Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I think it's a stretch to call the Rokit G-series speakers useless for mixing. Nothing in that price range is close to "perfect": the Yamaha's aren't flat either. With some room treatment and experience most options in that price range are going to be capable of an adequate job. I believe the new Rokit models (G4) also come with a built in graphic EQ for calibrating their response to your particular room, which is intriguing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
On Mac you don't have to worry about a different driver type (e.g. ASIO) because CoreAudio doesn't have the same issues that the old Windows audio stack had (I believe Windows 10 has gotten to the point where WASAPI can be acceptable for low latency audio, though that doesn't mean it will be the best choice for a particular interface). That said, you should still see if the manufacturer provides any Mac drivers.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
With respect to neutral headphones for mixing, I thought open backed headphones were generally preferable for mixing (and the DT-770 and MDR7506 are closed back), whereas closed back was preferred for tracking (to minimize bleed into the mic)? Is that true or something that only really applies once you get into super expensive phones? I know mixing on headphones isn't ideal, but I'm in a situation now where I can only use my actual monitors ~10% of the time, so I have to do most of my mixing/production via headphones before doing a final round on the monitors. I had been looking at the DT 880 and Sennheiser HD560S as neutral open back options for mixing that aren't like $500+ (sounds like the DT 990 isn't as flat as the 880, despite being more open), but I still need to do some more research.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

nitsuga posted:

Hey! I just picked up a set of Mackie CR3-X's, and I thought I had RCA outputs on my interface, a Steinberg UR22 MKii, but I don't. It looks like I should be able to connect the two with two 1/4" TRS cables, but I'm really not sure. Would something like this work?

Yeah that should work, and that should give you a balanced connection (as opposed to RCA, which you could do via 1/4" TS > RCA cable, but would be unbalanced). Essentially you just need 2 1/4" TRS > 1/4" TRS cables (whether you get something like you linked with 2 cables advertised as stereo, or if you just got 2 separate 1/4" TRS cables). The R in TRS (as opposed to just TS) is essential for making it a balanced connection.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
If the turntable doesn't have a built in preamp, you may need to get a phono preamp to run in-between the turntable and interface inputs even if you're able to boost the input level enough. IIRC phono preamps don't just boost the signal, they also are have an EQ filter curve (RIAA curve?) that needs to be applied to get the record to actually sound like the master recording. There may be some plugins that could emulate the filter, but at that point it'd probably be less of a head ache to just get a preamp.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Crackling usually means your buffer is set too low for what your CPU/bus/interface can handle. Does raising the buffer in Amplitube or your DAW fix the crackling (even if raising the buffer results in unacceptable latency, still try it just as a troubleshooting step)? One thing to try if this is the problem is making sure you have the latest drivers installed from Focusrite (try completely uninstalling the previous version too). If you're on Windows, there's also ASIO4ALL, but I'd think the Focusrite drivers would be better. Another possibility is mis-matched sample rates, e.g. the interface is set to 48k while Amplitube/DAW is set to 44.1k. That's another thing to look into, especially if the crackling doesn't seem to be related to buffer size.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 16, 2021

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
To me it sounded like they were running 1 channel of Amplitube with live guitar as input, and 1 stereo channel with a single audio file backing track. Almost any computer from the last 10 years should be able to handle that with decent latency with a halfway decent interface. To me it seems more likely to be an unnecessarily low buffer (e.g. 128 is usually plenty, and some setups can even have decent latency for live input @ 256), audio interface driver issues, some sort of DPC latency issue (or other low level issue/conflict), or a configuration issue e.g. mismatched sample rates. If this is larger multi-track project with then definitely play around with freezing the non-live guitar tracks, but if it really is just Amplitube and a backing track I would definitely explore some of these other potential causes before accepting it's just a CPU limitation. More details from OP such as computer/specs, whether the crackles happen on basic Amplitube patches (e.g. just an amp/cab) or only when tons of effects/multiple signal chains are used, and what (if any) other software / plugins are involved would help diagnose.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

bltzn posted:

The "backing track" is just a YouTube video. I know I can eliminate crackling by increasing my buffer size but what concerns me is the entire guitar going silent unless I replug my interface or guitar. I don't have any pedals or any other plugins. I'm a beginner guitarist and not recording anything. I'm just using my interface and amp sim as a substitute for a real one.

Windows 10, i3-8100

I crossposted in the guitar thread and someone suggested my desktop's front usb inputs could be crashing.

To inspire some confidence that this isn't a CPU issue: I'm still producing on a late 2013 rMBP, which has a slower CPU than that 8100, and I can run way, way, waaaaaaay more than one instance of an amp sim before I even have to consider raising my buffer or freezing any tracks to avoid crackling.

To reiterate others and provide a few additional options: try different USB ports, re-install interface drivers, check the Windows power plan, download ""DPC Latency Checker" and see if you're seeing any spikes when you get crackles/drops, check if your sample rate settings in Amplitube/interface/windows/youtube all match.

It doesn't sound like you're even using a true DAW, but IIRC Amplitube standalone is almost a mini DAW itself and supports loading in audio files that can be used as backing tracks. So definitely try using a backing track directly within Amplitube and seeing if the crackling issues persist. If not, it definitely seems like the issue is related to playing audio from multiple programs and/or mixing ASIO / non-ASIO sources. There are ways to download/extract/record audio from youtube videos to import to Amplitube.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
For mixing headphones my research pointed me towards the Sennheiser HD 560S. They are open back and very well reviewed for their accuracy, especially for their price range.

Ideally you want open backs for mixing, but sometimes that's just not possible (e.g. if you need to use them when you're sharing a room with others).

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Vulture Culture posted:

I've got an old Digi 002 that I'm still using with my 2014 MacBook Pro to record vocals and occasional instruments. (It's going through a dumb daisy chain of IEEE 1394 to FW800, FW800 to Thunderbolt.) The configuration is a little finicky because of the adapters, but I really like the sound coming off of the DACs, which has basically no ground hum whatsoever even on my house's lovely power.

This laptop's on its last legs; it's got a battery bulge (again) and I don't think I can keep sourcing batteries for it forever. This generation of hardware doesn't tend to work with anything more recent than macOS Mojave anyway, so it's time to move on. I'd like another (hopefully inexpensive) interface with 2-4 inputs, but I'd also like to not fall too far away from the nice clean sound of this thing. My other computers have USB-C/TB3/whatever. What's good nowadays?

On one hand, I'm using a MOTU Ultralike mk3 (firewire only released in '06 or '07) on a Mac Studio (apple silicon) running Monterey (via a 2 adapter daisy chain), despite official driver support and MacOS version support being long dead for this device. So it's potentially possible you could still get your 002 working on a newer device with some effort.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure even a lot of entry level interfaces have better DACs now than the 002. DAC quality has gone up a lot since those days. Not quite sure how the super entry model preamps compare to those in terms of available gain and noise, but I have a feeling you'll be surprised with the cheap models these days.

Might want to check out the MOTU M4 (or M2 if you can handle no additional line inputs for future exandability) as they supposedly have great DACs for the price (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/motu-m4-audio-interface-review.15757/). These are also USB-C, though the protocol is still USB2.0. In general USB2.0 still provides plenty of bandwidth for multi-channel real-time audio, so USB-C vs USB-A on these devices is mainly just a difference in connector, rather than protocol. I have a feeling you'd be happy with most interfaces in the $150-300 range (Focusrite offers a lot of different options in this range depending on what feature set you want).

Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 6, 2022

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Any recommendations for a desktop vocal/mic reflector thing? Are they even worth it? Something like this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ReflexionX--se-electronics-reflexion-filter-by-portable-vocal-booth is what I'm looking at. I do have a desktop mic stand already.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Neural plugins are top tier in terms of sound quality IMO, just be aware you're only getting 2-3 amps (and 6-8 FX pedals) per plugin, which each plugin aimed at nailing a smaller subset of tones (sometimes a single player's gamut, e.g. their clean, crunch and gain sounds). Whereas stuff like GuitarRig, Amplitube, BIAS FX, etc., are generally providing a full array of amps and effects that allow for a much wide range of guitar tones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Are there any desk clamp mount mic booms that support enough weight for both a large diaphragm condenser/cradle as well as a large reflection filter (e.g. an RF-X)? By specs it seems like most don't support that much weight. My goal is to set up my vocal recording area next to my desk (rather than using the boom to get a mic in front of my face while sitting at the desk) without taking up any floor footprint for a mic stand (as that's where my pedal board and floor MIDI controller live). One option would be to put the mic and reflection filter on separate booms, but handling everything on a single boom would be ideal.