Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
RivensBitch is, unsurprisingly, right on the money. You can get a better drum sound with two mics and some hard work than you can with twenty mics just thrown around haphazardly. I personally start with two mics on the whole kit, adjust them ad nauseum, and only add from there if I really feel like I need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Keefaz posted:

What are folks' opinions on the ART Tube MP Studio preamp? A fella at work is offloading one for �40/$80.

Do not pay $80 for a freaking Art Tube MP. I'm not sure if they're still doing it, but one of the big retailers (Musician's Friend, maybe?) was selling them for $30 brand freaking new a couple of weeks ago. You can frequently find them for $60 or so new on Ebay, and whether they're even worth that is somewhat questionable. I've had good results using them as a bass DI, but really not much else.

If you're looking for a cheap, decent preamp, you might try looking for a used Symetrix SX202 or a Presonus Bluetube. They're a little more expensive (usually in the $125-$175 range), but the difference is massive. I can vouch for the SX202 personally, the Bluetube I'm going on hearsay.

Edit: They don't have them for $30 any more, but they do have them for $45. Paypal's got this thing going on where if you pay for a purchase through some specific group of retailers using their service, they'll give you a $15 rebate, so you could still get it for $30. I'm not saying that you SHOULDN'T buy one, just that you shouldn't buy one for $80 - if you're going to spend money at that level, you're getting close to buying some much better gear.

And here is the Paypal thing. I know they're not popular around these parts (for very good reasons), but there it is for what it's worth.

mofolotopo fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 15, 2007

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
The 828mkII is a great box, you just need to have the right firewire card. I'm not sure that's a good enough reason to avoid it - you can get a card that will work perfectly with it for $35 at Comp USA, and once you do it's a really nice interface. I can vouch for how important the right card is, though; before I bought one of the recommended cards, my 828mkII was almost unusable. Since I bought the card, though, it's been the best interface I've ever owned hands down.

Edit: I guess you probably wouldn't be able to use it with a laptop, though, if that's a problem for you.

mofolotopo fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 23, 2007