Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swivel Master
Oct 10, 2004

Floating in much the same way that bricks don't.

RivensBitch posted:

:words:

Oh. Cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swivel Master
Oct 10, 2004

Quiz Show Scandal posted:

Let me ask a much more refined version of my original question - I'm still a bit confused, so my apologies.

With ProTools LE and an MBox 2, will I be able to get a Rhodes piano sound? And yes, I do have a MIDI keyboard if necessary. If the answer to the question is yes, how easy or not easy would this be?

ProTools LE generally comes with Reason Adapted, which should have a Rhodes sound. You'll have to learn to use ReWire to get the programs to talk to each other - open ProTools LE, THEN open Reason Adapted, and make an instrument track in PTLE with Rewire selected as input or something like that... I'm rusty on the details but there should be detailed tutorials somewhere (so don't ask here - use Google.)

Swivel Master
Oct 10, 2004

hedgecore posted:

Right now I am trying to mix horns for my band's EP and they just do not sound right. The trumpet sounds too clean; how would I bring out the brassiness? (I know two posts up I posted a guide myself but further listening shows that it is still not entirely right). Also, any guides for panning? I have 2 tracks of trumpet and 2 tracks of trombone but I can't get them to sit quite right.

If you recorded it with poor equipment, you won't be able to 'bring out' the brassy detail if it's not there to begin with. Sweep the EQ, like the guide says. That's pretty much all you can do. If you find what you're looking for then you've got it... if you can't find it, your recording sucks and there's nothing you can do about it.

As for panning, just listen to your favorite albums. There are tons of ways to do it. I'd suggest trumpets moderate left and right and trombones more subtle left and right - that should spread it out, provided they're all playing the same rhythm most of the time.

Also, use compression.

Swivel Master
Oct 10, 2004

WanderingKid posted:

So I happen to use this trick alot for corrective EQ - where I don't want to cause comb filtering or phase smearing and I just want to nuke an amplitude spike because its annoying me. Linear Phase EQs are great for that.

Staying out of this discussion but seconding this one :D

"No! Bad harmonic! Be gone!"

Swivel Master
Oct 10, 2004

RivensBitch posted:

logic is MUCH more expensive

Logic Express is 100 bucks. If you're resourceful (go to a college bookstore that sells Apple software) you can get Pro for $300-$350.

I use Logic Pro and like it a lot. A friend had Cubase SX and I used that quite a bit and didn't like it a whole lot. It had a few plugins I liked, and I like how the dynamics plugin is integrated, but aside from that Logic's plugins sound better and are easier to use.

Logic's interface is hard to wrap your head around at first... you'll probably have to spend some time making templates for yourself based on how you like to work and what you're used to. Once you've got that down, you should like it.

Swivel Master
Oct 10, 2004

WanderingKid posted:

. I can't explain why a Distressor sounds so good or why its so satisfying to use. But I suppose if you could do that easily Empirical Labs wouldn't charge an armful for it.

Get a LiquidMix :D

I know it probably doesn't sound AS good, but I've never used a distressor - at any rate, as soon as I loaded up the distressor setting on it, I thought "oh THIS is why people like it so much!"

But in regards to controls and mouse and all that... the LiquidMix has a pretty nice control surface... though the knobs are stepped along with the settings (something about the 'convolution' part of the EQ/compression modeling). The hardware is fun to use, but since I'm used to just dealing with everything via mouse and keyboard, I just leave the Liquidmix plugged in and sitting off to the side.

(Disclaimer: You can turn off the stepping by putting the unit in 'free' mode, which interpolates between convolutions or something like that - I imagine it's not as accurate, but it's a lot more flexible. Also, I haven't used free mode yet because I'm still getting used to having 40 compressors on hand.)

Swivel Master
Oct 10, 2004

wixard posted:

It pays a shitload better than the studio ever did, at least for me. I just got a check last week for a 2 day project that I got $56/hr for. :D

Hell yes. I want to do more of these gigs.

I made $1350 by working about 37 hours in three days doing corporate a/v once. I'd go through that hell several times a month for that kind of money if I could find the work :D

Swivel Master
Oct 10, 2004

luminalflux posted:

We've had at least three broken grilles and 2 broken bodies on our 57's

Then again, we rent to college students...

I have never seen someone break the body of a 57. And I've attended or worked at probably 200 rock shows in the past five years.

That said, if it was any other microphone, it would probably be worse (except maybe a kick mic, those things could be used as weapons - especially the beta 52)

Swivel Master
Oct 10, 2004

Slowfuse posted:

Hey guys I am also in the market for a PC IO/soundcard/AD converter.
Had a good browse around, here are some things:

0 latency / independent CPU.
0 noise
a midi input or two would be rather nice
Must be PC, couldn't give a gently caress if it's PCI, USB, Firewire, whatever works.
Win Xp compatible.
Something I can just plug in to record 8 channels on Logic Plat for PC, 0 latency audi input and midi for Reason etc.
XLR and Phatom power support etc.
ooooh 5.1 output would be nice, why not?
gently caress budget too, what works?

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about professional level PC interfaces as most of my studio work is with Macs, and every studio seems to use them. I despise Macs, so it's not an option

Honestly, this post has a giant red I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT sign on it. The fact that you despise Macs alone... I can understand kind of not liking them, but I know no reasonable person who has worked professionally in ANY media field who can't stand using Macs OR PC's. Windows XP can annoy the poo poo out of me, but I've never had my own XP PC where I could disable all the annoying crap and make it my own - and I know it's possible.

Aside from that, like others have said, unless you've got tens of thousands of dollars to spare.. your requests are totally TOTALLY unreasonable. Aside from the hardware/software support issues you'd get from an old version of Logic, 0 latency, 5.1 support, and 0 noise (no such thing) are all rare and expensive features. I don't know exactly what you mean by 'independent CPU,' but I'm guessing you mean you want DSP processing or somesuch thing in your interface... then you're looking at a lot of interfaces I'm not familiar with OR a Protools HD system, which means get ready to start writing lots of commas in your check book.

I have a suggestion: LEARN TO USE A MAC! If you like Logic so much, go buy Logic 7 Pro and a nice new Intel Mac. Logic 6 and 7 (I'm pretty sure 5 is the last PC version) are WAY better than everything before them, less buggy, with some much better features. I'm sure that with your own Mac to play around with and customize you'll find it very nice. I understand the problem with getting used to an OS on somebody else's system where they may have it pimped out or heavily customized... but when its your own it's much easier.

And like has been said about ten thousand times in this thread, it's not a 'sound card' - that's more the terminology for consumer level audio. In addition, an 'audio interface' may or may not have A/D features or preamps... so depending on what features you absolutely demand, you may end up with separate interface, preamps, and A/D (and a much smaller bank account.)

Swivel Master
Oct 10, 2004

Boner Slam posted:

The i5 sounds better on snare :colbert:

That's what Audix claims. But I've heard it's also a major durability issue and that i5's break easily when hit with drum sticks... so I haven't tried it yet.

Swivel Master
Oct 10, 2004

wixard posted:

That was a great explanation. Seriously. Thank you. You rule.

Swivel Master
Oct 10, 2004

Blackadder posted:

:words: :words:

Samples. Please. This sounds so cool.

Swivel Master
Oct 10, 2004

t_rf posted:

4. Cables to connect these things: You will probably use RCA to go between interface and preamp, and XLR between microphone and preamp.

Wrong.

It will most likely be quarter-inch/phono/'balanced' cables going from interface to preamp (if they're separate). RCA is mostly for consumer-level stereo equipment and is rarely used in circumstances where there might only be one channel.

Swivel Master
Oct 10, 2004

t_rf posted:

I stand corrected - I really don't have experience with higher-end equipment, but the cheaper "prosumer" interfaces that I do know well will often use RCA, in addition to or replacing TRS.

Please find me a standalone preamp that outputs to RCA (which is what you originally said).

edit: Can we please all keep in mind that there are people here who absolutely know what they're talking about, so if you aren't sure, please don't chime in with incredibly detailed information you have a feeling may or may not be correct. If a question goes unanswered for a while and I think I know the answer, I'll generally preface with "Well I'm not 100% sure, but..."

I think that helps keep the misinformation in this thread to a minimum.

Swivel Master fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 12, 2007

Swivel Master
Oct 10, 2004

LetoAtreides posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1280460

Swivel Master
Oct 10, 2004

LetoAtreides posted:

hey, how can I tell if my mic is a condenser mic or not? I need to know if I need phantom power for my digital audio interface. My parents have this mic, its supposedly pretty nice so I plan to use it but is there a way to tell if it is a condenser mic just by looking at it? I don't have the manuals or anything, the mic is at least 15 years old.

Maybe brand and model number and use the google.

Swivel Master
Oct 10, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

If it was meant for use in karaoke I'm going to say it is either dynamic or electret, unless your karaoke machine supplies phantom power.

My guess would also be that it is a total piece of poo poo. (And not a condensor.)

LetoAtreides posted:

The mic I'm going to get, as I've mentioned, is at least 15 years old, just sort of a mic my parents bought a long time ago for karaoke. They also bought it in Hong Kong. I don't have the mic with me now, so I can't look it up, but I really doubt I'll find it online. I thought maybe you could tell the difference by taking it apart or something.

But hey, you know, maybe providing all the detail known about it in the initial post would have been, I don't know, helpful?

Certainly takes less time than taking apart the mic :wtf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swivel Master
Oct 10, 2004

nrr posted:

or would it be more worth my while to start saving up for a propper audio interface if I want to get even a slightly decent recording?

That.