Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damb Sikoe
Jan 23, 2004
lol, snorlax
We had this problem with our recording computer yesterday that's still a mystery to me. We had a setup that was working fine for one day, then yesterday every recording we made (tried with Live and then Audition just to check) had a fuzzy snap/click/sound on top of it at exactly 1 second intervals. After systematically unplugging everything, moving wires, turning off our cell phones, it still happened. We could only determine that the source was the computer itself. So we've fixed the problem by basically rebuilding a whole new recording computer. New motherboard/processor and hard drive and now it's fine. However, I was wondering if anyone knew the cause of such a problem. Our best guess is that the Windows drive was the problem (5200 or 5600 rpm), but I don't know if that explains the exact 1 second intervals. I'd appreciate any advice in case it happens again in the future.

Basic Setup:
Mics/Inputs > Consoles > M-audio firewire (single 2-channel input) > computer(Ableton Live) > M-Audio outs > Consoles > Headphones/PA/Stereo/Monitors

Computer changes:
< 6000 Rpm drive -> 7200 rpm drive
512 Mb of ram -> 1 Gb

The changes are probably way too vague to make any sort of sense out of but I thought it would be worth a shot to ask. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damb Sikoe
Jan 23, 2004
lol, snorlax
Hi, I need a little help with my sound at the moment, I've got some noise bleeding through that I've never encountered before and the way its happening makes no sense to me. First I'll just give my setup

PCI FireWire card: Rosewill RC-502
M-Audio Firewire solo
2 Mackie MR5 powered monitors

So, if I run the sound out of the balanced outputs on my Firewire Solo to the monitors, I get a constant Beeeep, Beeeeep, Beeeep. The sound is obviously coming from some activity in my computer because if I stick my head in the computer case I hear the same noise coming from somewhere. The thing that is really confusing me is that this only comes through my monitors. I'm listening through studio headphones right now (also plugged into the firewire solo) and there are no problems whatsoever, but I'm assuming the output source is exactly the same. Any ideas or experience in this particular noise and why it might come through my monitors but not my headphones?

In the past I got the same noise from using my on board sound card with unbalanced outputs as well, once again, it only came through my monitors but not my headphones.

The only thing I've thought to do so far was to move my firewire card to a different slot in my computer (further away from my wireless card), which made no difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Nevermind.. it was folding@home.. I don't know why or how, but its fixed.

Damb Sikoe fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 11, 2010

Damb Sikoe
Jan 23, 2004
lol, snorlax

h_double posted:

Are you running the Firewire Solo off of bus power? You might not get the same noise bleedover if you run it off of a direct AC power adapter.

Good Idea but I think I've narrowed it down that overall my computer is not grounded correctly in some way (I have a really old bent up case). All work that involves the GPU ends up coming through my speakers (still not the headphones though).

I'll fix that later but I'm also a little concerned about live 8. We had a studio computer in the past that ran it fine, right now I've got a much better computer running it and everything (especially the video) is going slow. What are the known issues with live 8 and performance, looking online just shows me people complaining but no answers. Does it have a problem with quad core processors (Core i5), perhaps my firewire solo, or just Windows 7?

Running:
Core i5 processor
DDR 3 1333 4 gigs
ATI radeon 4870
Gigabyte motherboard
PCI firewire rc-502
PCI wireless card
disabled (in the BIOS) on board sound card

Sound playback and recording is all fine, just the slow herky video is bugging the hell outta me.