Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schmuckrat
Sep 9, 2004
Hazy with attendant thoughts
Sorry for the simple question, but it is a difficult thing to find the answer to via Google. I have a Presonus Inspire firewire interface, the primary inputs of which are two mic inputs and two Hi-Z inputs. Is it possible to put an external pre-amp between a mic and the mic input, and dial down the internal pre-amp? If so, is this actually an advisable method (i.e. is it worth it), or do I really need a bigger device with XLR line-ins? Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmuckrat
Sep 9, 2004

Swivel Master posted:

An external preamp should output to quarter-inch anyway. So use the Hi-Z input.

Why do you want to do this?

Most preamps I've seen have both XLR and 1/4" outs. I thought a Hi-Z input only accepted high impedance things like guitars, and would work poorly on, say, a preamplified condenser microphone? Or is the 1/4" output on a preamp a high impedance signal? The reason I want to do this - or at least am looking into whether I can do it - is so I can use a higher-quality preamp than the Presonus one. I grant that it's probably not worth it, but what I mainly want to know is whether it is acceptable to plug a preamp into a microphone input or the Hi-Z input, since the preamp outputs a line level signal, which I thought was different from a mic signal.

It is really a matter of knowing the electronics behind the signal chain I suppose, of which I am fairly ignorant. At the very least, the internet tells me that "One can get distortion by plugging an XLR +4dB line level signal into an XLR microphone input", which I guess answers my question.

Schmuckrat
Sep 9, 2004
Great, thank you both. I guess I won't concern myself with external preamps for now - it wasn't so urgent, I just wanted to get it figured out.