Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crystal Pepsi
Feb 1, 2005

remember ME?!

Keefaz posted:

It seems I accidentally posted this in the old thread:

What can people tell me about compression? I'm really just messing about here, but I'm running my guitar through a Line6 Pod, directly into an Audigy and recording with Cool Edit Pro. One problem I noticed this evening was a very nice clean part I put down sounded really lovely when I played it back as quiet notes seemed to drop out so some of the nuances got lost against the backing. Am I right in thinking that I need to use a compressor/expander he

You can try this, and it will work to some extent, but keep in mind that a compressor will also make the background noises louder as well as your instrumentation. Best bet might just be to play louder, but try compression and see how well it works.

Unless by 'backing' you mean the other parts of the song, in which case compression should work like a charm.

Crystal Pepsi fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 1, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystal Pepsi
Feb 1, 2005

remember ME?!

Pablo Gigante posted:

What's a good setup for recording drums? Is it best to actually have each individual drum/cymbal mic'ed, or can I get away with say, micing the kick drum and having one or two other mics for the snares/toms/cymbals?

Unless you really spend all your time recording bands and being a huge engineering nerd, keep it simple. D112 on kick, 57 on snare, and have a mono overhead pointing down at the whole kit from a centered position.

Recording drums well is possibly the hugest pain in the rear end ever. The more mics you add the harder it gets. Let someone else have that headache when you're ready to head into the studio.

Crystal Pepsi
Feb 1, 2005

remember ME?!

Swivel Master posted:

mono overhead will probably not sound particularly good.

*koff* beatles *koff* stones *koffkoff* ACDC *HAUGHKOF* Zepplin

excuse me, I have a cold :awesome:

Lumi posted:

Edit: Also, the dudes at Long and McQuade told me

You could've just stopped there....

Those dickheads dont know their arse from a Tuschel connector. The only knowledgeable person there quit about 6 months ago.

First of all, an SM58 IS an SM57. Just with a spitguard over the top. Same body for the most part, and exactly the same internals. It sounds a *little* different, but is 95% the same microphone.

Secondly: A some condensers are better for recording *some* things, not all. The L+M guy is just trying to get you to spend money you might not need to. Of course though, if you went and dropped $800 on a nice mid-level condenser, it would be a great tool to add to your box. If you want another 57 though, get one, they are great utility mics, and super cheap. You can't really have enough of them IMO.

Thirdly: You're in Vancouver apparently, pm me. I've got lots of tricks to get good deals from L+M people. Plus I build custom cables and gear for hella less than retail.

Crystal Pepsi fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 9, 2007

Crystal Pepsi
Feb 1, 2005

remember ME?!

Lumi posted:

stuff

Ok maybe he wasnt trying to upsell you... but he still doesnt know what he's talking about. Any condenser you can get for sub $100 is going to be a piece of crap, and that spitguard thing doesnt really make much of a difference, unless you're a rapper. And then only because it looks more 'hiphop'.

my msn is antiguru ATNOSPAMMY hotmail DOTTT com fyi

Crystal Pepsi
Feb 1, 2005

remember ME?!

Swivel Master posted:

use stereo overheads arr arr arr
It's still a valid point because those recordings sound amazing sonically AND in terms of the talent used. Sure Bonham would still be Bonham through a laptop speaker, but the recording would still be poo poo, which is my point, that these recordings are considered to be among the best ever made. "when the levee breaks" was done with a mono overhead ribbon Beyer M160.

Aside from that, the megaproducers/engineers in charge of these albums thought it would be just fine to use a mono overhead, and it was!

Thirdly, stereo overheads cause phase issues and accentuate the sound of the room, and aside from 3 or 4 people here with access to good drum rooms, that's probably not a good thing.

Crystal Pepsi fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 9, 2007

Crystal Pepsi
Feb 1, 2005

remember ME?!

phunge posted:

Does anyone have any specific recommendations for entry-level compressors?

The DBX 160 line of compressors is a great line that is very affordable. You can sometimes pick them up used for $50, but you'll see them in million dollar studios.

I'd suggest the DBX 160, 160X or 166, but almost anything in the 160 range is very usable.

Crystal Pepsi
Feb 1, 2005

remember ME?!

Keefaz posted:

What are folks' opinions on the ART Tube MP Studio preamp? A fella at work is offloading one for £40/$80.

Entry level, nothing spectacular. Better than behringer.

Crystal Pepsi
Feb 1, 2005

remember ME?!

olaf2022 posted:

My friend and I want to get into recording on his PC. We've recorded albums before, but it was at someone else's (analog) studio, so we really don't know a whole lot of what to buy to do it ourselves on a PC. We have all the music equipment and mics we'd need but we're unsure about the recording hardware.

We want something to let us record probably 8 or more separate tracks (I'm not sure if that's limited to hardware or software). Cost isn't much of an issue, so we're wondering if we should go with one of these $2200 Digidesign Pro Tools setups, or if that's overkill and we should use something simple like a regular sound card with a breakout box and different software or what. Versatility and quality is important, but it should hopefully be something that isn't TOO difficult to learn to use either. Any help is greatly appreciated.

That digidesign factory bundle is pretty much exactly what you want (assuming you're using a Mac computer). Go for it, you could probably save some cash ordering from someone other than musiciansfriend though.

Crystal Pepsi
Feb 1, 2005

remember ME?!

olaf2022 posted:

Thanks, but why "assuming you're using a Mac"? The site says it's compatible with both WinXP and OSX...

Protools was designed for the Mac, I guess it runs on XP as well, but I wouldnt trust it on one, personally.

Crystal Pepsi
Feb 1, 2005

remember ME?!

RivensBitch posted:

He's here asking for opinions. Mine is obviously different from yours, try not to be an rear end.

Crystal Pepsi
Feb 1, 2005

remember ME?!

RivensBitch posted:

I've had nothing but success with the 828mkII

It's been said before, but I've had *horrible* problems with my 828mkII.

It seems to be really finicky with your firewire card as well as other things.

Problems I've had:
-828 completely failed to work with my previous firewire card

-When switching between sources of different sample rates (CD / winamp / nuendo / youtube ) throughout the course of the day, the motu clock tends to 'flip out' until you stop all audio and flip the sample rate manually.

-It used to just *not work* intermittently requiring several reboots. This was fixed eventually after several firmware / driver updates, though I'm still scared to unplug it from my firewire port.

Basically I've been saving for a rosetta 800 that should be showing up in a week or so which *should* be the end of my troubles.

On the other hand, when it does work it sounds very good for the pricerange.

It should be noted that I was able to eventually fix (i think) two of these three problems, and learned to avoid the third.

Crystal Pepsi fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 28, 2007

Crystal Pepsi
Feb 1, 2005

remember ME?!

WanderingKid posted:

Is it true that the pres on the 828MKII/Ultralite/Traveller become really noisy when you use the interface in high humidity? Some people claim they are really sensitive to temperature swings.

This would explain a few things....

I don't unrack mine too often but this seems to ring true.

Crystal Pepsi
Feb 1, 2005

remember ME?!

The Huntsman posted:

Well I am using a PC and a MOTU 8pre. I needed firewire so I bought a PCI card, however even though it is supposed to be plug and play it doesn't seem to be working. Any tips on getting firewire straight on a PC?

Welcome to my hell.

MOTU is a pain in the rear end to get working over PC firewire. As has been stated, your Firewire card needs to have the TI chipset in order to work correctly. If you google around, you can find out which products use this chipset.

Crystal Pepsi
Feb 1, 2005

remember ME?!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Hey! Hey! We are going to answer my question, and we are going to do it with some god drat pizzaz around here! Do I make myself clear?!

your M-audio should be more than enough for gaming, I'd probably just take out the x-fi

tanner4105 posted:

Quick question:

I have a Presonus Firepod and I left the power adapter for it at home an hour and a half away. But I do have a power adapter for my Presonus HP4 Headphone Amp. The only problem is the voltage on the headphone amp adapter is 16 VAC and the Firepod is 15 VAC.

If I use the 16VAC adapter on the 15VAC interface will it gently caress it up or is the difference to little?

It's generally not good to feed a power supply more voltage than it's designed for. If the amp rating (might be in MillaAmps) is similar then it *should* be ok though, I'd watch it for overheating.

Crystal Pepsi fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 11, 2007

Crystal Pepsi
Feb 1, 2005

remember ME?!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Crystal Pepsi, I love ya. Another thing I was just curious about while I was diagramming my studio (everything's in storage so I'm just scribbling down ideas to make sure I've got everything in order).

Do I lose anything by not having an outboard preamp? I usually plug my mic directly into the soundcard (or in the new setup, my mixer), and it seems to me that would work fine because I could apply all the preamp processing to the dry signal once it's in the computer. This would also seem to have the added benefit of not making any preamp tweaks permanent to the track.

Mic -> Soundcard -> Plugins
Mic -> Preamp -> Soundcard

Any difference? You decide, at 11!

What Jobless drunk said, basically. A few things really do need to be done in analog.

You said you have a mixer though? What make/model? Most mixers will have a preamp built into each channel, so you might not even have to worry =]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystal Pepsi
Feb 1, 2005

remember ME?!

duck monster posted:

Is there much value in grabbing an old 8track 1/2 inch, to record into, which I can dump into protools afterwoods, or is it just more dry solder joints to gently caress my signal chain with?

Tape can be really cool, but there's a maintenance factor involved. Especially on older machines. You might want to check on how easy it is to find parts for and maintain any deck you're looking at buying, or if that model has a legacy whether it be bad or good.