Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Huntsman
Dec 15, 2004

This one is for all my little friends, you know who you are...
Well I am using a PC and a MOTU 8pre. I needed firewire so I bought a PCI card, however even though it is supposed to be plug and play it doesn't seem to be working. Any tips on getting firewire straight on a PC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Huntsman
Dec 15, 2004

Yoozer posted:

MOTU recommends using a Firewire card with a Texas Instruments chipset. Does it have that?

No but for anyone that is looking I found one...

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=1394B-HOST-CARD&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Controllers/Adapters-_-FireWireAdapters-_-1394B-HOST-CARD

The Huntsman
Dec 15, 2004

Is 180 bucks a good price for a matched pair of NT5's? If so would they be useful for recording things like mandolin and violin?

EDIT: I know they are mainly for drum overhead/hihat/splash cymbals but I don't have a set and if I can use a great deal on mics I am all over that.

The Huntsman fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 27, 2007

The Huntsman
Dec 15, 2004

LetoAtreides posted:

hey, how can I tell if my mic is a condenser mic or not? I need to know if I need phantom power for my digital audio interface. My parents have this mic, its supposedly pretty nice so I plan to use it but is there a way to tell if it is a condenser mic just by looking at it? I don't have the manuals or anything, the mic is at least 15 years old.

Get an interface with phantom power. Down the road you'll be happy you did.