Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CHRISTS FOR SALE
Jan 14, 2005

"fuck you and die"
I need some help with my concept recording setup, because I don't know if this will work or not and I'd like to know it will work before shelling out the money for monitors or an interface. Here's what I want to do:

I have two computers in my apartment, a desktop PC I usually use for gaming/Cubase/Nuendo, and an Apple MacBook Pro laptop, which I usually use for IM/email/Digital Performer. I designed my conceptual recording setup to be compatible with both computers.

The setup revolves around my Behringer EuroRack UB-1204FX mixer. Each computer's Audio Out will be plugged into a track on the mixer, and by simply hitting the Mute button I can switch seamlessly between each computers sound, or better yet, combine the two if I don't have enough processing power to run a composition on just one machine. The mixer has three 2-channel outputs: Main Mix, Alt 3-4, and Control Room. Either Main Mix or Alt 3-4 will connect to a USB interface (probably an M-Audio MobilePre USB), and the Control Room will be connected to studio monitors that I will be purchasing soon. I may also plug headphones in the Phones jack from time to time.

Basically, I want the computer's internal sound card to remain the default playback device, and the USB interface to be the default recording device. Is this possible? Am I using the right tools?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHRISTS FOR SALE
Jan 14, 2005

"fuck you and die"

Swivel Master posted:

I would say this is a ... stupid idea.
I figured. I'm still going to test it just to see how it would sound, but I bet I'll get a thin sound from both computers. :)

Also...

Someone from the KVR forums told me that my mixer (EuroRack UB1204-FX PRO) already has Invisible Mic Preamps on all the channels, which I later confirmed by reading the manual. My question is: Do I need a USB interface with a preamp (like the MobilePre USB for instance), or can I opt for one without a preamp and still get high-quality sound? Also, do they even make USB interfaces without preamps?

CHRISTS FOR SALE
Jan 14, 2005

"fuck you and die"
Hey guys, I've been talking to some of my friends and they have been really talking up the MOTU Ultralite. Well, I checked Sweetwater and apparently I can get the MOTU 8pre for the same price.

Does anybody here own a MOTU 8pre? How's it workin for you? :)

CHRISTS FOR SALE
Jan 14, 2005

"fuck you and die"
I'm looking to upgrade my current mic situation to something that doesn't make me sound like I'm singing into a tin can.

For that, I turn to the Neumann TLM 102, based on the recommendation of a Guitar Center employee that I spoke to for a few hours about speakers and microphones and such.

Am I making the right decision? My idea is to have this mic for my own tenor/baritone/bass vocals and possibly some brass/woodwind instruments in the beginning, although I also want to buy a ribbon mic for recording horns (suggestions on some of those would also be helpful!).