Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
The level of the noise is extremely low. It is inaudible at the volume I listen to music at through headphones. If that's all you're getting with the pre-amp turned up to full, are you sure you aren't just picking up the sound of some moving parts in your computer or other electronic device? Have you tried a different mic cable or mic? Try rearranging the positions of your Firebox, computer and other electronic devices, mic, and cables to see if that has any effect on issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

blinkeve1826 posted:

How would I hook up external compressor with an Apogee Duet? Out from the Duet to the input of the compressor, and then just out the output of the compressor back in to the Duet via one of the other inputs?
The main drawback of the duet is it only has 2 channels of in and out, making it tricky to use external effects on something besides the input. What exactly are you trying to accomplish with the compressor? That has a huge effect on how you want to set it up. If you want to use it on an individual DAW track, your SOL unless you don't mind not being able to monitor the whole mix while you use the compressor on the one track. You can use it on a whole mix, but you'll need some sort of splitter at some point if you want to be able to monitor with speakers (rather than just headphones). If you just want to add compression to something like a mic or guitar that you're recording, just put the compressor between the source and the input.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

blinkeve1826 posted:

It's a condenser mic, and the compressor doesn't have phantom power. I'm using the compressor mainly for the noise gate (I'm not satisfied with any noise removal plug-ins).
First off, check out some other plugins, as wixard suggested.

If you are set on using the hardware unit, one way to do it would be to record your track, burn the recording to CD or a digital player, then run the output from the player into your compressor, then your compressor into your apogee input.

Another option is to route the recorded track to one of the outputs, send the output to the compressor, then the compressor to an input and record it (I believe this is what you suggested). The problem with this is you will only be able to monitor the one track that you are compressing, rather than the entire mix. Also, you won't be able to have speakers connected to the duet while you're using the compressor this way unless you use some sort of audio splitter (the headphone jack will work either way though).

Depending on how often you use it and how you use it, there might be a lot of cable swapping involved, so in the end it might be less of a pain to bounce your recordings to a digital player or just use a plug-in.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
If the device has Vista x64 drivers, it should work fine with Win7 x64.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Houston Rockets posted:

You would think so, but people have been having endless problems with audio interfaces and Vista drivers. My MobilePre doesn't even work with the Vista drivers.
Ahh that's too bad. FWIW, my MOTU Ultralite mk3 works great with Win7 x64, and that's using the Vista drivers. The Ultralite is great if you're willing to spend the money. It's main downside is it is more responsive to low level conflicts and hiccups on the PCI Bus (or maybe the Southbridge?) than most of the cheaper interfaces. For instance, what might cause a barely noticeable dropout on a Firebox would cause a short drop followed by a short high pitched noise with the Ultralite. That might sound bad, but if your computer is optimized for audio it will be fine.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Q_res posted:

Now, the motherboard I've chosen does have built-in firewire.
A lot of interfaces only play well with specific Firewire chipsets (Texas Instruments and a few others). Most onboard firewire chipsets don't fall into this category, so a PCI firewire card is something you might want to look into depending on what interface you go with.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Might not be the issue, but read Chapter 30 in the Live manual about optimizing sound quality, especially 30.4. One option would be to process the vocals in Logic, then load them back into Live. You can also look into VST plugins for Live if the built in effects aren't doing it for you.

Have you tried contacting Apple about your Logic issue? Seeing as how you're using their App and OS, they should be able to figure out what's going on.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
My old interface had the same problem with direct guitar. I got a much more usable signal by putting a clean boost pedal between the guitar and the interface. If you don't have a clean boost, some sort of distortion/overdive pedal with the level knob cranked and the distortion knob turned most of the way down might be able to give you a decent boost without dirtying up the signal too much (really depends on the pedal). Not an ideal solution but it might be enough for the time being.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

JohnnySmitch posted:

Here's a question I couldn't find a good answer for from google:

I've got my latency down to about 6.5ms. When I record parts playing along with my MIDI drum track, they sound slightly off time to me when I play them back - should I be nudging them 6.5ms ahead after recording them to compensate for my latency? Or is it just my own lovely timing/all in my head?
There's a Track Delay (more like offset) setting under the fader for each channel. If everything is off by a consistent amount of time you can use it to quickly bring the whole track back in time.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Mine is in the mail. Who else is getting one?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

WanderingKid posted:

Can you use Core Audio driver in a Boot Camp Windows 7 machine? If so I guess I'll sell my Xpander when I get it fixed up and buy an MPB.
Core Audio is OSX only.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm looking for some advice on purchasing monitors for a bedroom studio. After reading some reviews I'm looking at KRK RP8G2 Rokit G2 Powered 2-Way Active Monitors. $500 for a pair with stands and isolation pads seems like a great deal. I know that's relatively cheap in world of monitors, but I'd have a hard time justifying spending too much more than that for something I'll be using in an untreated room. I've seen a lot of good reviews for Adam A7s and some Dynaudios as something a step above the RP8s, but they're all $1K+ per pair. Should I go with the RP8s? Is a sub crucial? I primarily produce electronic music, some of it bass heavy.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
RME makes some great interfaces for cheaper than the Ensemble that he might want to consider if he can save a bit more ($1300 for the 400).

There's nothing very special about the preamps that come with audio interfaces, even the more expensive ones. If he cares about preamp quality, he might want to consider spending a bit less on the interface and adding a separate preamp module.

The FMR RNP is a great 2 channel preamp for $475 new, and ~$400 (+/- $25ish) used. Pair that with something like a MOTU Ultralite ($550) and you have 4 pres, two of which are Really Nice, 4 more line input channels for future expansion, 10 output channels, and onboard DSP for not much more than his budget. The MOTU pres are clean and have plenty of gain as well.

If you want to go with a 4 pre interface, the MOTU Traveler is another option to consider with the Mbox Pro. There's also the TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48, but I don't know anything about the quality of the TC Electronic gear. However, if he's serious about recording, I think an RNP + 2 pre interface would be a better use of money than a 4 pre interface.

As far as converters go, I don't think you're going to find much difference between the quality of the converters used in the Apogee, Digi, MOTU, RME, and most other interfaces in this price range. Cirrus Logic and Asahi Kasei make the converters used in most of these interfaces, and a lot of them are using the same chips. While the sound quality of each unit depends on more than just the converters, I wouldn't expect a dramatic difference in quality between any of these units.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 18, 2011

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I don't think there are any MIDI controllers with 20+ channels, at least not on the cheap. The most economical way to do it would be to get 2 or 3 cheap MIDI controllers with 8 faders each. The Evolution UC-33 would be a good choice, but they might be hard to find now. 8 faders with 3 rotary knobs per fader that you could assign to Pan, EQ or whatever, plus a 9th fader with no rotaries. Also some buttons. Behringer also makes something similar called the BCF2000. It has 8 faders, more buttons than the UC-33, but less rotaries.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Seventh Arrow posted:

I'm wondering what my options are for recording drums. My interface is the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra. That page says that it allows for 8 inputs, but the interface itself only has 4 microphone input jacks.

So anyways, most of the microphone packs I've looked at have 7 pieces, which I guess allows one to have a mic on kick, snare, hi-hat, toms and maybe an ambience mic. There's one with 4 pieces, but it looks like it's meant more for live sound. So can I just get the 7 mics and use maybe an inexpensive mixing board to shimmy everything down to 4 channels or less? Any thoughts?
You can do drums pretty well with 4 mics. 2 overheads, 1 on the kick, 1 on the snare.

It looks like you could track up to 6 mics simultaneously with your interface. To get 6 you could buy 2 external mic pres and run them into inputs 5 and 6 on the back of the interface.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I have a Phenom II X4 945 based system that I use for music production. Adding a discrete PCIe graphics card introduced occasional DPC latency spikes. Whether or not that card on that motherboard will have the same issue is a mystery, and even if it does, whether or not the spikes will anger that particular soundcard is also a mystery. Personally, I'd go with a motherboard with integrated graphics if you don't plan on doing any serious gaming (which judging by the card you selected, you don't). The integrated Radeon HD 3300 on my motherboard is quite capable, and I'm sure there's even better options out there now (I purchased mine mid '09). If you do end up going discrete and have DPC latency problems, one thing that may help is disabling the power saving features of the graphics card (preventing the card from drastically down clocking when idle or in 2D mode) or increasing the minimum speed the card will down clock to when trying to save power. However, this is trickier than it sounds, especially with the newest ATI drivers.

There's a stickied thread in SH/SC for asking advice on parts for building a system. I'd post there with your budget and any music production specific requirements that you get out of this thread (integrated graphics for instance, possibly intel based as well).

Other observations (and stuff the guys in the SH/SC thread can help you with):
The CPU will come with a capable CPU cooler. The only reasons to add an aftermarket cooler are a) if you plan to overclock, and b) if you want to build a quieter system. The processor you've chose is plenty powerful for music production, so there's no reason to overclock (it will just add headache and potentially cause instability with your music software). Building a quieter rig is a legitimate goal if you plan on doing any mic'ed recording (less background noise from the computer), or just for your sanity (loud high pitched fan noise drives me crazy). However, the cooler you linked isn't a good choice for this. For quiet, you want a giant heatsink (preferably w/ a copper base) built for overclocking that has a variable speed 120mm fan that can run very slow. This will cost you a bit more than the one you linked ($30-50 range).

16GB of RAM is extreme overkill. 8GB will be more than enough for what your doing, and its questionable as to whether you'd even notice the difference between 4 and 8. Even on a 64-bit OS, I don't think Live can use more than 4GB of RAM because it is a 32-bit program (correct me if I'm wrong), and even if it could, it doesn't sound like you'll be doing anything that will take advantage of that.

That power supply is likely a piece of poo poo. The PSU isn't something you should skimp on. The SH/SC people will have a solid recommendation for the system you end up with.

I'm not familiar with that case case, but that's another area you might want to consider spending a bit more money (I'm thinking 50-80ish). Cheaper cases tend to be hard to work with (poor layout, sharp metal edges inside), more noisy (case rattling, vibration, and loud case fans) and run hotter (which means your CPU fan will have to run faster and make more noise). Again, the system building thread will have some good recommendations for your budget.

Good luck!

edit: you also might want to consider a small solid state harddrive for your OS/programs (keeping the 1TB drive for storage, samples, project files/cache, etc.) with the money you'll save from cutting back on RAM. An SSD is one of the most noticeable and cost effective performance upgrade you can add to a system these days.

And XP vs Win7: If you're going with more than 4GB of RAM, Win7 64-bit, no question. You need a 64-bit OS to address more than 4GB of RAM, and 64-bit XP has horrible driver support. If you go 32-bit, you can make arguments either way, but I'd still go with 7. XP is 10 years old and won't be supported for much longer. Audio on 7 has been stable for me and many others, and IMO 7 is much better all around than XP. The only reason I'd go with XP is the off chance that your audio hardware still doesn't have solid vista/7 drivers.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 13, 2011

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

dirtbag posted:

Whadya think about adding a sub to the setup? Would it be worth spending another $400'ish?
Investing $400 in room treatment would probably do a lot more for your mixes than adding a sub. In an untreated room, especially if its small, a sub will probably do more harm than good to your monitoring environment. I'd get some experience mixing with your monitors and see how your mixes translate before considering a sub. Some 8" woofers actually have decent bass response, so you might find your current setup is fine, even for producing bass heavy music.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

quote:

I know HotCanadianChick thinks Ableton is the devil incarnate, but it did so, so very many things right in terms of a streamlined, menuless, single screen interface. It does require you to think and approach your workflow from a totally different angle than a traditional DAW, but once it clicks for you, it's a real "holy poo poo I don't have to wrestle with the interface" moment.
Seriously though, that's exactly the kind of thing many people say about Live once it "clicks".

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Anyone know of a sturdy 'keyboard' tray I can buy for a desk that's made for MIDI keyboards rather than computer keyboards? I'm looking for something that's at least big enough to hold a decent sized 49-key controller.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I used to have that same Audigy card (or maybe it was the Platinum Pro). It is possible you might get a passable recording by buying an external preamp and running it through the card's line in, but I think you will have issues setting an acceptable latency for recording. Either way, I think you will rather quickly run into the limits of your Audigy and end up purchasing a USB/Firewire interface that makes any standalone preamps you purchased redundant.

I'd recommend investing in a USB or Firewire interface as your first purchase, then go from there. There's a thread in this forum that can help with picking an entry level audio interface. Make sure at least one of its inputs as phantom power (for condenser mics) and one of its inputs can handle instruments (it may also be sold as a Hi-Z input. This is for getting a decent signal when plugging in an electric guitar/bass/etc direct).

For the guitar, consider going in directly and using an amp simulator plugin rather than recording the amp. Some DAWs come with quality amp sims these days, and there are various 3rd party amp plugins out there at various price points (including free). It will be much easier to get a quality guitar sound with an amp plugin than trying to get a good recording of your amp with an SM57 in your bedroom. Plus you save on buying a dynamic mic and accessories. The bass sansamp might also work well with your guitar, especially combined with effects in your DAW. Experiment with that.

For vocals, get a cheap large diaphragm condenser. Someone else can probably chime in with a decent recommendation here (I think MXL is a brand to look at in your price range). For the MIDI controller, decide how many keys you want, then look choose amongst the budget offerings based on which has the most 'extras' that will be useful to you (things like knobs, faders, drum pads, buttons).

As for your budget, you may be able to get an interface an condenser mic for around that price, but once you factor in a mic stand and cables, you'll be over it. I don't think it'll be possible to do interface + mic + MIDI for $250. You're looking at least $150 for an interface (e.g. PreSonus AudioBox. I wouldn't go any cheaper than that), at least $100 for a condenser mic (not counting stand/cable), and $70-150 for a MIDI controller depending on what you're looking for.

tl;dr:
1. Get a USB/Firewire interface
2. Decide what you want to be able to do first: record vocals, or record MIDI
3. Buy either a mic/stand/cables or MIDI controller depending on what you decided in 2
4. Save more money
5. Buy whatever you didn't buy in step 3

P.S. OnStage stands are poo poo.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Do go on, please.

I can't get a good sound off my mic'ed amps for the life of me.
I may be a bit behind the times here, but the top 2 options have typically been Amplitube or GuitarRig, but they're expensive @ $200+ for full versions. It looks like Amplitube now has a free option that gives you a handful of amps/cabs/effects to start with and you can buy new amps/cabs/effects individually from there. Now that I look at it, it seems GuitarRig has a free version as well. Waves also came out with guitar sims a few years ago. Its called GTR and it looks like they have a reasonably priced started version ($40) and the full version isn't too much more (~$100). I'm not sure how the latest GTR version compares to Amplitube or GuitarRig in terms of quality.

I haven't tried out any other free sims recently, but some quick googling resulted in these two links that should be helpful:
http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2012/02/21/bpb-freeware-studio-best-free-guitar-amp-simulator-vstau-plugins/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNjY74Zjc1A

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Will using studio monitors layed down horizontally result in worse monitoring or mixing than standing them up vertically? I have KRK Rokit 8s if that matters. They came with isolation pads, so laying them down doesn't increase their contact area with my desk.

I read that in theory the horizontal configuration is worse, because the sound will vary as your head moves horizontally (which happens more often than vertical movement when sitting), but I'm wondering how much of a real world difference it would actually make. I hope its not too much, because I'm reorganizing my desk and going horizontal would give me much more space.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

wixard posted:

As a rule, I don't think it matters. Maybe there are particular sets of monitors where it does, but it seems like laying them on their sides on the console bridge is one of the most popular spots for nearfields in a recording studio. You rarely see speakers like NS-10s standing up on end. I guess the idea is that the distance between your ears and the tweeter/woofer changes, so phase would change more as you move left to right, but with nearfields there's always a sweet spot you can't take your head out of.
That's good news. What I read was warning of comb filtering as you move your head horizontally when the speakers are on their side (same thing would happen as you move up and down when mounted vertically). Any opinion on tweeters in or out? I always assumed out..

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Franz Liszt 96 posted:

Does anyone use traktor? I want to get it to let me sync double or half tempo on songs that it mis-reads the tempo for so that I don't get ridiculous speed-ups and slow-downs when syncing. Any ideas? The interface doesn't really have a lot of options. I don't think I can even type a tempo in, I have to slide the slider.
You can type a BPM and there are buttons for halving or doubling the bpm (they look like [*2] and [/2] I believe). You can do this in the "Grid" tab that displays under the waveform view area for a deck. If you don't see that section, you may have to go to preferences to expand the view for each deck (there are different options like compact, expanded, etc.). This is definitely available in Traktor 2, S4 and Scratch pro. Not sure about older versions, but I imagine any version with beat gridding can do it.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm looking for a drum pad MIDI controller that has pads designed for being hit with sticks rather than fingers. I'm not particularly good at or fond of finger banging. All I could really find that fits the bill is the Alesis ControlPad, but it seems to be out of stock at all the major retailers at the moment which has me thinking it is discontinued. Everything similar seems to be much more expensive because they can be used standalone as samplers rather than only providing MIDI control. Any ideas?

fake edit: some sites confirm that more ControlPads will be shipping, so I guess its not discontinued, however, I'd still love to hear if anyone has any experience with it or knows of some similar products to checkout.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
The Octapad looks nice and I've also seen people using the DTX-Multi 12, but that's what I'm talking about with the units that are also drum machines costing much more. I really only need this for MIDI so I'm not looking to spend too much more than the finger pad units cost. Under $300 for sure. That SDMP1 does look nice, but I can't seem to find anywhere selling it currently.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm looking for a quality desktop mic stand for use with a Sure Beta 57, Sennheiser e835, and Rode NT2-A. Any recommendations? I'd like to avoid OnStage if possible, as every OnStage product I've owned has been a poorly built piece of crap, but some stores don't seem to have any desktop stands that aren't OnStage.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Looks good to me. Thanks

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
If you don't decide to return them for the cash, I'd exchange them for some active monitors rather than buying an amp for the ones you have.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm retiring my desktop and am going to start using my macbook pro for all music production duties (previously I was only using it for live performance). One thing I have to figure out is where to store sample libraries (Komplete mainly) and probably project/audio files as well. The laptop only has a 128 GB SSD, so I'm going to have to either replace the DVD drive with an internal hard drive, or use a USB external hard drive (USB 2.0). How will performance differ with different setups (i.e. 5400 rpm internal vs 7200 rpm internal vs 5400 rpm external vs 7200 rpm external)? I'm not doing multi-track recording (1 track at a time max), so I don't think that aspect will be too drive intensive.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
This might be more appropriate for A/V Arena, but does anyone know of a waterproof or resistant voice recorder that would work for recording in the shower? Seems like this should be possible since there are things like shower radios, but I've been having more trouble than expected trying to find one.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Sounds like you should stop wasting your time concerning yourself with this dude and his music.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Just make sure you change the Ableton track from stereo to mono. Under the Audio From drop down (below the track's clip slots, above the track's volume meter, probably set to 'Ext In'), there's another drop down that probably says 1/2 and has 2 mini meters. Change that drop down to just 1 or 2 (depending on which input you're using).

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Monitor placement question: I've always read that ideally the listening position should be the same distance from the the monitors as the monitors are from each other. In other words, the triangle created by the listening position and the monitors should be equilateral.

How much will accuracy be reduced if the listening position is significantly closer to the monitors than the monitors are from each other? Is this a big concern, or minor?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

wixard posted:

Depends heavily on the speakers. Imaging ("soundstage" in consumer audiophile parlance) is 100% black arts voodoo magic and different speakers do it very differently. An equidistant setup should always work well but may not be your ideal placement anyway depending on the speakers.

I'm going totally off the cuff here but if you want to scientifically convince yourself that your placement is still "within phase tolerance" (or something), reverse the polarity of one of the speakers then listen to the resulting weird sounds from the listening position and move them farther apart until it starts to sound significantly better. That's where it's going to start sounding significantly worse when they are in-phase.

Only catch is I would only recommend doing that with a physical phase reversal, either swapping pins 2 and 3 in the XLR feeding the monitors with a soldering iron or using an adapter that does the same thing.

Also do it as quietly as possible, you don't want to hear much of the room.
I have KRK Rokit 8 G2s if that makes a difference. What's the reason for recommending reversing the phase physically rather than in software? I'm not looking for a pristine listening environment. The room is already far from perfect. My goal is to figure out how shallow I can build a new desk before it will have a noticeable detrimental effect on monitoring.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I bought a used Novation 49 SL MkII off ebay and the tip of the pitch/mod joystick broke during shipping. It's annoying but still usable in it's current state, and doesn't seem like it would be too hard to make perfectly usable with a DIY repair (attach some extra height/material onto the joystick tip). I'd like to avoid returning it since it is otherwise in good shape. The seller has offered to compensate me for any repair and/or parts, but I couldn't find any replacement parts online. I did find similar joystick replacement parts for M-Audio and Korg controllers for ~$25. I'm wondering, how much money I should ask for as fair compensation? I'm thinking at least $25, as that's what equivalent replacement parts cost, plus maybe a little extra due to lost resale value and inconvenience. $35? $40? Is that fair? Sale price was $250 for reference.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Look for an interface that has a high impedance input (often labelled 'instrument' or 'hi-z'). That plus modeling software can get you a decent sound. Not all modeling software is created equal though. You could also use a physical amp modeller (e.g. line6 pod, sansamp) and route that into an interface. Some amps have a pre-amp or headphone out that you can route to an interface as a starting point without having to buy any modeling software.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
If you're okay with tiny keys, Korg has the microKey Air series which works well.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Snowy posted:

Is there any non-scammy way to get a discount on Ableton Live Suite? I don’t have a student ID so any discount from 750 or whatever would be nice.

I see some listings on eBay but I don’t know if that’s a terrible idea or not https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F153162647647

Ableton does run sales sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm still using a firewire interface with a modern Mac laptop :eek: