Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

RivensBitch posted:

My system is a quad Q6600 overclocked to 3ghz per core and I'm running fanless, no water cooling. What kind of video card do you have? I have a 7800GS with an extra large heatsink and the fan unplugged and I get some pretty decent FPS.

Silent computing is awesome, I think fan noise causes psychosis.

Jesus Christ that's retarded. You don't even have a CPU fan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Al2001 posted:

cheap netbook
I believe I have diagnosed your problem. The motherboard is probably introducing a fair bit of noise into the equation.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Three Red Lights posted:

Question: Why do people record in 48k/ 96k/whatever when CD audio is 44.1? Isnt any benefit just going to be lost in the final mix anyway?
Who the gently caress buys CDs anymore? It's all digital now.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

RivensBitch posted:

I actually can't wait until higher sample rates catch on in the end medium format. Can an iPod actually play back formats above 48khz? We're at the point now with digital distribution where there's really no point in sticking to the 44.1khz standard, bandwidth is cheap as is storage.
Yeah, digital distribution is what I was talking about when I said it was "all digital now".

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Really? Are we going there? Come on.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Three Red Lights posted:

Are there any good tricks for bringing tracks together in a mix? I mean getting the feel that the bass and drums were recorded together without having the means to actually do so.

Use a click track when you record.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

wixard posted:

I was going to guess transcribers. They're the only time I've ever had to deal with cassettes because they have their setup with the foot pedals and all while they type and they see no reason to change it. Unfortunately they do still sell them.

Even the small law firm where I work has switched to digital dictation/transcription. They need to get with the times.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Phantom power doesn't really affect dynamic mics. It's ribbon mics you need to keep separate from phantom power.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Mudflap McDirt posted:

How does one add roominess anyway? When I record drums, you can tell they're in a room, but when I record guitars, they sound like they're DI (in comparison). What's the best way to add air to the guitar sound?

usually a reverb plugin

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Mudflap McDirt posted:

well that's simple.

Or you can record with the mic farther back from the grille of the guitar amp.

I personally like to record in stereo with the mics on the opposite sides of the room and then crank the guitar amp to 11.

Phasing? What's that?

nimper fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 11, 2009

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

RivensBitch posted:

One day the thread will be named "Chippy teaches recording" and then you can too can have carte blanche to never read what anyone else posts.

Actually I've been doing that since before the thread was named after me, so come on in the water is fine

Actually the thread title says Rivensbitch but you are clearly RivensBitch so :gb2gbs:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Octavioo posted:

I'm thinking of buying a field recorder but I have no idea where to start. I'd like something that could plug into a MIDI input, or even USB, but I'm pretty clueless on this sort of stuff. Any advice is appreciated.

What are you looking to record? What's your budget?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Can you post a recording of you talking normally?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Have you considered a headset microphone?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
As long as we're on the subject of interfaces, what's everyone's opinion on the Presonus Firestudio Project? I'm looking to sell my current gear and get one of those so I can record on my Macbook.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

outerheaven11 posted:

Audio is handled by an M-Audio FastTrack Ultra on both setups. I never had pops or hisses with the old computer, only with the new one. Is there anything I can do about this?
What motherboard do you have in the new computer?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

the wizards beard posted:

Can anyone recommend a micing set up for drums with a low number of mics? I want to record some demo tracks and we will only have access to a Tascam digital 4-track or an Emu 1616m, so only 4 channels. We have access to an SM57, an SM58, an Audix dynamic mic (I think an OM series, will check) and various 57 and 58 clones. I realise this is pretty inflexible but right now we can live with rough demo recordings.

Two matched overheads and close mics on the snare and kick should give you a good sound with only 4 inputs.

http://www.kimcheerecords.com/articles/drums/ has a good writeup on positioning.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Elder posted:

I'm surprised you were even able to get it to run on 7, I tried but the drivers for the Mbox just didn't work.

Were you using the 32bit or 64bit drivers?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

burritonegro posted:

Mine was a 32bit installer on 64bit Windows so go figure.

64bit Windows installs 32bit programs in a separate location from 64bit programs, so it could be that the plugins were looking for their settings in the wrong place.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
The rhythm guitar is way too prominent. Turn it down and go with a little more subtle panning.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

RivensBitch posted:

We should add this to the OP:

Interactive Frequency Chart

This should be the standard response to most of the EQ questions we get around here.

Done

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

keyframe posted:

By the way do we have a musicians lounge irc channel?

Yes... it's an idle-fest though.

#music on synirc

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Physical posted:

I think this might be the right spot to ask this, although the hardware forum might be another stop, but its related to a mixing console with a firewire port. And I have a laptop that does not have a firewire port and no PCMCIA but it does have USB 3.0 and Ethernet.

Do any of you have experience with any Firewire to USB adapters or hubs? Or, are there any Fireware to LAN adapters that you have used?

You're better off replacing either the mixing console or the laptop, because there's no easy way to get either of them to talk to each other.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
If you were able to develop a firewire->USB data translation device, you'd be a rich man, assuming you are also able to overcome the product licensing nightmare that you'd be facing.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Noise Machine posted:

Can you use an external hard drive for recording if it's connected via a USB hub? I have this nice keyboard and mouse but my macbook only has two usb ports.

The latency there would get pretty high, I would think.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

SevenStringGuru posted:

I have a very old upright piano that I would like to record. I was recommended by the music store to find a mic that I could place on the inside of the piano where the mallets hit. I only have a SM57; should i get sm58? The room I am recording in is about 25'x35' with 12' ceilings. Maybe it would be better to put one mic in the room to capture the room reverb? Any suggestions

Try it with the mic slightly behind the piano (maybe a foot or two) pointed at the the center of the back plate. You don't want to go too far out in the room unless you want the more airy sound.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Stealth Tiger posted:

Is there a good 1/4" -> USB cord out there? I just want to record a guitar on my laptop. I bought one from Sam Ash the other day and returned it because of latency and massive amounts of white noise. Googling isn't really showing me anything with stellar reviews. I don't want to spend the money on an I/O when I only plan on using one slot. Any ideas?

The cheap cable you bought is essentially doing the same thing as an I/O box, just really terribly.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Jazz Marimba posted:

I'll admit I didn't read more than the OP and the last page looking to see if this has been answered before, so if it has I apologize.

Oh god please someone make a new thread that OP is so old.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
ignore me please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Paperhouse posted:

What's a good way to A/B mixes of the same track? I'm thinking either a specific program or just a good way to do it otherwise. At the moment I'm playing two tracks in separate VLC instances and muting one then the other, but it's not really possible to get them playing at exactly the same time and to mute one and unmute the other at the same time

Load the mixdowns in a separate instance of whatever mixing program you're using?