Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.
I've got some MIDI performance data in Reason that I'd like to import to Pro Tools for further tweaking and playing around with (the MIDI editor in Reason is incredibly basic), but I can't figure out how to get the data from one to the other. Is this possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

nimper posted:

Can you save the data as a MIDI file in Reason? That could work if Protools opens *.mid files.

That did the trick! Thanks, I can't believe I didn't try that :doh:

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

I'd like to buy a really nice condenser mic for some home recording, but I don't have much working experience with mics. I'll probably be recording a wide variety of things, mostly vocals, but possibly also bass, guitar, ambiences, SFX and so on. So I'm looking for one that is switchable between cardiod and omni, with any other modes being a big plus. Also I'd like one that does not color the sound too much and is not meant for any particular instrument.

I tried a couple out and I liked three of them:

- Audio-Technica AT-4050 ($581)
- Shure KSM-44 ($781)
- Neumann TLM-126 ($1915)

Since it will probably be my only microphone for a while, I'd like one that is very good, even if it means paying a little more. But as I said, I don't have much experience with mics. And it's hard to really get a feel for one until you bring it home and use it with all your own gear. So, any thoughts on these mics would be really appreciated! I would also love recommendations for similar mics.

Also, I was wondering if more money generally means a better mic. I don't mind shelling out for the Neumann if it's really worth it, but I've heard that mics are more of a personal opinion kind of thing, and that it's more about finding the mic that suits your music rather than the "best" mic.

Last thing, when buying a mic I shouldn't have to pay list price, right? Do they expect me to bargain for a lower price? What's the best way to get a good price? I'm no good at haggling :(

Thanks!

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Swivel Master posted:

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but you need to connect EVERYTHING to the back of the patchpay, top or bottom. Maybe inputs on top, outputs on the bottom, whatever. Then, you use the little patch cord to plug on device into another. If mixer output 1 is going to the bottom 1 and compressor in is going to top jack 1, take a little patch cord and plug one end into the output jack and the other into the compressor jack.

Everything goes directly through the patchbay from back to front - the point is so you can route all the signals using the little patch cords.

This is my understanding as well. Plug everything into the back as Swivel Master suggested, inputs on the top, outputs on the bottom. Connect them in your most used setup, then you can make whatever temporary changes you need by connecting with the patch cords on the front of the bay. Also, it looks like it's half-normalized, which means (IIRC) that you can plug the patch cords only halfway in to send the signal to it's original path as well as the new path.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

nimper posted:

I just have a quick question..

Why is it that most mixes have the drums panned as if the listener was sitting behind the drumkit? Wouldn't it make more sense to pan the drums as if they were facing the listener?

I've wondered this too, but I've heard that it's because the dummer wants it to sound like he hears it while playing. Since he probably created and performed the beat, I guess it's his call creatively.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

TedStorm posted:

alright, revising question...

if im getting a lot of low end through a condenser mic even with bass drop off switch, are there any suggestions for getting a more consistent frequency response?

What are you recording? The simplest solution might be to just move the mic a little further away from the source, this can help reduce the low end. I think it's called the proximity effect? Other than that, I don't know. Maybe you can stick an EQ in before whatever you're recording to.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

I'm thinking of making some DIY acoustic treatment for my apartment, nothing fancy as I don't really have the funds for it. Probably just insulation and the like. Any thoughts on inexpensive materials or construction tips? The only thing is that it all needs to be removable, since I don't own the apartment and will be moving sooner or later. Also ideas that don't leave an excessive amount of holes in the wall would be great.

Right now I'm basically thinking of thin sheets of plywood with a thick layer of insulation and covered in some kind of cloth material to keep it all in and look pretty. Not sure about attaching it to the walls/ceiling though. Would this probably work?

Edit: On re-examination, this question doesn't really belong in this thread. But, I guess I'll leave it just in case someone wants to answer :D

Elder fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 3, 2007

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

nimper posted:

Do you want soundproofing or are you interested in using your apartment as a recording space? If the latter then you might want to re-think your plan.

A little of both, but mostly soundproofing. I'll be recording mostly vocals, so having a nice, resonant space isn't that important. Basically I want a space where I can

1. Sing as loudly as I need without pissing off the neighbors
2. Mix properly

If I can do this without dropping the cash for the professional acoustic treatment it would be great. Of course I understand that it will be far from ideal, but I figure that something is better than nothing. Anyways, it's just something I've been considering. If anyone has tried this, I would love to hear about the process and results.

And that's a very good guide, thanks for the link. I have an understanding of the basics but it's been a little bit so it's a good refresher.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

As far as I can tell, Pro Tools will not work on an x64 OS, right? Is there any indication that DigiDesign will update PT anytime soon for use on x64?

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

ryblogg posted:

I am running protools 7.1.something on my 64bit core 2 duo imac. It runs fairly well with no major hiccups. There is a newer version(7.3 I believe) but the stooges want you to pay to upgrade after i just spent $1000AUD on this system. Get bent I say.

Edit: x64 is the same is 64bit right?

Yeah, x64 is just fancy talk for 64bit. I wonder if it will run on Windows x64, as I've got a Core 2 Duo as well and was thinking about upgrading. The DigiDesign website says that it won't work with x64, but I don't know if that means it won't run at all, or just can't take advantage of all 64 bits or what. But I guess if it on your imac than maybe it will...hmmm.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

I'm thinking about buying a really nice Reverb Processor, but I've never really used one before so I'm not quite sure where to begin. Mainly, I'd like to know if different units have different sounds (in terms of mood, color, feel, etc.) or is one more or less going to sound the same as another? Does a higher price tag just mean better parts and more options, or is there a big sound difference?

Also, are there Reverb Units that are preferable for someone who is working almost entirely in the digital realm, or does it really matter? Any recommendations would be great, I'd be willing to drop as much as $1000 if it was really worth it. I would only need 2 ins/outs, and the more settings, options, and customization the better.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

WanderingKid posted:

Reverbs

Thanks, I'll check out those convolution reverbs and see how they sound. I've tried a couple software reverbs but wasn't really satisfied with the sound, and I've heard that hardware reverb really is worth the money.

As far as what kind of reverb I'd like, well...I'd prefer all of them. That's another reason I was looking at a hardware reverb processor, so I would have the option of any kind of (emulated) reverb I wanted.

WanderingKid posted:

I'd do all of this processing digitally and after the recording is in your DAW - I'd rather not perform the extra AD/DA conversion stage and ship a digital signal outboard and back in. But I'm fairly certain most of these units have digital I/O so it should all be good.

This was my concern, going from digital to analog then back again. I wasn't sure what kind of problems that might cause with the re-sampling and what not. So I guess I would want one that had a digital I/O, so I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the info.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Laws posted:

As for an interface, since I will be using at a maximum four inputs and my computer currently does not have firewire capabilities, USB seems to be clearly indicated. The Guitar Center tech seemed to want to steer me away from the Digidesign MBoxes due to ProTools being Protools (having used no professional stuff I have no preference for software yet), though the MBox 2 seems to fit my parameters. The M Audio Fast Track Pro also seems to match my needs. Both are 2-4 input USB interfaces and both are recommended in the first post. Also, if that Fast Track Pro and the MXL mics are a good idea for my needs, that's less than $500 for a classical guitar recording setup, which I keep thinking is too cheap and I must have therefore screwed up in my assumptions or reading somewhere.

ProTools gets a lot of flack, most of which it deserves, but there is a reason it's the standard today. Basically, it's got a simple, clean, and bright interface...it's easy to learn and easy to use. I use it because I learned on it, and while I have tried other DAWs, and realize that they are better in many ways, I just don't have enough reason right now to switch.

It can be glitchy and stubborn, among other things, but for your purposes I would recommend it. Since you will be using it for very simple purposes, you should be fine. If you get an MBox, though, you might look into getting some dedicated Pre-amps for your condensers.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

RivensBitch posted:

The best deal out there on high-end reverb processing is powercore + the VSS3 and DVR2 plugins from TC Electronic. It's the exact same two reverbs that are in the system 6000, but without the $10,000 pricetag.

That looks pretty sweet, how does it compare soundwise to a good convolution reverb?

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

WanderingKid posted:

I am so consistantly impressed with the results that when I get home, I'd like to throw some soundclips your way to demonstrate just how awesome chain convo plugins are.

I'd really love to hear these samples, I've been playing around with Convolution reverbs and it's a really neat thing. But I haven't gotten into chaining multiple impulses yet.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

I want to buy a dedicated HDD for samples, but what's better: SATA 150 at 10,000 RPM or SATA 300 at 7200 RPM?

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

nimper posted:

Get the bigger hard drive. The 10k RPM will be really loud, possibly contaminating your samples.

Yeah, I was worried about the volume, and possibly heat as well, from the 10k drive. I guess 7200 should be fine, as that's what I'm using now with no problems, thanks.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

I'm looking for a nice pre-amp, to be used mainly with an AKG C414. But, I don't really know anything about them. Any suggestions?

Something simple is fine, 1 channel, very quiet and clean. I'd like to keep it well under a grand if possible. Thanks!

Elder fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 20, 2007

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

What you did should have worked, what did it sound like after you reversed the phase and mixed it back in?

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

My roommate got an an Alesis io/26 and had a bunch of problems with it. It was a firewire issue, because he was on a laptop which had the 4-pin connectors he would consistently get little pops which would be recorded onto his tracks. He tried everything: driver updates, getting an express card with 6-pin ports, even sending the drat thing in for repairs. Nothing worked and he eventually took it back.

However, it seemed to work fine on my desktop though..

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Slowfuse posted:

By the way, in some of my mobile recording experiences different houses sometimes created pops in the recording, which we would attribute to electrical interference probably from other household appliances / electrical set ups.

You're right about this, and it may have played a part in the issues we had with the Alesis. We live in a very old house which, as far as we can figure out, has no ground at all. Most of the outlets are two prong, and even the three prong outlets seem ungrounded. We have a lot of problems which are probably ground loops as well as little power drop-outs. It's really a pain in the rear end, and we have no clue how to fix it.

On the other hand he replaced the Alesis with a MOTU 8pre and it's working much better. There are a few minor things but nothing too serious.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Slowfuse posted:

MOTU HD896 or Alesis 26/i0
PC - Core 2 dual core processor, 4GB RAM
Some kind of supplemental MIDI interface hardware.

4GB of RAM is unfortunately excessive, since 32-bit operating systems can't handle more than 3GB. Furthermore if you're using Windows XP, then you are limited to 2GB of RAM for any one program. This may not be an issue with Vista or Macs, I'm not sure. Anyways if you haven't purchased the RAM yet you might be better off getting 3GB and spending the money elsewhere.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Slowfuse posted:

Haha, too late. Oh man, if this is true I guess I'm basically hosed.
Maybe I can use it like a coffee table for a 4 track instead?

It's no big deal really, I have 4GB of RAM, it doesn't cause any problems. But, it doesn't help anything either. 1GB of your RAM will simply go unused until you upgrade to a x64 system. If you'll be using a lot of virtual instruments you can hit a RAM ceiling, this is something I deal with a bit. It's a pain in the rear end but not impossible to work around. Don't worry about it until you get there, it might never even be a problem.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

ReDiNmYhEaD posted:

edit.
Although looking at the most recent version of ProTools, it doesn't look like they have Vista support yet(if you're buying a new laptop from dell). It was my understanding that WinXP would only register up to 2 gigs of ramm. Although the rumblings for protools is that a Vista release will be available in the winter.

This is true, your limit is 2 gigs while you're running a 32-bit OS. But, you will eventually use 4 gigs so if you have the budget you might as well go for it.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

In Pro Tools, is it possible to automate panning in a parabolic curve using the pencil tool? It's not letting me for some reason, but I can use it with all the other settings (line, random, etc.)

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Yoozer posted:

No, actually it's 4GB. XP will only see 3.5 of that, generally. There are tricks to expand this - see http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/77909774/m/119002205831 for instance. YMMV. I have 4GB installed and 3.5 is detected, but at least 3.5 is still more than 2, so it's OK with me.

It's not like my audio gear has any goddamn 64-bit drivers anyway :argh: (E-mu, Mackie)

What I mean to say is, 32-bit Windows will only allocate 2 gigs of RAM for any one program. You can have up to 4GB, that's true, but you can only use half of that for running Pro Tools or Cubase or whatever. You could still use the other half for anything you wanted though.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Rashomon posted:

Another question: When I "bounce" the songs I've recorded to disk from Pro Tools, I can only do it in .wav format because my silly Mbox didn't come with a code to let me convert to mp3s. But when I try to use other conversion software to convert those .wavs to .mp3s, I get an error and the software says it can't recognize the codec. This has happened with both the Windows audio converter and another piece of software I own (Total Video Converter). I tried changing all the settings I know how to in Pro Tools, but still no luck. Help!

You should try using RazorLame, it's generally regarded to be the best mp3 converter in terms of quality. It's pretty easy to use and shouldn't require any additional codecs. It's always worked great for me in the past.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Cut Like Knives posted:

Sorry if this has been addressed before - I'm actually trying to solve this for my roommate but I'm stumped too.

He recently got a copy of Battery 3. When he loads up a kit from the library, the program does its thing - displays the progress bar and all the samples being loaded in. The samples appear present in the cells (when you highlight a cell it displays the wave in the editor) but nothing plays back. There's just no output; clicking a cell or playing a pattern yields nothing. Any ideas? Thanks!

Are you using it standalone or as a plug-in?

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Anjow posted:

Not entirely sure if this is the right place to post this, but I am positive it doesn't require its own thread:

I'm really new to music making, I know bugger all about it, I've got Reason and I'm trying to recreate some Aphex Twin tracks from Analord (so nice and simple) in order to learn the ropes. For now I only have Reason but I will get Sonar when I can work out how to get it from the uni.

What I'm after is some way of telling what the tempo of the original tracks is. I'm playing them in Winamp on another computer, on which I can install software. Does anyone know how I can do this easily?

Thanks.

I don't know of any software that will do this (though I'm sure they exist), but you can do it yourself pretty easily. Just play the song while looking at a clock. As soon as the seconds hand hits 12, start counting the number of beats. Do this for a 15 seconds, until the hand hits 3. Multiply the beats you counted by 4, and you have your beats per minute. It's pretty accurate, and you can always make slight adjustments by comparing it against the original song.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

What causes certain tracks in Pro Tools to be delayed? How do you go about fixing this?

Elder fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Dec 7, 2007

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Ben and Stew posted:

Like when you're directly monitoring your sound? For instance, you're playing guitar and when you hit a note the sound is delayed in the monitors. Go to the Playback Options (or whatever it's called) and decrease the H/W buffer size.

I don't mean latency, it's a delay that is specific to each track. I did a little digging and it turns out that the delay is caused by certain plugins, and can be fixed either by nudging the resulting audio file back or adding the same delay (ProTools has a built in plugin to do this) to all the other tracks.

What mystifies me is why this happens sometimes and not others. I just started a new song, and it's got about 5 tracks, with about 2 or 3 plugins per track. In older sessions I've had far more tracks and plugins and never had this delay problem. It's really weird.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Ben and Stew posted:

Heh, oh Pro Tools what new and innovative ways to mess with our recordings will you think of next? Are you using LE/M-Powered?

Yep, I'm using LE. I don't doubt that this is not an issue if you've spend thousands of dollars to fix it you're using HD.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

RivensBitch posted:

protools has automatic plugin delay compensation in HD, and back when I was at GC the digidesign rep told me it was actually built into LE as well but was not documented (this was back in the 6.4 days).

I'm fairly certain protools LE will automatically account for this, but maybe I'm confusing plugin delay compensation with delay compensation while recording. I bet flock-o-werewolves would know.

That's pretty interesting, although I don't think it's built into LE (at least the never versions). The only reason I noticed there was a delay was because I heard it.

I'm still confused about what exactly causes the delay. I know that it's the result of the time it takes the plugin to process the audio, but it seems kind of random. In your example you have one plugin, and it's just a compressor. It's not doing anything more elaborate then the EQ you have on the next channel.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Al2001 posted:

Hi everyone. I need some very basic advice, any help appreciated. I've read the FAQ but not all of this thread, so sorry if I'm just repeating things that have already been covered.

I think it looks like a fine starter kit. Does your guitar have any pickups? Because if not then you'll need another mic to record both the guitar and your vocals. Unless you just record them together with the same mic, which is fine but it gives you less control. Cubase is a great program and you computer should be fine with the limited number of tracks you'll be using.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

RivensBitch posted:

actually the C4 compressor is a linear phase multiband compressor made by waves, whereas the EQ on the next channel is made by digidesign. C4 was the only plugin I had that actually caused a delay.

I think it's just the complexity of the plugin and how it's written. Which plugins are you using that are causing delays?

It looks like SoundShifter is the culprit:

Which I guess makes sense, I can see how pitchshifting is a pretty intensive process.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

I have another question...I've been looking for ways to make everything run more smoothly on my machine, and I've been thinking lately that a dual-boot setup might help. That way I could have one OS dedicated to audio - no internet, no anti-virus, etc. Then the other one could be for everything else that I use my computer for.

Is there any reason this would not work? Would this actually help things out like I think it would?

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Steiler Drep posted:

Bump? I really need help with this and I keep trying to find info but I can't find anything useful.

My guess is that the .dll file was installed in the wrong place, so Logic doesn't know you've installed it. I'm not familiar with either program, but if you look in the directory where you installed Tunetrack you should find the .dll file. If you move this file to the directory where Logic looks for your VSTs, it should fix things.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Steiler Drep posted:

Ah, sorry, forgto to say, I'm running in OS X. Would this .dll file be the equivalent to a .component file?

Hmm, now you're talking about two unfamiliar programs on an unfamiliar OS. Not sure I can really help you with this one. The only thing I could recommend would be to uninstall it and re-install.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Sounds like you just need a cheap mic pre-amp to boost the level of your audio to line. Then you can plug it into the line-in port on your sound card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

I'm going to go check out monitors pretty soon, and I thought it might be polite to tip the guy who's setting up the speakers for me. Would this be weird or insulting? I don't think he makes any money from the sales because he's just a tech guy, and he redirects people to a salesman when they're done. I was there before and felt kind of bad because he does all this work and someone else gets the commission. Also, how much would be appropriate?