm going to need the following:

Mic
Mic Stand
Mic Cable
Recording Interface
Music Mixing/Recording program of some sort
Maybe preamp?

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best bang for my buck for these items? Especially recording interface. I really have no idea what to look for there. I'm only going to have one mic, recording vocals and guitar for the time being. Maybe bass, harmonica, whistle or something. No drums any time soon.
All this info is in the first post of the thread. Certain information may be somewhat outdated (it's over two years old) by now but the basics are still there.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
That preamp doesn't appear to have phantom power so that condenser mic will not work with it.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
You could throw in one of these I suppose.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Just get the UX2. The $20 you'd save with the Art Tube MP would be taken up with the extra cabling required.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

A MIRACLE posted:

Hello all, I could use some help. I skimmed the first few pages but didn't really find an answer for my question.

Today fedex shipped me the M-audio Keystudio, which is a usb powered keyboard. When I try to play some software instruments on Garageband or Logic, the sound crackles a lot. This happens when the CPU bar on Logic is full. A friend suggested that maybe my soundcard can't handle the keyboard, and that I should buy a better soundcard. Is this the case? I appreciate your help.
What sound card are you using? What kind of Mac do you have?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Fortissimo posted:

I'm looking to get a recording setup for acoustic guitar and I was looking at these things:

Mic http://www.axemusic.com/product.asp...a=all&PT_ID=all

Interface
http://www.axemusic.com/product.asp?numRecordPosition=6&P_ID=18729&PT_ID=281

I don't really know much about this stuff, so would this be a decent setup? Is that audio interface ok for recording with that mic on a laptop? Thanks.
Yeah that's fine. 192khz recording is a little overkill (most studios use 96khz) but new technology yay!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Edit gently caress never mind, you're using Vista. Someone else know the answer?

nimper fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 17, 2008

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Vista's audio system was revamped, so answers for XP don't necessarily translate to Vista.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

oval office Puncher posted:

What DAWs can handle 192kHz besides Pro Tools HD?
None that I know of, which is why I said most studios use 96khz.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Fortissimo posted:

would i be able to set it to 96 or something? I have no idea what this is does it mean I can't use normal recording programs?
The recording program will use what you tell it to. If it supports 192khz then go crazy.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

oval office Puncher posted:

Q: If I have friends over to jam on guitars/bass/keys, is it possible to route each instrument into a PC running multiple instances of Guitar Rig as well as some soft synths and then out through a single pair of monitors? Or should I bite the bullet and buy separate amps for each instrument?
What you're wanting to do is possible, sure, but why don't your friends have their own gear?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
For people talking you're going to want each person to have a mic right in front of their face.

Here's uncle Howard to show you how it's done.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

codyclarke posted:

Yeah but do I really want people talking into Samson C02's? Or maybe I do. Someone educate me.
Well, no, not really. If you get two more of the Rodes then you'll be good :v:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
That does sound pretty good. The Samsons really aren't meant for close-miking, but they sound fine for what you need.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Vetinari posted:

Edit: I've been told by a few people to use Silarius, so I'm giving that a try now.
So everyone knows what you're talking about, it's Sibelius.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Ableton works fine for general-purpose recording. It's a fully-functional DAW.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Vetinari posted:

Is there a good program that can isolate specific tracks from mp3s?

I've got Ableton and Sibelius but neither seems to do that...not that I'm good with Sibelius.
.... no.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

The Dissonant posted:

So do I need better mics or something, or am I just doing something wrong? Or do I need to buy better preamps?
We need to know a couple things first.

Your guitar amp:

Recording quality (eg 24bit/96khz):

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

The Dissonant posted:

As for the SM57, for this recording I positioned it right in front of the amp, about 6 inches away.
Shove that sucker right up against the amp. The less room noise the better.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

BronYAurStomp posted:

I have a quick question..I'm planning on using logic pro and a midi keyboard (this one, perhaps: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-KeyRig-49-USB-Keyboard?sku=700932), and I want to record guitar too. I was wondering if I could my multi effects pedal's line out (http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/ME-50/specs.html) and plug it into an E-MU 0404 with a 1/4" jack. Would that work?
Yep, sure would.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

mr_package posted:

LOL sorry-- I just need a cheap stereo setup for room / ambience. :)
Just get a real 57 you nitwit!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

that sound is the sound of rivensbitch's head exploding

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Fruit Smoothies posted:

Hey guys sorry for not reading the full 34 pages.

I have a fairly awesome Roland VA-5 Arranger keyboard with decent speakers, and a line out to a 1.4".

In terms of recording from it, is it better to get a mic and capture the speaker output, or simply to put the jack from the line out into the preamp?
Line out. You will not gain anything from micing it.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Fruit Smoothies posted:

Surely the instrument has some sort of amplification? Or is the preamp simply there to ensure a decent sound quality?

I have before bought a 1/4" to standard audio jack converter, and simply done lineout from the roland, to line in on my sound card.

I know this setup is wrong, so I guess I don't fully understand how the preamp prevents the awful sound quality I get when I do this.
What sound card do you have? You don't need a preamp for line-level signals.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Just posting to say that the Delta 1010LT's mic preamps are utter garbage, and there is no way to adjust the input gain levels.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
What OS are you on, 6025?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

6025 posted:

Oh, I knew I was forgetting something. I'm on XP Home.

What service pack? I don't know if m-audio supports sp3 very well.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

tender_keith posted:

does this sacrifice sound quality...?
Yes. Unless it's a simulated speaker out, it will sound like horseshit. You're really better off just plugging the guitar directly into the computer and using an amp sim VST (amplitube, etc.).

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

tender_keith posted:

The amp has one 1/4" output jack. I use this jack with my headphones, which are 1/8", and a 1/8-1/4" adapter. It sounds great through the headphones with this setup. Why would it sound lovely on the computer?

Also, when you say "plug the guitar directly into the computer", do you mean run a cable from the 1/4" out on the guitar body itself directly into the 1/8" line in on the computer, bypassing the amp completely?

Edit: by the way I am talking about a Silvertone Smart IIIs amp

You're welcome to try the headphone jack into the sound card, but in my experience I've found that doesn't sound very good.

If you want to plug the guitar directly into the computer, there probably needs to be a preamp between the guitar and the computer that'll get the instrument signal up to something the sound card can actually use.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/ART-Tube-MP-Studio-Mic-Preamp?sku=180581

The Art Tube MP is $30 and I think Musicians Friend is running a free shipping special on orders over $29. Plug the guitar into the preamp, then run a line to the computer's line in jack (not the microphone jack).

You could also get this and use it between your amp and the computer. Either way it's a nice little gadget to have.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

GrAviTy84 posted:

Just because it has a tube in it doesn't mean it's good. Buy a recording card with built in pre, it'll sound better than that art plugged into a consumer soundcard.

Yeah, if you have hundreds of dollars for a soundcard you won't be needing the Art preamp. The Art is for people who don't have hundreds of dollars.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

tender_keith posted:

Oh man that preamp is just what I want I think. I also have a shure57 instrument mic that I want to use w/ my computer, and I was considering dropping hundreds on a sound card w/ xlr input and preamp in it. This thing looks like I could use it between either my guitar or mic and just a standard line-in on the soundcard. Sweet!

Someone let me know if I am wrong please! I really don't know much about this but I am trying to learn.
Just for the record, what sound card are you thinking about getting?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

tender_keith posted:

I don't know yet I am trying to read a bunch and looking around still. I was looking at this but I don't understand what some of the inputs/outputs are.

This is an OK card, but it won't work in *edit* 64-bit Vista. M-Audio still hasn't released updated drivers yet.

It also claims to have a control panel where you can set and "fine-tune" input levels and all that, but moving the faders doesn't actually do anything. You'll need an external mixer if you want to have input control.

nimper fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 20, 2008

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Rockstar posted:

That's really the extent of my foreseeable home recording needs. Through my own online shopping, the Firebox seems to be the best solution I've come across. Ye or Ne?
Yeah the Firebox will do fine.

If you want to buy it now, MF has a refurb for $220 plus free shipping with the SHIP29 code.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=184133X

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

infiniteseal posted:

Since firewire has its own built in chip to handle data transfers
what

Explain this please and also explain why USB does not have this

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

My Precious Violin Case posted:

How much an I looking to spend on an XLR cable? I only need about 6 feet of cable but I don't know what makes a good cable; is there any brand I'd spec I should look out for or are they all pretty much created equal (doubtful since it's an analog cable)
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10244

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Thickness usually refers to the outer covering. The thicker the cable, the more protected the wires are from damage.

Sound quality is unaffected by cable thickness, since all XLR cables use the same gauge of wire.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
drat you RivensBitch! I'm trying to spread misinformation here and you aren't helping!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

weekly font posted:

So gang vocals...any trick to it or just get a bunch of friends to scream the lines around a microphone a few times?
You could get the same friend to scream it a bunch of times but I don't think he'd like you very much afterward..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

My Precious Violin Case posted:

I'm not sure where exactly to ask this (or what to google) but how/where should I store a microphone? I do my recording in the basement of our house and it has been getting pretty drat cold because of the winter. I keep my mic in the little leather pouch that it came in but it's pretty cold to the touch when I take it out. Should I be taking it upstairs after every use? It's a condenser microphone if that matters.

Are there any maintenance tips I should be aware of?
Well just make sure there's no moisture condensing on the condenser and screwing with the electronics.