Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

pnihill2000 posted:

I have a cheap "Logitech USB Desktop Microphone". Which doesn't work for Linux, can anyone point me to a Linux compatible recording devise?

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/index.php?vendor=All#matrix ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Slimchandi posted:

I have a question regarding USB soundcards on behalf of my brother. He's using an Edirol UA25 USB sound card with a Novatech laptop (XP). Whenever he has his external hard drive plugged in, the audio skips and stutters, even if it is played directly from his laptop. I think this is to do with a latency issue over USB (had a similar thing with my PodXT) but that is where my knowledge ends. I've tried searching for help and came across ASIO4ALL, but this seems to be in reference to latency issues when trying to record and monitor at the same time, which isn't the case here, just playback. Would installing ASIO4ALL help, or am I trying to solve a different problem?

The Edirol device should come with its own ASIO drivers, so assuming you're using those ASIO4ALL probably won't help. Check your ASIO buffer sizes, i have an Edirol FA-66 and the configuration utility is in the control panel.

Smaller ASIO buffer size = lower latency but is more CPU intensive. I generally work with the lowest setting, but as I add in more stuff and the CPU load increases I have to increase the ASIO buffer size so I can get skip free playback.

See if anything else is chewing up CPU. Also, I've heard that using a USB hub can impact on performance, as you get 2-4 devices using 1 usb port which means the USB bus gets too busy to handle the load leading to skips/stutters. So if you're using a USB hub, see if eliminating that helps.