Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobless Drunk
Aug 6, 2004

One summer evening drunk to hell I sat there nearly lifeless

Keefaz posted:

Well, the latest SA Rockstar has provided me with more proof--if any were needed--that I don't have a fricken clue what I'm doing. Can anyone point me in the direction of some good home recording websites? I'm not concerned so much about mic placement etc. than I am about how to mix. I can get a good guitar sound, but I poo poo everything up when I have more than 2 tracks.

This was me six months ago. Then I enrolled in a continuing ed recording program at a local university, and it made all the difference in the world. However, before starting that I did a whole lot of self-study, and continue to do so. I'd recommend you pick up a copy of Modern Recording Techniques by David Huber and start lurking gearslutz. Also, there are a couple podcasts that are worth mentioning, Inside Home Recording and Project Studio Network.

There really is no correct way to mix, but just like anything else, once you have a firm grasp of the basics it starts to come together and you can get creative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobless Drunk
Aug 6, 2004

WanderingKid posted:

So what was your experience of your course?

It's been great. It's a CE course at University of the Arts, so the class is small and populated by dedicated adult learners. The instructor is passionate, knowledgeable and friendly, which really makes a big difference in the quality of the class. As for the set up, there's a live room with a drum kit, piano, and a few amps. The mix room has an analog mixing console, tape machine, a couple outboard racks and a ProTools rig running on a G5. We have access to a cabinet full of mics from Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Electrovoice, Royer, basically all the standard recording mics. There's also a giant Moog modular that I wish I could get my hands on, but it's someone's baby.

The course was split into two parts, the first semester focused on mic placement and recording basics, the second semester focused on mixing and the business of running a studio. We mainly record and mix students who perform in jazz groups. The current semester has been fun, because the instructor basically lets us run the show, from booking the clients (students), to setup, recording, and mixing. He's there for guidance, but we pretty much have free reign of the studio for 3 hours every week.

Jobless Drunk fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 3, 2007

Jobless Drunk
Aug 6, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Do I lose anything by not having an outboard preamp? I usually plug my mic directly into the soundcard (or in the new setup, my mixer), and it seems to me that would work fine because I could apply all the preamp processing to the dry signal once it's in the computer. This would also seem to have the added benefit of not making any preamp tweaks permanent to the track.

Mic -> Soundcard -> Plugins
Mic -> Preamp -> Soundcard

Any difference? You decide, at 11!

Yeah, there is a difference. Outside of coloring the sound, the point of a pre-amp is to bring the input gain up to a level where you are getting a satisfactory signal to noise ratio. Yes, after it's recorded, you can make it louder using compression and clean it up a bit with EQ, but ideally, you want the best signal possible coming into your soundcard. The better the signal is going in, the less time you'll have to spend fixing it in the mix later. However, you mentioned that you're using a mixer, which leads me to believe you will be using the onboard pre-amps, in which case you wouldn't need a separate mic pre, unless you wanted it for character.

Jobless Drunk fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 12, 2007

Jobless Drunk
Aug 6, 2004

wixard posted:

The 400f does have 2 instrument inputs on it, on the front plate next to the first 2 mic pre gains. You use them instead of microphones though, not in addition to.

The 400f actually has 4 instrument inputs, but only two of them are on the front panel.

[edit] corrected below, wixard is right. I had instrument/line confused.

Jobless Drunk fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 18, 2007

Jobless Drunk
Aug 6, 2004

Yoozer posted:

Patch Bay :gonk:

This is of interest to me as well. I've had a patch bay sitting unused in my rack for a couple months now. I've used a patch bay, but never set one up.

Should we be running all our ins/outs from our synths to the back of the patch bay (ins=top/outs=bottom) and also connecting the in/out of our interface to the back?

Jobless Drunk
Aug 6, 2004

Quiz Show Scandal posted:

Here's the recording setup I'm thinking about. Any input would be really appreciated.

Apple PowerBook G4, 512MB RAM, 1.5 GHz processor, running ProTools LE. USB input via DigiDesign M-Box 2 for MIDI, 1/4" cords, and XLR.

Thoughts?

What do you plan on recording?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobless Drunk
Aug 6, 2004

cmerepaul posted:

Because they use microphones so much?

Smoke signals are much more effective.